who do you buy most from?

chrisebrooks06

• Members

Big purchases will be made at a GC when they can be, since I can haggle with those guys.

If not found at a GC, the item will be bought on Sweetwater or something.

Small stuff gets done at my local M&P since I usually only buy picks and strings anyway.

• Members

Last big purchase involved a 80 mile road trip to the nearest Sam Ash store. I was pretty happy with the experience. Been buying other stuff at the local mom and pops. I got wind of what the larger local one did and really don't want to deal with them. They got a fender license and there is a small hole in the wall shop that sold fender log before and for many years and they got his license taken away through some dirty dealing. Pissed me off when I heard that. Plus the larger store in question none of the guitars are in tune or intonated to try out a guitar you need at least an hour and bring your toolbox.
So the next one is either an pricey road trip or shop online which I think I will do since I know what I want.

• Members

Alot of what I get is local, as far as whole guitars go. If I just need parts, I'll go thru Guitarfetish or ebay. I have had several great deals buying guitars online though, mostly my tele copy i got from DCinDc and an Ibanez Rg350 I bought from a Kansas City guitar shop, via ebay.

• Members

I never buy new. Almost all of my current collection is used from eBay. Yeah, it sucks to not be able to play it first, and it may not be exactly what you were hoping for. In that case though, I just sell, mod it, or both, and try again. Some of the deals I find are just too good to pass up.

• Members

My buying has been split between my local dealer, Zone Music in Cotati Cal. and local private sellers.

I really like dealing with Zone because all of the employees are working musicians and the owner and I have gotten to know one another. I've purchased a couple of expensive guitars from him and he knows that I also buy all of my strings and stuff at his shop. Fact is, I paid full list (Ouch!) for my EJ but now I get everything at whatever things cost on the net.

The last time I was in, they had just recd a huge shipment of new Fenders and I was screwing around with the Strats. I had a fabulous playing usd EJ in my hands and turned to Frank and said "Man! This ones a killer!" He agreed but pointed to a Pink Paisley MIJ Strat hanging nearby and said, "Well, if you like that one, try this one!". The Pink Paisely turned out to be one of those rare, exceptional Strats that pop up once in a while. If it's still there when my next big check arrives, I'll probably buy it. :love:

Thats how I got my Epi EF-500. I simply mentioned that I was looking for a really nice 000 sized accoustic and Frank walked over to the wall and handed me the one out of the entire shipment played/sounded especially nice. Not only that but he gave me a discount that made the price $100 under the internet "On sale" cost.

Because of the attention, service and low prices that I receive at my local shop pro, I'll continue to be a loyal customer.

The rest of my guitars have come from CraigsList sellers and so I've gotton some great deals. Two Fender 51s for cheap and a mint MIM Strat for from a guy who said that he simply couldnt bond with it and had left it in the closet for two or three years.

I know that a lot of people who post here have done well with Ebay and 'Internet Buys' but I'm allways looking for the especially nice sounding instruments and for that you need an educated ear and you have to play the guitars in person.

PS: I do buy guitar parts and pedals on Ebay, plus I get hardware from Guitar fetish, ect.

• Members

do you use mostly the :

internet or your local shop

im just asking cos the majority of my guitars i have bought more have come from the internet than have from local shops these days, the problem in my case is that the manager at my local shop is a prat, and i used them for guitar purchases but they wouldnt stock what i needed and i bought an effects pedal from them which died a day after i bought it and they went out of their way not to help me so i gave up with them

sad but true, im not using the little shops as much as i should

Are we measuring by quantity or amount spent?

I've bought more stuff at mom and pops this year, but I have spent more at GC.

• Members

I shop at the best guitar store in the world- Action Music in Arlington, Virginia. They are about thirty minutes from my house and always have what I want or need. And sometimes I find things there that I did not realize I wanted or needed until I saw and played them. I have bought something every time I went there. And I have kept everything I have ever bought from them. Yesterday I got a 1964 Gretsch Double Anniversary and a sixties Gretsch tube amplifier. The previous time I got a 1974 Les Paul Deluxe.

• Members

5% local, 95% internet. I pretty much stopped buying from GC when they stopped haggling. Now I'll buy from sam ash since even though they don't haggle, they have a better amp and accessory selection. Most of the time I'll buy from the internet though. My last purchase was from theperfectguitar.com but I'll also buy from MF and M123 once in a while.

currenty

5 from Guitarfetish
9 from one local M&P (Barnstorm)
1 from one local M&P (Music House)
5 from Daddy's Junky (Northeastern guitar mega-store)
4 from Guitar Center
1 from Overstock.com
1 from Musicians Friend
1 from a forumite

Pretty well distributed between local M&Ps, mega stores and online resources I think.

• Members

In the following order... eBay, here, a not so local musicgoround & a local classifieds paper. I really should use craigslist & pawnshops more but don't. Have a not so local GC too, but hardly ever go i there. The few local shops around here that I've been to, haven't had anything worthy & are usually always way overpriced.

Archived