Should I get my Gibson "Plek'd"?

rawk100

• Members

I had my old Les Paul Custom refretted recently with jumbo frets but I feel that the finishing could be better cause there's a bit of buzz and the ends are a little sharp in places. I'm thinking of having it set up on a Plek machine (automatic fret dressing machine thingy) and was wondering if anybody has had their guitar frets plek'd and if it turned out OK? There's not many plek machines around so I don't know if I'll get much of a response.......

• Members

Unless you are AMAZINGLY picky, I'd say the luthier who re-fretted it did an inadequate finishing job.

Before spending money on a Plek-job, I'd go back to them and politely complain about it. See if they are willing to make it right.

• Members

I did take it back for a second dressing but it still buzzes and the ends are still sharp in places, I've given up on this guy to be honest. He's done a really neat job but his finishing just doesn't cut it. I may speak to him again but wanted to find out more on the Plek first.

• Members

Ah. Well, in that case, they probably did the best job they are capable of, and you need to go to somebody else anyway, plek machine or not.

I've never once heard of anybody getting a guitar Plek'd that was unhappy with it, though I've never had it done myself. All my guitars were set up by hand.

• Members

OK, my question is this. A Plek machine can true a fret within 1/100th of an inch. Can a good luthier do a better job? I'll bet that there are some that can.

My guess is that Gibson is getting a lot of mileage out of the Plek because it saves a lot of money on the labor intensive process of dressing frets by hand. So Plek guitars should be cheaper than hand dressed fretwork.

• Members

One of my guitars was Plekked very recently, and it's certainly consistent across all frets, but here's a caveat:

Where do you live?

I'm in the annoyingly humid DC area, and it plays totally differently than when it had the Plek done (January), and requires constant tinkering with the weather being so variable.

If you live in a place with stable weather, go for it, but if not, you should probably save your money.

• Members

If you live in a place with stable weather, go for it, but if not, you should probably save your money.

I'm in merry ole England so we don't tend to get high humidity alot, it just rains! But you've made a good point.....

To me Plek'ing seems the only way to go to be certain of getting a good finish. I wish I could get it done by hand but I don't trust anybody, the guy who did the initial refretting was recommended to me......! :facepalm:

• Members

What amount of buzzing are we talking about here? You do know that it's almost impossible to have absolutely no buzz anywhere on the fretboard, right?

Yep, I realise that. I'm comparing it to my other Les Paul which seems to have alot less buzz (although not buzz-free). There's buzzing on the majority of the bottom E and at several places on all the other strings. I've adjusted the string height but that didn't work. I like a low action so I don't want to raise the strings anyway.

• Members

OK, my question is this. A Plek machine can true a fret within 1/100th of an inch. Can a good luthier do a better job? I'll bet that there are some that can.

My guess is that Gibson is getting a lot of mileage out of the Plek because it saves a lot of money on the labor intensive process of dressing frets by hand. So Plek guitars should be cheaper than hand dressed fretwork.

Plek machines are expensive, and, IIRC, require a licensing fee on every guitar run through the machine.

But, I think in the long run, it would provide better results with less skilled (lower paid) workers.

• Members

I just had my LPVM done a little while ago.

Here's a detailed thread all about it:

Thanks for the link. You mentioned that Plek could cut nuts too? I may just do the plek then. I mean the local place wants to charge 100 bucks to cut the nut alone. Might as well get the plek job done for a little extra if it can cut the nut too!

• Members

One of my guitars was Plekked very recently, and it's certainly consistent across all frets, but here's a caveat:

Where do you live?

I'm in the annoyingly humid DC area, and it plays totally differently than when it had the Plek done (January), and requires constant tinkering with the weather being so variable.

Where'd you have your Plek done? I'm in the D.C. area and have been thinking of taking a couple of my guitars to Crossroads Guitar Shop. I'm wondering about things like: do you leave the guitars, how long does it take, etc.?

• Members

Thanks for the link. You mentioned that Plek could cut nuts too? I may just do the plek then. I mean the local place wants to charge 100 bucks to cut the nut alone. Might as well get the plek job done for a little extra if it can cut the nut too!

The Plek job was $175 without cutting a new nut. A new bone nut was $50 extra (cut and installed).

• Members

Jesse J. might be willing to do a nut-cut for free. Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;)

• Members

I had mine done at Charlie Chandlers just a few weeks ago. I love it, the guys did a great job and it plays like butter.

One caveat though. I asked them to get the action as low as possible, they did but there is a fair amount of fret buzz. I don't mind, it doesn't affect the amplified sound so I can live with it. But if you feel as strongly about fret buzz as you seem to you should mention that to them in the shop.

• Members

Yep, I realise that. I'm comparing it to my other Les Paul which seems to have alot less buzz (although not buzz-free). There's buzzing on the majority of the bottom E and at several places on all the other strings. I've adjusted the string height but that didn't work. I like a low action so I don't want to raise the strings anyway.

Do you have enough relief in the neck?

When I changed the gauge of my strings, my LP buzzed like a mofo till I adjusted the truss rod

Archived