Why are women so crazy?

echoshock

• Members

Grammatical suggestions taken on board.

My little anthropological essay only describes what I believe to be humankind's legacy from way back. We've all evolved a neocortex since then, with which hopefully we can all make more modern, saner, tidier decisions about sex and anything else.

But I fear that our anthropological legacy is always crouching behind our clean, tidy millennial minds... a lot of scientific truths, one will find, are unpalatable to our modern sensibilities. It doesn't make them any less true, though. We don't, for example, like to admit to ourselves as a race that the Industrial Revolution--- for decades thought to be an undiluted blessing--- may have proven 90% responsible for today's global warming.

As for my upbringing? Yes, it was a nightmare, one I wouldn't wish on a worst enemy, and I'll be the first to admit I may be a little ...uh....jaundiced by it.

For example, I watched the movie WALK THE LINE yesterday, and you can bet I understood it only too well: lots of boozy Southern macho posturing, female shrieks and tears of hysteria, breaking things, and people acting like a bunch of mindless animals--- no, worse than animals--- all because of sex. In my home, my folks staged Showdown At The OK Corral at least once a week. I think I evolved music as an internal method of shutting out the constant fighting..... you know, the way comedians will plug their ears and say, "La-La-La-La....I can't hear you....La-La-La-La."

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As for my upbringing? Yes, it was a nightmare, one I wouldn't wish on a worst enemy, and I'll be the first to admit I may be a little ...uh....jaundiced by it.

Many folks are born into dysfunctional families, so you are not alone. Modern educational systems and laws have been placed into effect to curtail some of the abuses that have gone on for centuries; both for women and for children... and in some cases, men. It takes a much stronger man to walk away from a fight than it does to throw a fist into the face of someone weaker than himself. If anger is a problem, then hit a wall.... kick a rock.... go out and exercise to blow off the steam. Brute force is not the answer; the voice of reason will go much further and it will help to build a foundation rather than tear it down.

The same is true for the mother that beats her child into strict obedience rather than having patience and being firm with her child. Teaching a child respect and providing guidance goes a lot farther than blistering a kid's butt when they fall out of line or err. A person can be a figure of authority without brutality or abuse. If it means completely separating one's self from their past; a person HAS to break the chain to regain stability in their lives.

It's not a child's fault that they were born into a life of turmoil and abuse, but it IS their fault if they allow their past to continue controlling their present and the future.

For example, I watched the movie WALK THE LINE yesterday, and you can bet I understood it only too well: lots of boozy Southern macho posturing, female shrieks and tears of hysteria, breaking things, and people acting like a bunch of mindless animals--- no, worse than animals--- all because of sex. In my home, my folks staged Showdown At The OK Corral at least once a week. I think I evolved music as an internal method of shutting out the constant fighting..... you know, the way comedians will plug their ears and say, "La-La-La-La....I can't hear you....La-La-La-La."

Watching movies that "remind" you of the trauma you experienced throughout your youth does not provide a healing. Rather, they shower you with the poisons that tainted your life and rekindle the anxieties and the pain suffered. Maybe you find comfort in watching something that you can relate to, but does the movie offer resolve?

• Members

Grammatical suggestions taken on board.

My little anthropological essay only describes what I believe to be humankind's legacy from way back. We've all evolved a neocortex since then, with which hopefully we can all make more modern, saner, tidier decisions about sex and anything else.

But I fear that our anthropological legacy is always crouching behind our clean, tidy millennial minds... a lot of scientific truths...

Is there scientific truth in your anthropolgical essay? I dunno...I saw a history channel show about some "cavepeople". Nobody was duking on the dame, she was WAY to valuable. Or so they portrayed it. Given how the day to day was back then, what possible benefit is there in clubbing up an important, vital companion, thus creating an adversarial relationship? (Now if she looked like Rachel Welch did in those skins, I can certainly see fending off other males.) ;) Anyway, are there cavepaintings that show this drag them around by their hair "legacy"? :confused:

• Moderators

I've considered myself a feminist since the 70s (in the sense that feminists support an equal playing field for men and women -- something we have yet to achieve as a society, and that's painfully obvious) -- but I never thought it made any sense to ignore our biology or our history as a species. Jokiness aside, there's a fair bit of truth in this, seems to me.

I am with you and rasputin 100% on this. To say Ras' caveman scenario is politically incorrect or just... incorrect would be, well, incorrect. Old habits die hard. I'm a pacifist by and large, but when a caveman is rude to my cavelady and cavekid, I want to take my cave club and beat the living cave {censored} out of him. Pacifist or not. It's built into my genes. And my jeans. I come from a long, proud line of cavemen. I understand why sometimes I want to force the asshole in the new BMW 740 off the highway. I don't do it of course, but it's an affront to my status as top cave dweller.

It's in everyone of us...

• Members

I am with you and rasputin 100% on this. To say Ras' caveman scenario is politically incorrect or just... incorrect would be, well, incorrect. Old habits die hard. I'm a pacifist by and large, but when a caveman is rude to my cavelady and cavekid, I want to take my cave club and beat the living cave {censored} out of him. Pacifist or not. It's built into my genes. And my jeans. I come from a long, proud line of cavemen. I understand why sometimes I want to force the asshole in the new BMW 740 off the highway. I don't do it of course, but it's an affront to my status as top cave dweller.

It's in everyone of us...

And when your cavelady and cavekid aren't in lockstep with you.... then what?

• Moderators

And when your cavelady and cavekid aren't in lockstep with you.... then what?

You're seeing things that aren't there.

What?... if my cavelady decides she's top cave dweller perhaps? Well, that happened 10 years ago my friend. My point is that this stuff is programed inside. We evolve past it of course. I can control my urge toward violence, but to deny it's there is a lie. I imagine in 1000 years humans will be less violent still. And our move away from our roots will continue. But they are our roots.

Lockstep? I don't think so. Does the truth frighten you?

• Members

You're seeing things that aren't there.

What?... if my cavelady decides she's top cave dweller perhaps? Well,
that
happened 10 years ago my friend. My point is that this stuff is programed inside. We evolve past it of course. I can control my urge toward violence, but to deny it's there is a lie. I imagine in 1000 years humans will be less violent still. And our move away from our roots will continue. But they
are
our roots.

Lockstep? I don't think so. Does the truth frighten you?

But Ras's bit was about "why women are crazy"...not about general violent feelings toward any transgressor.

I'm on my second marriage, there have been some occassional fights, especially in the first. But I can honestly say I've never felt like hitting the woman. That would be a "loss" to me.

• Moderators

One's own better judgment is usually the best advice a person can find. Nobody knows yourself better than you. If you meet a chick that tries to change your ways, accommodating in the beginning to appease her will NOT change after you make her yours.... it only gets worse. The same is true vice-versa with man to woman.

DATE!!!! Go out and find out if the two of you are even compatible by spending time togther doing things that you enjoy doing; sports, music, movies, travel.... Do these things BEFORE romping in the hay if you are looking for ANYTHING of a relationship. Sex can offer a false sense of security and become a obstacle in genuinely getting to know a person.... plus it's WAY too risky to be jumping into bed with a stranger.

If you're just in it for casual sex, make damn sure that she is on the same page as what you are and that you BOTH practice safe sex. Intimacy can lead to insecurity; especially if one partner has stronger feelings than the other. Great lovers don't always make good spouses or companions, and at times, the compatibility does not extend beyond the bedroom. Actually, it's sometimes harder to walk away from a great lover that causes you grief in your life than someone that is just mediocre or lousy in bed who is a chump .... At times, when you are the restless spirit type, chemistry and passion will prevail over comfort and security.

Sex is indeed an important part of a relationship, but one must remember that sex is NOT the relationship itself. If you're not seeking a commitment while indulging in an intimate encounter, then keep your head and your heart out of it. If you don't, you'll go crazy.... You'll think your partner is crazy if all doesn't go as according to plan... You'll find yourself caught up in the HEAD GAMES and strapped inside an emotional rollercoaster that doesn't have brakes to slow the downward spirals....

Anyway, there's so much that can be said on this subject... but crazy is what you make of it.

BTW, I am using the word YOU in a third person sense that is not directed at anyone in particular.

Ani, I don't always agree with you but that above is a great post.

• Members

But Ras should discover the joys of breaking his writing into smaller, easier to read and absorb paragraphs. (Also, if one is going to eschew lines between single space paragraphs, he should certainly employ paragraph indents.)

And risk people actually reading and comprehending that diatribe? :eek:

• Moderators

But Ras's bit was about "why women are crazy"...not about general violent feelings toward any transgressor.

I'm on my second marriage, there have been some occassional fights, especially in the first. But I can honestly say I've never felt like hitting the woman. That would be a "loss" to me.

Who said anything about hitting a women. I think some here, myself included, are only trying to point out how our roots can effect our actions. The more we recognize this, the more we are able to move past it. No?

My points on violence were only to point out from direct, personal experience the connecting line between my roots and my feelings or even actions at times.

A woman isn't "crazy" to do certain things. She's smart... sometimes. As sometimes, for a man, to rise to the occasion and defend the cave is the smart thing to do. It is in our genetic makeup.

I'm anti violence all the way. I'm a feminist too. But sometimes when my wife and I disagree, we can later step back and laugh at how our inner cavepersons were rearing their ugly heads.

Understand your roots to better understand yourself.

• Members

Who said anything about hitting a women.

Rasputin1963--"This is why women are crazy.... They're always trying to live their life as best as they know how, but lingering in the back of her cavewoman mind is the omnipresent knowledge that man can beat the {censored} out of her physically."

What I may be in denial of is that this is self evident, or truth.

• Members

And I'd be willing to hazzard a guess that a study of recent tribal/stoneage societies will turn up considerably less abusive treatment of women than is seemingly presumed of them, and far less than exists in modern society.

Depends on the tribe, but studies have already been done and you're correct in many cases. Rape and spousal/child abuse were nearly unheard of in most Native American tribes, for example - even with captured enemy prisoners.

In fact, white pioneer wives and children running off to join Indian tribes, and/or not returning home if they were captured by them, was quite common for this reason. Not something that is talked about too often in mainstream history books. :lol:

• Members

In fact, white pioneer wives and children running off to join Indian tribes, and/or not returning home if they were captured by them, was quite common for this reason. Not something that is talked about too often in mainstream history books.
:lol:

Really? Where did you read this?

• Members

The human brain does not act as a single unanimous organ; rather, it is divided up into different parts.

Each part has a little function of its own, and each part manifested during particular millennia of primate development, due to man's various needs to adapt to this or that external stressor.

Some parts of our brain are "recent", like the neo-cortex; others are more "distant" in history, like our hypothalamus.

This is why you can have, say, a Columbine boy: modern, conforming, TV-watching, clothes-wearing, car-driving one minute...... and a ruthless, out-of-control killer the next. The outer neo-cortex surrendered power to the dictates of our "snake brain".

Damage to our thin outer neo-cortex can leave us vulnerable to the more instinctive, atavastic parts of our brains.... Those parts are always there, subtly coloring and directing every decision we make. That's why those GEICO caveman commercials are not nearly so fanciful or outlandish as we might think...

Most big-name serial killers---Bundy, Gein, Fish, Ramirez, Dahmer, you know the list-- are thought to have sustained some serious head trauma as little children.

• Members

/ Trapeze concert around 1971. The ticket was $4. (Ahh, the good ol' days... the older I get, the better they were!)

Quicksilver Messenger Service! :rawk:

Man, did I dig that band in the day. I saw them play at the Academy of Music in NYC many years ago. When we came out, it was 5:00 AM and the sun was coming up! :freak:

Archived