Vista question for you gurus.

daklander

• Members

We could tell you but... well.. then we'd have to... you know... [draws finger menacingly across throat]

(Actually, I'm in the have-to-pry-XP-out-of-my-cold-dead-fingers camp. I'm sure the Vista guys will struggle in here in a while... you know... after the page finally renders and they get rid of all the ghost windows. :D )

• Members

(Actually, I'm in the have-to-pry-XP-out-of-my-cold-dead-fingers camp. I'm sure the Vista guys will struggle in here in a
while...
you know... after the page finally renders and they get rid of all the ghost windows.
:D
)

Actually, I am, for everything except music work, a Linux (PCLOS) user and use Win2K for the music related stuff though have Wifey's computer dual booting with Linux and XP. I don't mind XP but.....

Anyway, the reason for the question is, I acquired a PC with Vista installed on it and thought I'd give it a run through to see what the fuss is all about but it's password protected so I need to change that. Once I see what it's all about I'll swap the hard drives from my current box into that one, format and install either XP or Win2K and give it to my step-son. He needs a Windows OS so he can work with his mp3 player. I haven't been able to get it updating with Linux yet.

• Members

if you lost the administrator login, you need to run a third party password login recovery software, for example "Login Recovery" - I never did it myself, therefor I have no idea if it really works:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2006/10/29/reveal-and-recover-windows-nt-2000-xp-2003-and-longhorn-login-including-administrator-username-and-password-with-login-recovery/

• Members

Most times, if a local user has been set, you can boot to safe mode, put in the 'administrator' user with no password, and you are good to go. Most people don't set an administrator user password while setting up their own account.

If not that, then give this a whirl..

• Members

Anyway, the reason for the question is, I acquired a PC with Vista installed on it and thought I'd give it a run through to see what the fuss is all about but it's password protected so I need to change that..

wondering how you "aquired" the machine and not have the password ;)

try http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940765/en-us

also try logging in as 'Administrator' w/o password hoping it wasnt set initially.

• Members

Most times, if a local user has been set, you can boot to safe mode, put in the 'administrator' user with no password, and you are good to go. Most people don't set an administrator user password while setting up their own account.

If not that, then give
a whirl..

Thank you sir, that ISO worked.

I've spent some time today screwing around with it, in the garage. I'm not impressed. Yeah, there's a bit of eye candy but I don't think that it's all that. Many Linux OSs have as much or more.

The PC is not much, an Athlon XP2600 with 1 Gig ram.

The boot time was horrendous and the operating speed was certainly nothing to sneeze at. Every Linux distro I tried was noticeably faster running as live CD and faster booting as well off the CD. Think how much quicker would they be installed. On top of that, with Vista I could not get internet access via the wireless card that was installed though EVERY Linux distro had no problems. Vista kept telling me there was problem on the other end. That didn't stop the installed Virus protection or the Vista updates to download and install so it was more than likely an issue with IE but I didn't have the time or where with all to screw with it further.

For my normal use Linux is much better and I much prefer XP or Win2K as a Windows OS.

Needless to say, that OS is going away and the HD will likely be used as a storage device.

• Members

you dont have enough of a machine to run vista realistically. i booted up a 386 a while back on 3.1 and was amazed how {censored}ing FAST it was at booting/using the OS... still didnt make for a useful machine.

i dont know of ANY software i use for production available for Linux so it isnt even a remote option. only thing i use Linux for is on web servers...

• Members

I uncrated my old G4 667MHz Mac running Mac OS9 to open some old Studio Vision songs the other day, and I was amazed at how FAST it all worked. Very little bloat.

I may keep it up just for the heck of it. It still has a working Paris system on it, too. I still miss Studio Vision, but all the good bits have been lifted by other sequencers, and I couldn't really go back.

You can't go home, but you can visit occasionally...

• Members

I uncrated my old G4 667MHz Mac running Mac OS9 to open some old Studio Vision songs the other day, and I was amazed at how FAST it all worked. Very little bloat.

I may keep it up just for the heck of it. It still has a working Paris system on it, too. I still miss Studio Vision, but all the good bits have been lifted by other sequencers, and I couldn't really go back.

You can't go home, but you can visit occasionally...

If you really wanted to, you could upgrade the CPU to a 1.5MHz for probably only a couple of hundred bucks.

Archived