B string for E string..?

jvhc

• Members

So I had to re-string my guitar, and I didn't have a high e string.

But I had a few different packs that were different makes and gauges, and I noticed one pack contained a .11 gauge B string, and on another pack a .11 guage for the high E string. So I seeing as I didn't have the actual E string, I thought I'd whack one of the .11s that was supposed to be for a B string onto the E string.

It snapped as I snapped it back to stretch it out, but I was wondering if this should be alright, because surely they're exactly the same gauge, so pretty much the same string, just by a different make, right?

• Members

But I had a few different packs that were different makes and gauges, and I noticed one pack contained a .11 gauge B string, and on another pack a .11 guage for the high E string. So I seeing as I didn't have the actual E string, I thought I'd whack one of the .11s that was supposed to be for a B string onto the E string.

It snapped as I snapped it back to stretch it out, but I was wondering if this should be alright, because surely they're exactly the same gauge, so pretty much the same string, just by a different make, right?

Shouldn't be a problem, other than possibly intonation wandering slightly, as mentioned. Strings don't have notes until you tune them to a certain point.

• Members

bad idea.

to get to e pitch, and as a consequence of the additional mass of the b-string, you'd have to have a considerable amount of additional tension . this extra tension may or may not exceed the maximum permissible tension as specified by the manufacturer. You cannot be always sure that its the same string as sold in heavier sets so don't assume anything.

if you decide to do this, please keep your eyes and sensitive body parts away from the guitar. broken string can cause significant injuries.

• Members
bad idea.

to get to e pitch, and as a consequence of the additional mass of the b-string, you'd have to have a considerable amount of additional tension . this extra tension may or may not exceed the maximum permissible tension as specified by the manufacturer. You cannot be always sure that its the same string as sold in heavier sets so don't assume anything.

if you decide to do this, please keep your eyes and sensitive body parts away from the guitar. broken string can cause significant injuries.

That's either a troll or a pretty stupid comment. That same 11 that would be a B in a 9-42 set would also be an E in a heavier set.

• Members

let me get this right. someone is calling me a troll because i'm claiming that the laws of physics are not violated by a guitar string?

just because they are the same diameter does not mean they are made of the same construction, use same metallurgy or have the same nominal tension specification.

does a rubber band from brand A stretch the same as brand B if they are the same size? it depends on the composition of the rubber, vulcanization processes, quality, etc.

• Members

let me get this right. someone is calling me a troll because i'm claiming that the laws of physics are not violated by a guitar string?

just because they are the same diameter does not mean they are made of the same construction, use same metallurgy or have the same nominal tension specification.

does a rubber band from brand A stretch the same as brand B if they are the same size? it depends on the composition of the rubber, vulcanization processes, quality, etc.

You don't get it. An 11 gauge string from a manufacturer is just that, an 11 gauge string. It is the same string that they would package in a 9-42 set as a B as it is when packaged in an 11-54 set as an E string. Same string. It gets used as an E in one set and a B in the other set. I use an 11 for E and a 12 for B on my guitars because I like the extra tonal fatness of the E string that way.

• Members

I think what they are saying is that if you take two different sets of Earnie Ball Slinkys - the B string from a set of 2223 and an A string from a set of 3227 - they will pretty much be the same thing.

• Members
You don't get it. An 11 gauge string from a manufacturer is just that, an 11 gauge string. It is the same string that they would package in a 9-42 set as a B as it is when packaged in an 11-54 set as an E string. Same string. It gets used as an E in one set and a B in the other set. I use an 11 for E and a 12 for B on my guitars because I like the extra tonal fatness of the E string that way.

That's what I was trying to say. And I like the fatness too.

• Members

When you buy single strings out of the big box of singles they aren't designated for particular uses. If you need a replacement for a light acoustic high E, a .012 will work fine. Likewise you can use a plain .011 on an electric for a high E, plenty of medium electric sets start with one.

• Members

ok by that logic you go out and buy $1.99 rogue string sets and I'll stick to my d'addarios. after all, they're the same right?

I dont like d'adarios, but if I did, and I broke the top E, I wouldn't have a problem using the 1st from the Rogues.

:thu:

:thu:

• Members

ok by that logic you go out and buy $1.99 rogue string sets and I'll stick to my d'addarios. after all, they're the same right?

Since when was the discussion about quality of strings? I thought it was about gauge.

An 11 from a cheap set of strings will still be an 11, no?

• Members

What was the gauge of the string that broke?

(Intent of user apparently changes the laws of physics.)

• Members

You're kind of missing the point. An .11 string made by D'addario is going to be pretty much the same as any other .11 string made by D'addario, whether its in a pack where it's labeled as an E string or in a pack where it's the B string.

• Members

I haven't seen so much bull{censored} in a while.

tlbonehead is right.

If you buy a single string you just buy a .11. Not a .11B or .11E:lol:

If it's the same material and the same gauge ITS THE FOOKING SAME THING, not pretty much the same thing, but THE SAME THING!

Surely there are some WOUND strings that have different tensions, like the GHS low sets which i like, due to larger cores, for instance. But a plain 11 is a plain 11.:rolleyes:

Archived