Steely Dan = Greatest Band Ever

Boumtje-Boumtje

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

'Do it agian' still sounds as sparkling as it did in the 70's. So do the albums 'Pretzel Logic', 'Aja', 'Gaucho' and the recent albums (and the solo albums Fagen released)
They are geniuses (don't know the correct spelling) and after nearly 40 year they're still playing live and even getting better every concert. (I saw them 3 times here in Belgium).
Their music is timeless, but I can understand people that find them boring. Those who like simple rock, sometimes have problems whith the complicated structure of most of their songs. But in my opinion there's always that irresistable SD-beat, that makes it swing.
I was a huge fan of Led Zeppelin in the 70's. But I think most of their music now sounds 'aged'. I never had that feeling whith SD.

p.s. Walter Becker is a damn good guitar player en should get some more attention in this forum..

• Members

To me, the greatness of Steely Dan isn's as a "band." After all, they stopped being a band early in their career. What makes Steely Dan so cool is that their songwriting output represents some of the most interesting, sophisticated, intelligent, and witty music produced in the last thirty years. The lyrics are so idiosyncratic that I can't imagine them being recorded without that obsessive studio polishing that Becker and Fagen did so well. Outside of the great Elvis Costello, Becker and Fagen are probably my favorite songwriters since the Beatles.

I agree with what somebody above said about the groove...those songs always have a really good groove built into them to go along with the egghead jazz chords.

I have to agree. SD succeed with great lyrics where Rush tries to do the same and fails miserably.

• Members

Some call it "cheating", others call it "arranging". It's why George Martin gets credit on some Beatles songs.

He does? Find me ONE song in their entire catalogue credited to 'Lennon/McCartney/Martin.'

• Members

In terms of of jazz music, Steely Dan is cocktail jazz. Within rock 'n' roll, Steely Dan is soft rock. Mix in all the other influences, and their music delivers catchy pop hooks. Certainly, their lyrics can be wry and cerebral. But, I'm not seeing the leap to calling them the greatest song writers, or the greatest band. There are much greater poets in rock 'n' roll alone.

They are a great pop band at best. They are a watered down mix of genres at worst. They are a jack of all trades master of none. Some clever stuff, but hardly masterful when compared to legendary music throughout history.

• Members
They are a jack of all trades master of none.

My opinion is the exact opposite.

They are master of one trade...great rhythm section grooves with complex harmonies and terrific blowing, yet with unique lyrical content, sense of humor, and they still sold records and got airtime with every album of the '70s going platinum.

They never tried to be like anyone else, and no one else is like them. Yet, both rockers and jazzers consider them talented.

Hard to think of anyone else who fits all of those descriptions. Of course, that doesn't mean you'll like 'em. And they, of course, couldn't care less...;)

• Members

So no "Beatles" for you then, eh?

I was a Beatles fan (and a Steely Dan fan, and for that matter an XTC and Talking Heads fan), and I lost a lot of interest in all of them when they stopped playing shows - and I think their music suffered for it, I'm not a fan of the Baroque Sgt. Pepper style at all. Making a studio CD takes a lot of skill (and Steely Dan are superb at it), but it's not particularly a musical skill. more like building a ship in a bottle. I am not a great musician by any means, but I can play something that sounds good given fifty retries and a multitrack recorder. I have a lot more respect for those that actually go out and play music.

• Members

damn good for sure, best ever? if you like jazz and offbeat carefully crafted blends of whatever.....sure they are as good as it gets there.:love:

i liked them a lot better before aja, more raw, course they were always pretty polished.

• Members

terms like "best " don't fit with music.....

I will say that I saw SD live last year and it WAS a GREAT TIME......FANTASTIC live show from a band that never really did live shows back in the day from what I can recall....they were a pleasant surprise....

Everything was NOTE for NOTE perfect and they sound was topnotch.....

• Members

I saw them live last year in Melbourne, and they were absolutely amazing. donald fagen was on fire, and as well as singing really well, he was playing like a gun, and Walter Becker and the other guitarist (can't quite remember his name) were really, really good.

Jon Harrington.....kicks ass on all them solos...

• Members

Larry Carlton

Lee Ritenour

Elliot Randall

Jeff Baxter

Denny Dias

Rick Derringer

Mark Knopler

Phil Woods

Richard Tee

Steve Gadd

and many more.

At one point, Berklee had a class on their music.

Very sophisticated, highly evolved music, maybe too much for this room.

this

• Members

I didn't read the whole thing, but Katy Lied was one of my favorite albums from the 70's.

Still, their music lacked passion. It was too polite and unoffensive. Guys with "Bolder Boulder" T-shirts, cargo shorts and Teva sandals like Steeley Dan. They usually drive Subarus or Previasa, and they recently added The Fray to their iPods.

Archived