MIM Tele - why or why not?

rscornutt

• Members

I am seriously thinking about picking up a MIM Standard Telecaster at a local store, the price is $419 US. I have played it a few times and it seems a good guitar for about $400. I do not play Country, so having the country twang is no big deal for me. I play mostly Blues. I want a Tele, but not enough to spend a thousand bucks on one.

Give me pros and cons, please.

• Members

It really depends. Is it a standard MIM Tele? A 50s, 60s, or Baja Classic Player? '72 or '69 reissue?

That's kind of what it hangs on. I'll tell you this, MIM quality has greatly picked up over the last few years. The Classic Player guitars are some of the finest guitars on the market right now, especially the Baja. However, for $419, you may have better options available to you if it's just a standard.

• Members

I picked up a used Baja in great condition for $550. Can't recommend these things enough, especially if you can find a used one.

Quality control on mine is outstanding. No issues at all, doesn't need any upgrades.

• Members

I picked up a used Baja in great condition for $550. Can't recommend these things enough, especially if you can find a used one.

Quality control on mine is outstanding. No issues at all, doesn't need any upgrades.

Man, I'm really hoping I can find one at that price! :love:

Those are the subject of my latest GAS!

• Members

I owned two in my time. One was a candy apple from the late '90s and the other was sage green that I got in 2003..

Both were great (oh, and just the standard tele.) However, I have played some that weren't as nice as the ones I owned.

When I bought my 2003, I went to a shop fully planning to buy an MIA Tele that cost $1K more. But I played every tele in the place and it was the MIM that spoke to me. Really had nothing to do with price or where it was made; I just put it up against some MIAs and could see no reason why NOT to buy the MIM and pocket the difference.

• Members

I have a Highway One Tele, a FMT HH Tele, a personal build tele, a Samick tele, and a Xaviere tele. With that said, just recently I bought a 2000 MIM for around $200. While I changed the pickups on my MIM Strat, this 2000 MIM Tele has some great sounding pickups (IMHO). I already had pickups I wanted to use in it and now I'm torn. So, finally to answer your question, I don't think you can go wrong getting a MIM Tele, especially if you can find a good deal on a used one.

• Members

I played a MIM Tele recently that played and felt great. Don't feel like you're getting something so "inferior" with a MIM. I've got a MIM Strat that holds it's own quite nicely with my MIA Strat. I'd go so far as to say unless you've got a lot of spare $$$ you'd be crazy to NOT go with a MIM, as long as you find one that reaches out and grabs you. I'm planning a Tele purchase in the next few weeks, and while I could swing a MIA I'm going to play them all and see what happens!

• Members

The Mexican standards are great guitars. IMO the quality of the Mexican basic Mexican teles are better that the MIM standard Strats. Everyone on the forum will encourage you to try few of these sense there is some variation. I would seek out s used MIM before I purchased a new Squier. The price will be about the same.

I went with an American telecaster because I knew that tone fit my style of play. The tele my main guitar. Curtis Mayfield is one of my influences. If the telecaster sound is more novelty or some you use sparingly, MIM is a no brainer for you.

• Members

I'd say that a lot of the arguments that the MIM teles are better than the MIM strats has a lot to do with the simplicity of the tele because I've noticed it too. Not saying that the strats are that bad, but there is only so much on a tele that you can screw up.

I remember about 15 years ago just how horrible every MIM Fender I picked up was. I was kind of a snob about them for years and as soon as I saw MIM on the headstock I wouldn't even pick it up. They've really come along nicely and while the MIA teles are the {censored} the MIM stuff is probably the best bang for the buck import in terms of quality. I'm kind of on the fence on the Gibson/Epiphone thing and the price difference is pretty sizable, but so is the gap. The Fender stuff is a lot closer. New pickups would help a lot.

• Members

Thanks for all the replies. I have one question - the guitars on the Guitar Fetish site. It showed a nice tele-style guitar, XV-820, and the prices were not over $200. Is that for the actual guitars? If so, are they any good? If they are, I have found the answer to my question.

Archived