Any Other

blackscot

• Members

I've done some things in the past, playing and singing.....in the way past, also during one of my way past aborted attempts at religion, ended up performing a few of my own songs there. Had a perod where I had a neighbor I could jam with for a while, although also a long time ago.
Now, I couldn't do the band thing because I have a real bad attitude against boozers - and where do most bands play, in places and at functions where there's booze. I had enough of religion when I finally realized the Romans were right, so I don't have that avenue any more. Since becoming friends with the owners of a local shop, I've gotten to meet people I could get together to jam with, but in my occupation, having to deal with the public every day, I don't want to be around people when I'm not working.
So, in the end it's just me and my guitars.
There are times when I think about how much fun it was jammming with the neighbor, or I'll be working on writing new songs and not having the opportunity to perform them for anyone, but those moments pass and for the most part, I'm happy just to have it as a relaxing hobby to take my mind off of other things.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

just one reason why I prefer to play alone...There's this guy at my work who keeps asking me to "jam" with him all the time...he tells me he's been playing for 10 years and seems to know more than me about music theory. Keep in mind that I'm 35 and have been playing for only 2 years (mostly self-taught w/ books). So I finally make a trip down to where he lives and we sit down together and try to play some basic blues...at the end of 2 hours, I realize that he only knows about theory, but can't play one thing..I'm just still a beginner hobbyist, but I can say that I know a handful of songs...what an awful experience...I'd rather play solo at home...more productive that way...

Sounds like you could each learn something from the other!

• Members

Another "lone wolf"....somewhat by choice. There are a few people where I work who play....but I've found that I can't deal with the personalities and power struggles of this dysfunctional bunch.

We've played together in various combinations at our office Christmas party the last couple of years. There is one guy who can't sing, but wants to be the lead singer, plus "be the boss". He can play guitar, but I have no idea how well, because he won't play, he just wants to sing.

There's another guy who has played guitar for over 30 years, and wants to be the lead guitarist. But he doesn't own an electric guitar, and almost never practices anymore. He has a bag of songs he knows, and doesn't want to learn anything new.

Last year for the office Christmas party, I ended up doing all the song arrangements because no one else wanted to, and every practice was a struggle to get the others to quit jamming long enough to practice the songs we'd all agreed to do.

Our lead guitarist said that he wanted to do lead on the song "Jingle Bell Rock", so I tabbed the lead part and handed it to him to practice. We got closer and closer to the day of the party and he would never do the lead part. I started practicing it "just in case", and got it down reasonably well.

Finally, two days before the party, I ask the guy if he's up for the lead yet. "Well, no, I haven't practiced." So I ask him if he can carry the rhythm chords so I can do it. "Well, no, I don't get how you play the rhythm part". So I have to carry the whole guitar part on the song, with no lead because he can't play EITHER PART (he just raked the strings to do rhythm, nothing else).

After the party (at which the lead singer was drunk as a skunk and did a booze-fueled rendition of "The Pusher" with the lead guitarist....this is an office Christmas party!!!), the rest of them decided to keep practicing together....and I decided that practicing by myself wasn't such a bad idea!!!! They just don't understand why!

Roger

• Members

Exactly the opposite, me. I come alive playing with and/or for other people, but find it really hard to get motivated to play on my own.

Same here. I've been in and out of bands for the past 25 years - it's in my blood. I do my share of playing alone, but it's always band related homework.

I can't get my "A game" going until I'm in front of a crowd or cooking in a jam.

• Members

The supreme shortage of drummers is another issue; they all want to play in jazz bands to test out all the new stuff they're learning. Mention blast beat and they laugh their arses off.

Pain really. I'd just love to know where all these sweet heavy as fook drummers hide!

wow come to Atlanta no shortage here! id say 9 out of 10 "musicians" here are drummers most disposable member of any band here with "singers" being a close 2nd

I don't Jam much anymore just no time! plus i generally don't get along with other musicians (too opinionated what it "should" sound like") i just use my drum machines and some recording programs and do things my way!

• Members

wow come to Atlanta no shortage here! id say 9 out of 10 "musicians" here are drummers most disposable member of any band here with "singers" being a close 2nd

I don't Jam much anymore just no time! plus i generally don't get along with other musicians (too opinionated what it "should" sound like") i just use my drum machines and some recording programs and do things my way!

AMAZING. Around Detroit, there's an overabundunce of guitar players.

I had a guy approach me at a music shop about a year ago asking if I played bass. Their band had way too many guitar players, and he was looking for a bass player so he didn't have to (and could go back to playing guitar!).

Roger

• Members

Wow!

Good drummers and singers are rare cats here in Jersey. Guitar players are a dime a dozen....................

• Members

I'm a Lone Wolf player, but I always have an audience of one...my wife.

Yep, same here. I haven't played in a band in about 10 years and at this point probably never will. I don't have any desire to though, especially with my career. I enjoy recording my own music, plus I have the occasional jam sessions with friends, so I do get to play with people regularly.

• Members

Suppose I"m one as well... In college and attempting to get into law school so guitar was placed on the back burner. I do however, pick up my SG or Martin to relieve stress or anything just to exercise my fingers; but it looks like I'll be playing alone (lol) for a bit until I can find some local students to jam out with as well. But I do try to haunt the forums some :snax::)

• Members

I guess most of us start out lone wolves, keeping our {censored}ty beginning chops hidden in the bedroom where they can't be heard. I did that for a year of so. I got together once with another beginner for a jam session, but it wasn't very productive. Ultimately, I found a drummer and guitarist who were willing to put up with my minimal chops and thats when I really started learning how to play. That was only 3 hours one night a week, but we kept at it and a year later I'm gigging. By the way, I'm 59 and the others in my current band range from 20 something to forty something. So the point is, being a lone wolf is ok, but if you really want to jam with others and develop your chops you will find the time and players to do it with.

Archived