NGD: Eastwood Saturn 63

ArKay

• Members

Another one from my loooong wishlist. Finally came across a good deal on one in Ireland. My expectations weren't too high after having read some of the reviews, so I wasn't all that disappointed when I got it. Would I have paid full street price? Sure not.

All in all it's a nice guitar with a few issues. It's Eastwood's interpretation of the HOPF Saturn 63 made famous by the Star Club in Hamburg. Eastwood claims that it would be a "painstaking reproduction" of the original, but they took a few liberties.

The neck has nicely finished frets and it feels pretty comfortable, the single coil pickups sound OK if not a bit dark for single coils. The guitar has 2 chickenhead knobs for pickup and tone selection. The first one is a 4-way rotary which changes the tone, the 2nd is a 3-way for the pickups.

After unwrapping the guitar one of the metal f-hole bindings fell off, it was simply glued on. I don't know if superglue will fix that, but I will have to find out. The metal binding on the body is screwed on at places with a few nails thrown in to keep it in the body. It lifts off slightly here and there.

Also, the pickup routes aren't done too well and the bridge pickup leans heavily on the right side.

Model Name: SATURN 63

Colour: Sunburst

Body: Laminated Maple, Chrome Bound Body and F-Hole

Neck: Maple, Bolt-on

Fingerboard: Rosewood, Dot Markers

Scale Length: 24 3/4"

Width at Nut: 1 5/8" ZERO Fret

Pickups: Two Vintage Ceramic Single Coils

Switching: 3-Way

Controls: 4-way tone, 3-way p/u selector, master volume, optional XLR out

Bridge: Vintage Mosrite Style Adjustable Roller Bridge, Tremolo Tail

Hardware: Gotoh Nickel/Chrome

Strings: D'Addario #10

saturn63_01.jpg

saturn63_02.jpg

saturn63_03.jpg

saturn63_04.jpg

saturn63_05.jpg

saturn63_06.jpg

saturn63_07.jpg

saturn63_08.jpg

saturn63_09.jpg

saturn63_10.jpg

• Members

HNGD!!!

Unfortunate about the issues, but at least they are cosmetic. Plus, as you say, you can fix them.

Do you mind me asking where in Ireland you got it? Was it new or second hand? I wasn't aware there was a shop here stocking them.

• Members

HNGD!!!

Unfortunate about the issues, but at least they are cosmetic. Plus, as you say, you can fix them.

Do you mind me asking where in Ireland you got it? Was it new or second hand? I wasn't aware there was a shop here stocking them.

It was new, still had the foil on the control plate.

They have Eastwoods, Reverends and some other cool stuff! Good shop, the guy seems nice. Even gave me a free shirt :D

http://www.candyappleredguitars.com/

Edit: Bought it from their eBay store tho.. Worth watching http://stores.ebay.ie/candy-apple-red-guitars

• Members

Eastwood is doing some awesome designs. I love their business model, even if I am not crazy about the quality/price ratio.

Congrats on the Saturn, though. It's looks totally sexy to me. How's it sounding to you? Kinda plinky like a jazzmaster or jaguar?

• Members

Eastwood is doing some awesome designs. I love their business model, even if I am not crazy about the quality/price ratio.

Congrats on the Saturn, though. It's looks totally sexy to me. How's it sounding to you? Kinda plinky like a jazzmaster or jaguar?

I have played neither so I couldn't really tell. I will have to compare them to something similar, maybe against one of my P90 guitars to see what they are like. They sound pretty full and dark, probably due to the hollow body. I have played an EMG-equipped guitar before testing it so my ears might be biased :lol:

There's an Eastwood clip on youtube though.

• Members

It was new, still had the foil on the control plate.

They have Eastwoods, Reverends and some other cool stuff! Good shop, the guy seems nice. Even gave me a free shirt
:D

http://www.candyappleredguitars.com/

Edit: Bought it from their eBay store tho.. Worth watching
http://stores.ebay.ie/candy-apple-red-guitars

Excellent, thank you. I remember when that guy was starting out - he mainly sold Gretsch. Nice to see that he has diversified.

• Members

Of all the clips on their website, I think that guitar sounds the best. I've owned 3 other Eastwoods and loved them all. I currently only have one left, but I can safely say I won't ever get rid of it. It's the H44 Stratotone copy and it sounds amazing. Great minihums in that thing.

• Members

Of all the clips on their website, I think that guitar sounds the best. I've owned 3 other Eastwoods and loved them all. I currently only have one left, but I can safely say I won't ever get rid of it. It's the H44 Stratotone copy and it sounds amazing. Great minihums in that thing.

Yeah, the H44 looks pretty sweet! Looks like Eastwood would be using standard pickups on most models (http://www.proline7.com/index/index.asp?mtype=pickups&etype=pickup2), the "Zippo" pickup is the LP-007 model, the Toaster LP-008, etc.

Zippo1.gif

Wasn't able to find the Saturn model, so they are probably build to custom specs.

631.gif

Archived