PhilPhest 2007 Photos

UstadKhanAli

• Members

Great photos ken... what camera do you have?

Are you into pro photography? you have some nice chots there, speacially the one with the sunset

Thanks! Although not my main gig, I do get paid for some of my photography, and have had my travel photos appear in numerous magazines and books and encyclopedias. I've also done a few advertisement gigs.

The camera is a Nikon D50 with an 18-70mm lens.

Thank you!

• Members

Thats great ken, did you take photography courses?

No, I've never taken one. I love looking at photographs and wondering why - or how - they took it. And if something looks really beautiful or strikes me as interesting, I'll go ahead and take a photo of it if I can. And sometimes it doesn't translate, no matter how hard I try.

But in taking all these photos for many years, I've learned some things that work and some that don't. I personally love really candid shots, or at least, shots where people are relaxed. And also, one of the things I like about photography is that it often puts me in this mindset where I'm even more receptive to beautiful or visually interesting things, which I really like.

Here's one example from PhilPhest:

DSC_0685foxtick.jpg

Now, if I didn't have a camera, I may have not noticed Rumspringa and Foxtick enjoying each other's company. It's intimate, happy moment, and Phil's comfortable backyard frames them beautifully. And just thinking about looking for beautiful things made me more receptive to this moment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's another "moment" that I photographed that is perhaps more obvious (and no, this is not in Phil's back yard!! :D ):

DSC_0722temple.jpg

This is a Hindu temple in Calabasas, near Malibu, in California. For this one, the temple was, I thought, quite beautiful, so this is perhaps more obvious.

But of course, the thing that struck me was how beautiful the clouds looked, with the sun peaking through the clouds and over the top of the temple.

And even though most photographers don't aim their cameras right at the sun, and convention told me to move to the other side of the parking lot so that the sun wasn't glaring into the lens, I nevertheless thought it was really gorgeous looking this way and wanted to capture that.

• Members

jejejeje....

That is beautiful ken... i like to take pictures too. I dont have a decent camera, but as you say capturing the moment is what makes a shot meaningful. I travel a lot working with some musicians that are 4 hours from my home. When i am driving to that place ill usually stop and take pictures of flowers, animals, houses... what ever. They always ask me... where did you go??? they dont realize that these are the same places they usually visit, just that they are looking them the way i look at them...

[bad joke] What i am trying to say is... ken shares with me that greenish thing he is smoking :D [bad joke]

• Members

I had always said that I would not buy a digital SLR camera until it did everything that my film camera did. I wanted it to focus quickly and efficiently, be able to take up to three shots per second, have no delay when photographing, look great, take hundreds of shots with one battery charge, and cost about the same as my film camera did when I first purchased it.

I got that with the Nikon D50. I think I paid about $700 or $750 for that, the 18-70mm lens, two batteries, card reader, case, and a bunch of other stuff. Then I purchased a couple of fast flashcards. The camera works well, and doesn't fight me for the shot.

And like I say, at least for me, in an interesting way, it makes me more aware and appreciative of my surroundings, even if I'm just driving or walking around my neighborhood.

Don't worry, Alphajerk, I'll share some of these brownies with you!

Speaking of brownies, someone left a whole tray full of them over here... :snax:

:snax:

:snax: :snax: :snax: :snax: :snax::thu:

It's one of the fringe benefits of throwing a party. ;):D

Archived