Windows Vista - what are tweaks for more efficient operation?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I got a new HP running Vista Business 64 bit. I'm not going to make any decisions until I get a chance to try Cakewalk 7 64 bit on it. The bigger problem is music software that does not like Vista. Among other things I have a few favorite VSTi's that don't like Vista. Definately not a trouble free jump to Vista, but not as bad as trying to share files between workers that use Office XP and Office 2007.

• Members

but not as bad as trying to share files between workers that use Office XP and Office 2007.

does that patch for XP machines not work? i have kept all my offices out of Vista until they are ALL ready to move ahead to it [after SP1 drops]... but we need a few new laptops which apparently only come now with Vista. i was thinking of just removing it and putting XP on it, but was kind of hoping the XP/2007 office patch worked properly.

• Members

Well, if it's just XP, sure...but since it's a "downgrade disc", who knows what idiocy may ensue.

unless i read that post wrong, the salesguy was claiming hardware within the machine wouldnt work. the only thing i am aware of in the future is directX10 [directXX?] wont be supported in XP.

• Members

Any new system you buy that comes with Vista can run XP. Period. It's just a matter of finding the correct XP drivers, FWIW.

Well that's the problem I was having, finding the drivers for the devices installed in my laptop. I hate turning my computer off, so when the computer couldn't go into standby, I mean the standby button was shaded off.

But so far I love Vista, the screen looks like liquid/gel and I have not had any problems with it. All I can say is that it's a freaking "RAM" hog.

All my programs are running well. Dreamweaver, Fireworks, Flash and Paint Shop Pro X.

I do not use my laptop for music, just graphics designs. I have an HP Desk Top and it still works like new. Use it for music only, no letters, internet, or anything else.

AI

Patrick.

• Members
All I can say is that it's a freaking "RAM" hog.

Yes, and no :D. You need 1GB (2GB is better) for Vista to run well. However, one difference with Vista is that the base OS will *grab* the majority of RAM and will release it to applications when needed. This is why Vista appears to use so much RAM vs. XP.

• Members

plus, RAM is CHEAP... and you can pack a LOT of it in there only limited by your MOBO, i can put 8GB in mine. most servers can hold 32GB [although that RAM is more pricey and 32 would cost @ $11k i think... but thinking how much i could RAM preview in AE makes me drool].

• Members

... but we need a few new laptops which apparently only come now with Vista. i was thinking of just removing it and putting XP on it, but was kind of hoping the XP/2007 office patch worked properly.

I was talking about Microsoft Office XP and 2007, not Windows. When I upgraded a PC from Office XP to Office 2007 it lost all macros and wanted to convert all Access databases. Office 2007 will not open an Access database without converting it, and if it converts it users of Office XP cannot open the database. You can no longer buy Office XP and we cannot afford to upgrade everyone to Office 2007 so having users of each is a nightmare for us.

• Members

When XP first came out, it was considered a bloated, unreliable mess that required too much disk space, was slow, and needed hardware way in advance of what was available at the time. It was unuseable unless you had at least a whopping 512MB of RAM, and required turning off the "eye candy" to make it work decently.

A couple service packs later, and the usual advances in hardware, and now XP is considered lean, mean, and stable.

This isn't to say Vista is ready for prime time. But it will be, and I suspect that five years from now, when "New Operating System" comes out, people will be talking about how great Vista was, and how the new one is a bloated, unreliable mess that requires too much disk space, is slow, and needs hardware way in advance of what is available at the time.

It's also fun to read what people said about System 7 and OS X when they first came out :) History does repeat itself!

• Members

Well yeah, that's why I never upgrade if I can help it, until a product has been out 6 months to a year and they've released a couple of service packs.

It's not the specific product I hate, it's the policy of releasing everything before it's ready for prime time. If it's a beta, call it a beta and don't make people pay for it. And don't make us beta testers without our permission. I don't doubt Vista will be great in a year, but meanwhile I'd rather keep using XP. I need to spend my time getting stuff done, not screwing around with the OS.

• Members

I've been working on VISTA since February. I've noticed that VISTA functions much better once it has auto-downloaded all its updates directly from the Microsoft site; to date, that is about 135Mb worth of stuff.

But last night, I deleted VISTA 32-bit and completely replaced it with VISTA 64-bit. (you have to buy the 64-bit disk directly from Microsoft; if you already own the 32-bit version, it costs $9.00 to receive the 64-bit version by snail-mail) I'm so curious now as to whether I'll see any dramatic differences in speed/efficiency and what-not.

Still, I turn off all VISTA's "eye candy" since I just am not that charmed by it and would rather concentrate everything on performance...

• Members

I just got a new Vista machine. It's a Dell Inspiron C2D 2.0 with 2gig of ram. I run Vista home basic. No aero, no media center stuff. So far it seems like a very solid machine. I feel sorry for the people writing drivers for audio interfaces. From what I can see,(not miles and miles), the usb and firewire spec in vista is still a work in progress. For that I thiink MS deserves some flak and slow sales. They have put much more effort into preventing you from using the computer in ways that compromise content, than in makining sure that your computer can work properly.I am still trying ti figure out what will be the best audio interface for Vista. I am hoping that some reasonbly priced pcie cards will come out, and that a Vista spec will allow them to deliver audio. I think you need as much bandwith as possible. I am thinking the DRM overhead guarding USB, Firewire, and PCI, is to high to deliver a reliable signal without ocassional noises that don't really need to be there.Hopefully, with more bandwith, they can do all the bus spying,polling or whatever the hell they do, and still pass a reliable signal. I think how well audio works on Vista comes down to MS,Intel and the DRM gang. I think Vista is going to be a great OS. Hopefully, it will at some point do pro audio right.

• Members

Vista has been Microsoft's greatest mistake! :D

I hope it sends them crushing down to the ground like they deserve to. :)

I work in a huge multinational and for some reason beyond my comprehension they are pushing to deploy all our machines to Vista by the end of the year... all our systems are starting to fail and I love it! :D

Whoever thinks Vista is great has never worked in a professional IT environment... :o I really hope Microsoft pays for this and gets rid of the stupid mentality that they can drive the industry the way they want it.

Worst thing is that I'm an IT trainer and I have to train my company on this piece of junk... :freak:

• Members

My gripe, as a CIO, is there are too many versions of Vista. We are on a tight budget and we buy budget computers. Most of those come with Vista Home. And upgrade to Vista Business is $200. Comepare that to $400 that I normally pay for a computer with either XP or Vista Home and the $200 I am supposed to add just for network support in the OS is stupid. Some employees are using Vista Home, but anyone using Microsoft Great Plans does has to use Vista Pro or go through a setup routine every time they start the program.

• Members

Well yeah, that's why I never upgrade if I can help it, until a product has been out 6 months to a year and they've released a couple of service packs.

It's much better that way. I agree...I have a distaste for software companies "beta testing" on the public. It's also good to wait a while for the audio software companies to catch up to the new OS.

• Members

I've done some volume licensing in the past. I work for a non-profit regional mental health agency in one of the poorest areas in the nation. I really work to maximise dollars and one way was to buy refurbished PC's. These frequently come with something wrong that is easy to fix; loose card, broken end on a SATA cable, wire laying in the CPU fan. Easy to fix and for a few minutes of work you get a computer with twice the power or features. Most of the time these are HP's and until recently it was easy to find these with XP Pro. Now about all I can find offered on those is Vista Home and it has really thrown me.

• Members

I was talking about Microsoft Office XP and 2007, not Windows. When I upgraded a PC from Office XP to Office 2007 it lost all macros and wanted to convert all Access databases. Office 2007 will not open an Access database without converting it, and if it converts it users of Office XP cannot open the database. You can no longer buy Office XP and we cannot afford to upgrade everyone to Office 2007 so having users of each is a nightmare for us.

yeah you can, i just bought 3 copies of it for a client... i have a bit hesitant to start migrating them to 2007 in a mixed office between 2003 [im assuming you are saying thats XP, or is XP teh version prior to 2003?]. next year after SP1 drops on Vista the whole office will migrate to that. all machines they now currently run except for a few laptops [which will be replaced anyway] are now full vista enhanced and should run AERO with NO problems. i was just curious between office 2003 and office 2007, there was an issue but MS released a patch for the 2003 machines that takes care of the incompatabilities [so they say, which is what i was trying to verify]. i guess i just need to load 2007 on another machine and try it here locally and find out for myself.

• Members

It's not the specific product I hate, it's the policy of releasing everything before it's ready for prime time. If it's a beta, call it a beta and don't make people pay for it. And don't make us beta testers without our permission. I don't doubt Vista will be great in a year, but meanwhile I'd rather keep using XP. I need to spend my time getting stuff done, not screwing around with the OS.

hey it COULD be worse, they could be like apple and release a buggy OSX that you had to pay for, then make some improvements and CHARGE you, then make improvements that actually mattered, and CHARGE you again.... has anyone EVER paid for a Windows update?

Archived