Anyone here actually PLAYED a vintage guitar?

One-armed Alec

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

damn. you looked like a badass mofo back in the day!

As opposed to the cuddly old fella I am today.

'Balled', by the way, is archaic hippie-speak -- I'm amazed that it still survives, even in Israel -- for 'laid' or 'had sexual intercourse.'

Nothing to do with genital torture -- unless, of course, that happens to be your idea of a good time.

• Members
The only ones I've actually owned of that era were Rickenbacker 12 strings; a '65 360/12 (which is the only guitar I really regret selling) and a '66 450 Convertible. The 360 was amazing and the 450 was so so.

The Fenders I've played of that era are for the most part nice guitars, but nothing exceptional.

The Gibsons are all over the map; I've played some horrible SGs and SG/Les Pauls, but I've played some amazing Les Paul Juniors of the SG bodied years. An old friend of mine owns a wonderful '61 ES-345 that I borrow to record with, and another has a '57 Les Paul Special that I've used on more than one track.

ew

Tired a Custom Shop S.G. Special V.O.S. (New) Very Big let down, looked
great, but tonally, nothing inspiring at all. Adjusted pup pole pieces and
still the same. My old '63 S.G. Jnr same color (faded to Cinnamon) opened
the case, strummed the strings, closed her up. Went on holiday for three
weeks, came back opened the case.....still ringing !!:) Ahhh Good Wood.
Dried properly (by Air ) before manufacture, not Micro- Waved like they do
today to reduce moisture. :cool:

• Members

Tired a Custom Shop S.G. Special V.O.S. (New) Very Big let down, looked

great, but tonally, nothing inspiring at all. Adjusted pup pole pieces and

still the same. My old '63 S.G. Jnr same color (faded to Cinnamon) opened

the case, strummed the strings, closed her up. Went on holiday for three

weeks, came back opened the case.....still ringing !!
:)
Ahhh Good Wood.

Dried properly (by Air ) before manufacture, not Micro- Waved like they do

today to reduce moisture.
:cool:

Like your handle, BTW -- now that's SERIOUS amp esoterica.

• Members

I owned a '56 Les Paul Junior; it had a very old, weather-checked and battered refin and non-original tuners but the neck was fabulous and the all-important P90 tone was there in spades. Definitely one I should have hung onto.

• Members

Way back (80s) I used to play on a friend's early 60s SG Junior that he got from an uncle that died. I had no idea what I was playing and no real concept of tone but I liked it alright. We just thought of it as an old beater (and treated it as such) that was barely a step up from his Teisco Tulip. I still remember the crackled blue finish, thinking "Damn, this guitar would be pretty nice with a nice, new finish". I'm curious what the guitar would fetch if it's still in the decent condition it was in back then and shudder to think about the way we treated that guit.

Also played a late 50s Strat. Nice, but nothing to write home about. It was a Strat, not all that different from my 96 MIM. At least in my hands.

• Members

I think all this stuff about vintage guitars is nonsense. I don't think they are different or sound better than their modern counterparts. What's all this, "it has a vintage type neck...blah,blah" Necks are either wide or narrow. I bought a bog standard American strat in mid 90s. So I suppose one day that will be vintage and everyone will be saying in 2040 "hey a 90s strat.What a guitar...!Why anyone would want to splash out

• Members

Sorry but you're wrong. The 6119-1962HT Gretsch is a beautiful guitar that plays wonderfully and anyone who has one should be proud of it. BUT, it is not the guitar that an original 1962 is. The original has a much thinner finish and resonates much better than the RI. The tone is not necessarily better but it is different. The two are meant to be identical but aren't. The difference in finishes also makes the two feel different. With age the body vibrates differently that a new piece of wood does. You get more body and less just string vibration.

• Members

I've own 200+ guitar (only have 30+ now)and played hundred more . As far as fenders goes they are made more consistent today they don't seem to vary as much as the vintage ones.That said there I think the guitar has to vibrate and be played to mature in to those "Magic " guitars. As for Gibson the 50's &60's their QC was much better and the guitars were more consistent and they seemed to have more really great ones from that era.

• Members

As opposed to the cuddly old fella I am today.

'Balled', by the way, is archaic hippie-speak -- I'm amazed that it still survives, even in Israel -- for 'laid' or 'had sexual intercourse.'

Nothing to do with genital torture -- unless, of course, that happens to be your idea of a good time.

If it qualifies as light S&M it's not all that bad.

• Members

As for the modern guitar Both fender and Gibson both had a really Bad run in the early Mid 70- mid 80's some really horrible guitars were made.(you'ld have to go through dozen of guitars to fine a really good one ) Fender MIJ Strats from tha era were better then the USA model. Also alot of new builders started during that time with really wonderful high quality handmade guitars like BC Rich , Jackson/Charvel, Ect,and production guitars Like Kramer and the Japanese guitars ESP ,Ibanez ect. I don't own any guitars newer than 1989. I go in and try the new guitars they play nice but nothing empresses me enough to buy a new one.

• Members

Sorry but you're wrong. The 6119-1962HT Gretsch is a beautiful guitar that plays wonderfully and anyone who has one should be proud of it. BUT, it is not the guitar that an original 1962 is. The original has a much thinner finish and resonates much better than the RI. The tone is not necessarily better but it is different. The two are meant to be identical but aren't. The difference in finishes also makes the two feel different. With age the body vibrates differently that a new piece of wood does. You get more body and less just string vibration.

Rick. I can guarantee you that both Gretches vintage and new played side by side on the same amp - no one would be able to tell the difference

• Members

I had a fellow bring this over a while back to see if I could identify it.I did a serial # search and it came back as a "59".Put new strings on it and it played and sounded great.

http://59LesPaul002.jpg

I also ran across a guy playing this "59" at a "bristol" race pre-party.It played pretty good also.

http://bristol004.jpg

• Members

Vintage guitars are just old guitars and only really have sentimental and financial value. Build quality onnew guitars is excellent. I borrowed a friends brand new Gibson LP Classic recently and plays better than a vintage I tried out in Denmark Street last year.

• Members

Rick. I can guarantee you that both Gretches vintage and new played side by side on the same amp - no one would be able to tell the difference

I played them both and bought the vintage because I could hear, and feel, the difference.

• Members
I owned a '56 Les Paul Junior; it had a very old, weather-checked and battered refin and non-original tuners but the neck was fabulous and the all-important P90 tone was there in spades. Definitely one I should have hung onto.

'56 was a good year.........
56gibsonlpA-1.jpg
56gibsonlpbod1-1.jpg
56gibsonlpbod3-1.jpg
56gibsonlpp901-1.jpg
56gibsonlpheadstock-1.jpg

• Members

My ES-335 ('65-'68)

Had it since the late 70's. Plays like butter, very stable.

65es3354bsmalldw4.jpg

Also, the Gibson in my Avatar (late 50's hollowbody, 2 p/u's no cutaway). That one had neck issues. Big, warm sound, but I wasn't into straight ahead jazz at the time. Wish I still had it.

Here's a '64(?) Melody Maker refurb/rewire job I did for a friend. Big, chunky neck, got the action down to effortless. I love that single coil and the interaction of the volume and tone controls.

64melodymaker1bsmall1ms6.jpg

Here's a couple of shots of the '69 SG I traded for the ES-335. The one on the left is the day I got it (friend checking it out).

mysgmq6.jpg

• Members

-My friend owns a 59 (58?) grestch duo jet that i've played a few times. now, i'm not a vintage snob (i don't own anything pre-2000 in fact) but this thing has mojo that makes my guitars seem like toys:

n701760071_2491551_6889.jpg

-that guy's dad is a collector. he owns a '55 3-tone burst strat that i had the privilege to play once. it was cool, but TBH i'd rather have the grestch if i couldn't sell either.

• 1 month later...

Archived