Windows Vista - what are tweaks for more efficient operation?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

hey it COULD be worse, they could be like apple and release a buggy OSX that you had to pay for, then make some improvements and CHARGE you, then make improvements that actually mattered, and CHARGE you again.... has anyone EVER paid for a Windows update?

Not true. Apple does provide free updates for OSX, same as Windows Update does. Their release model is different, but that's (pardon the pun) apples & oranges.

You might have to buy the next point release, sure - but 1) it's cheaper than buying a new version of Windows, and 2) when you DO buy it you get the full functionality available, not multiple versions with this or that intentionally crippled.

• Members

dude, you buy windows XP ONCE.... its been here for more than 5 years with updates free the whole time. OSX was broken on its first release and didnt work for {censored}, i had to BUY the next update to it, then again when they added AU support... and again and again so i quit updating now. OSX hasnt added anything but i{censored} to it since its release aside from the things they SHOULD have had in place in the first release but then charged for in subsequent releases. so it is true.

i wont even getting into their lack of legacy support.

• Members

I finally got VISTA 64-bit installed today after some considerable trial-and-error.

I'm anxious to see whether SONAR 6 will operate better.... and if "Bit Bridge" really does what it's supposed to do.

What I don't understand is why some programs work fine (default, as they are) under a 64-bit OS, but others require that you install only the 64-bit version? :confused:

• Members

I don't understand where there are two "Program Files" directories for the 64 bit version.

I set up a MacMini at my parents' house and put the family photos on it. Someone on eBay had a bunch of kids programs for Mac up for sale and I bought them. Of course non will work on the MacMini. They only run under OS 9 and OS 9 is not available for Intel Macs. :mad:

Luckily most of them were dual Mac/Windows programs so I sent them home with the kids so they can use them on their Windows machines.

• Members

dude, you buy windows XP ONCE.... its been here for more than 5 years with updates free the whole time. OSX was broken on its first release and didnt work for {censored}, i had to BUY the next update to it, then again when they added AU support... and again and again so i quit updating now. OSX hasnt added anything but i{censored} to it since its release aside from the things they SHOULD have had in place in the first release but then charged for in subsequent releases. so it is true.

Oh come on, now. OSX releases fixes to the system same as MS does. How many "new features" did they add to XP anyways? The vast majority of them are security fixes - and Apple Update provides those as well.

So OSX was "broken" in the 1st release. Yeah, they sold the point updates. Vista's kinda "broken" too (after 5+ years in development...). How much are they selling Vista for? "Ultimate" retails for $399! Aren't you basically pre-paying for future upgrades?

Yeah, yeah - it can be had cheaper. I'm talking off-the-shelf prices here. A 1-to-1 comparison isn't really appropriate, given the overall positions of the players. But - you buy OSX, you get all the features. You buy MS, you pay a premium for a full-featured version. So it's fair enough to compare these two, I think - although I will grant that most people will not pay the full price. However - many will. And anyway, the cheapest off-the-shelf upgrade to Vista Basic Home is still more than buying OSX.

You don't have to like the iStuff, but surely you can agree that it's a big value-add to ship along with new systems. Does MS ship any photo or music creation software with XP? No. You might get MS Works...which is useful if you never interact with any other software. But try to open a Word doc...

And - legacy support? They DID that for the transition from 9 to OSX for quite awhile. Sooner or later you have to stop. Ask MS about their support for 95/98/ME...or even 2000, despite many businesses still running happily on it.

I don't agree with everything Apple does either - I have my share of complaints about them too. However, they are also in quite a different position that MS, and I wouldn't expect Apple to be 1 for 1 with MS anyway. But damn, man - it's fallacious arguments like this that make you look like an MS fanboi.

/me is now done defending an OS I don't currently use...(yes, I did have a Mac.).

• Members

it a {censored}ing OS!!! that stands for OPERATING SYSTEM. not full of i{censored} system. Ultimate isnt the proper choice for MOST people. business is probably goign to be the best for most workstation uses. give you the Aero interface, the mega RAM capability, but doesnt give you media center which you do not need on a workstation.

but the problem with OSX is that it leaves older versions SOL when an application developer doesnt write code for it anymore.

so 5 versions of OSX at $130 a pop, thats a whopping $650 if you bought all hte upgrades.... and they STILL arent done.

Vista you will buy ONCE [for each machine]... and in fact now you have to actually install the extras into it instead of having to deinstall like in XP.

honestly i use BOTH platforms and have used them for DECADES.... i have put a halt to MAC upgrades until they get their {censored} straight with their intel move and all the developers catch up once again. then i will probably buy a workstation from them again, but it has been 3-4 years now of pure chaos from MAC and people are sitting there bitching about Vista? its a pretty impressive OS if you bother to try it out seriously, especially on a machien that scores higher than a 1.0 [even though my P4 is pretty decent with that score]

MS has a much longer legacy support, i have a client that still runs a 16bit application. im curiuos to see what is going to happen to it with Vista, but damn thats a long time. i actually loaded Windows 3.1 on a machine a few years back by accident putting in an old OS HDD into the machine.... it booted and WORKED with the new hardware. with MAC, i have literally had no choice but to upgrade the OS due to some application i wanted to upgrade... thast pretty pathetic.

• Members

Alpha

I really enjoy reading your rants! Though I worry you'll burst a blood vessel or something.... And, from the content, it sounds like you really do know what you're talking about most of the time, which (IMHO) lifts you well above and out of the 'valley of the trolls'.

And I agree with you about the barebones power edition versions of OS'es - - It surely wouldn't break my heart if they left out MS Works, Outlook and the other huge host of crappy disfunctional junk they toss in to fill up the CD.

It's good to have you here!

• Members

nah, this doesnt even raise my BPL in the least... when bill was {censored}ing up MS with 95/98 i railed against that. it wasnt until 2k came out did they get back on track.

like i said, i have used both platforms for as long as they have both been out and been using Apples before MAC existed.

yeah, MS works is the first thing to disappear, MSMGR, OE... etc, i go right through the remove windows components and can pull a lot out depending on the system setup immediately.

Apple really lost me on the OSX/ppc>intel/PCI>PCIe deal and left a very bad taste in my mouth, fortunately XP had matured enough to be a viable solution until they get their {censored} back together. all those happened right in succession though not in that order. once they get their {censored} figured out fully and transitioned over, i will buy another mac to run FCP/DVDSP/DP on... though im not sure if i will migrate off AE or not to MAC.

the one thing OSX finally did right however was make networking between mixed platforms much easier. that was the only thing that got me off OS9 sooner than i wanted, but i ran OS9 for quite a while until DP's feature set made me switch as well, and required me paying for upgrades to do so since the OSX i had bought didnt work with DP.

although Nuendo 4 pretty much answers all my complaints about v3 and i am realyl looking foward to use it and VST3 plugins. the new routing. oh man. DP still has some things stuck in their ass on but we shall see. and im actually starting to enjoy Premiere and not missing FCP so much. now if nuendo would only allow FW video output on the PC i would be in full business.

• Members
i wish both companies would put out a bare bones power edition honestly.

That sounds great!

I wonder how many users in general would notice or care. Most everyone here would. Well, they'd probably notice or care when the performance kicked up and didn't crash.... :D

• Members
One is for 32-bit apps and the other is for 64-bit.

Well Duh! :D

Why do they have to be in separate folder? All that does is confuse some of the older install programs, and cause some of those "This program may not have installed correctly" warnings. :p Not to mention my DAW's now have to scan for VSTi's in two different Program Files directories.

• Members

Alpha

I really enjoy reading your rants! Though I worry you'll burst a blood vessel or something.... And, from the content, it sounds like you really do know what you're talking about most of the time, which (IMHO) lifts you well above and out of the 'valley of the trolls'.

And I agree with you about the barebones power edition versions of OS'es - - It surely wouldn't break my heart if they left out MS Works, Outlook and the other huge host of crappy disfunctional junk they toss in to fill up the CD.

It's good to have you here!

He's been around for years! Back in the MP days.

Archived