Any Other

blackscot

• Members

Lone Wolf here. My wife calls me a "Closet Guitarist", which I laugh. A guy in the circle of friends I hang out with plays drums in a band. I have actually never really talked to him about it. Maybe I should. I would not play in his band as the record and gig.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I play by myself because it relaxes me. I don't enjoy playing in front of people and I have jammed with some people, but it tends to just be very unproductive and we aren't on the same page at all.

I know that a lot of the problems stem from none of us ever seeming to have enough musical theory to even try to tell eachother what we are doing. I'm also a bit of a perfectionist and very pitch sensitive which is why the fact that I can record something with the BT's here and actually post them and not dwell on them is a huge step for me. About 90% of the time if I hit the record button it takes at least a minute for me to settle down and relax and if you ever listen to any of my stuff you can tell that I am thinking and not playing. If I am just jamming by myself I can relax, I play better and I enjoy it.

I just don't have a need to jam with another person in the flesh.

• Members

I had a friend who received financial backing from Stigwood some years past.

Great songwriter in the style of Buddy Holly although a little dated at that time.

We shopped our stuff around and then circumstances beyond his control resulted in his suicide.

That sort of killed the zeal for a pro career.

Since, I've only recently begun playing again after 12 years and a small period of time between his death and that long hiatus, but at the moment, not active bc I have other priorities.

Maybe I'll get together with someone, again, not too long from now.

• Members

My story is almost exactly like yours.

I barely played between 25 and 35, but I had been in a working band before that.

Just lately I've convinced myself that I have the musical and mechanical skill to be a half assed bass player. I bought some half way decent lightweight gear and I'm gonna try and get in a band.

Actually, I think I'll make a good bass player. We'll see. But at least I will be out, and playing!

• Members

I was in a couple bands in the late 70s with my best bud from high school. We actually moved from Michigan out to Cally-forn-yah with the band to try to "hit the big time". Of course we didn't & I got tired of all the practicing without any results, so I bowed out.

He & I still get together at his house (he is a Music Instructor & Head of Music Dept at a local college & he has a great set up at home) about once a month. I really find I am looking forward to each get together (we're on for next week) He is a certified monster player - his career is music education & playing out live in between , & I am always wondering where the next note I'm gonna play is coming from, but somehow our styles mesh very well. We always record it (along with an Adrenalinn drum machine) & I'm always astonished how much better it sounds then when we are actually playing. We basically just turn on tape & let it blast, totally whatever comes off the top of our head. We did a killer version of "Kick Out the Jams" once with a electro drum pattern :thu:

• Members

For the moment - yes. I fronted my own band for several years in my twenties and burned out. Quit playing for thirteen years and started again in 04. I'm good enough on bass, vox and drum programming to record my own songs, so my chops are still pretty tight and I wouldn't be a total waste playing with a real band. But I'm 47 and like a lot of you, family comes first, work second, and music third.

We just moved to SoCal and when we get a bit more settled I'll look around for a band. Time to get out of ProTools and make some real noise.:)

• Members

Another +1.

And then when I'm not actually playing, she has to listen to me talking about playing.
:blah:

Poor, patient lady......
:facepalm:

Same here...though she is also my biggest critic...she never patronizes me...and usually tells me that it sounds horrid :facepalm:

I constantly browse CL looking for someone in a similar situation who might be open to jamming. So far no luck. If I ever get enough free time I'd post one myself but right now I don't have that luxury.

In a way its too bad...I love music a lot and want to get better and playing with someone else is the best way. I am getting to know some of the musicans who hang out at the Studio I take lessons at so maybe one day I get on a stage but I ain't holding my breath

• Members

I play in a band, but what I enjoy most is to jam with my Loop Station. If you don't have one, you might want to think about it. These freakin' things will play the same thing over and over again and never get tired of your mistakes or experimenting with different tones!

239261.jpg

• Members

The hardest part about being in a band is other people! Ironically. The supreme shortage of drummers is another issue; they all want to play in jazz bands to test out all the new stuff they're learning. Mention blast beat and they laugh their arses off.

Pain really. I'd just love to know where all these sweet heavy as fook drummers hide!

• Members

Is "LoneWolf" the US equivalent of No Mates?
:)

Pretty much, but much more glamourous in a ride-off-alone-into-the-sunset Old Westy kind of way, with all those 'charismatic drifter with hidden depths nursing secrets too sorrowful to ever share' overtones, plus a side-order of self-pity.

'No mates' just suggests someone who is simply too boring and/or unpleasant to find anyone who wants to hang out with him/her.

• Moderators

Pretty much, but much more glamourous in a ride-off-alone-into-the-sunset Old Westy kind of way, with all those 'charismatic drifter with hidden depths nursing secrets too sorrowful to ever share' overtones, plus a side-order of self-pity.

'No mates' just suggests someone who is simply too boring and/or unpleasant to find anyone who wants to hang out with him/her.

I get it, no mates is the honest one then:thu:

• Members

I get it, no mates is the honest one then:thu:

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

• Moderators

I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. You see, my mule don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Strangely enough I just got back from Sardinia where they enjoy the meat of such creatures

• Members

Or too busy, which is what I tell myself.

• Members

Heh.

What a CLINT you turned out to be ...

• Members

just one reason why I prefer to play alone...There's this guy at my work who keeps asking me to "jam" with him all the time...he tells me he's been playing for 10 years and seems to know more than me about music theory. Keep in mind that I'm 35 and have been playing for only 2 years (mostly self-taught w/ books). So I finally make a trip down to where he lives and we sit down together and try to play some basic blues...at the end of 2 hours, I realize that he only knows about theory, but can't play one thing..I'm just still a beginner hobbyist, but I can say that I know a handful of songs...what an awful experience...I'd rather play solo at home...more productive that way...

Archived