What does plywood sound like?

elsupermanny14

• Members

I have a plywood strat-o-bastard, and suprisingly, it sounds like a stratocaster. Of course, i did do ALOT of modding to it, so much that basically, the plywood body is the onlything left of the original guitar. I'll hafta do a thrread over its evolution one of these days with pics and showinh the changes it went thru, from a $45 ebay special, to the #2 she has become.

• Members

My plywood, ultra-cheap Squier Bullet hardtail Strat is the best-sounding Strat I've owned, and that includes a 69 and an Ultra. It sounded good just with the Deaf-Eddie Fat-O-Caster and master-tone mod. Now it sounds even better with a VintageVibe low-output SSH setup. Deaf-Eddie customized a superswitch for me, and it has a tone on the neck and one on the bridge bucker. A local semipro just played it and thought it was fabulous, too. I'm sure plywood can be bad, but it sure doesn't have to be. As to what it "sounds like," what does anything sound like? I've heard really different results from all kinds of woods. As for this one, it nails most of the classic Strat tones I think of -- SRV, Jimi, EC/Derek, Knopfler -- plus some no normal Strat will give (due to the bucker and switching).

• Members

I have a plywood strat-o-bastard, and suprisingly, it sounds like a stratocaster. Of course, i did do ALOT of modding to it, so much that basically, the plywood body is the onlything left of the original guitar. I'll hafta do a thrread over its evolution one of these days with pics and showinh the changes it went thru, from a $45 ebay special, to the #2 she has become.

Please make a thread about it! But can you tell me more about your Strat build? Parts, upgrades, etc.?

• Members

One of my guitars has a Hondo plywood body. That plywood plank smears the pickup sound. The result is tone which has less clarity, less definition, and reduced sustain.

Lets say we take a few thin stripes of mahagony, maple and a few other quality woods and sandwich them together, would it affect the tone for the better?

Archived