Anybody saving their pennies for the new Alex Lifeson signature guitar?

Jbird

• Members

While it is a beautiful guitar, I have come to the realization that having that guitar is never going to make me a better player or even a what I would consider a good player. So why not spend the money on a vacation somewhere and keep playing the three guitars that I have. Maybe I am getting old. No question it is a really sweet looking guitar. Other thing I am beginning to realize is that there are certain guitars that I just look stupid holding. This is not one of those styles, but there are many that do. I just don't have the cool killer guitarist look, and when I pick up something wicked looking, it just makes me look stupid. That must confirm that I am getting old.

• Members

If they come out with an Epi equivalent under $1000 I'm all over it, but with $3700 I could get a great amp, some recording gear, maybe some pedals, etc and be much better off. My Sheraton plays and sounds quite good already, and I'd rather indulge my Lifeson idolization with a Triamp than a Gibson.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

L&M in Winnipeg has had one on the shelf for months now. I luv Rush and have been playing their tunes since '79 but I gotta tell you after playing that axe in the store, that it's totally overpriced for the quality and versatility of it. I'll look for one on eBay in a few years but I guess its collectability will keep the price high.

• Members

He already had one signature model guitar, back in the 80's, made by "Signature" guitars in Canada. The company is now defunct, and I would imagine the guitars probably go for more now than they did when they were new. I know they used the Evans active pickups in it, and it had sort-of a Jackson body and headstock shape. I haven't seen one for sale for many years.

alex02.jpg

:idk:

• Members

He already had one signature model guitar, back in the 80's, made by "Signature" guitars in Canada. The company is now defunct, and I would imagine the guitars probably go for more now than they did when they were new. I know they used the Evans active pickups in it, and it had sort-of a Jackson body and headstock shape. I haven't seen one for sale for many years.

alex02.jpg

:idk:

I had two of them in the 80s (like 85/86). Paid about $600 for each if I recall correctly. One had humbuckers and the other single coils. They were made ok, but the necks made them hard to play. All I can say about them is that they weren't anything special. I sold them without any hard feelings shortly afterward.

• Members

check this thread..
seems they have some issues.

the volute is particularly concerning as it would most likely be a constant on all the guitars.

I'm not a Gibson basher by any stretch but this seems reallt bad to me.

That's interesting! I was seriously considering getting that Lifeson axe (since I've been dreaming about having one since the Farewell to Kings tour) however it just doesn't feel right. My good friend told me that he breathed a sigh of relief when I decided not to get it. I was so into it that he didn't want to put me off but he felt that it sucked as well. I would get it if I was a wealthy Rush fan and put it in a glass case!

I didn't know about that site either... thanks

• Members

I've seen Alex play live many, many times, and I don't recall ever once seeing him playing a semi-hollow.

Congrats on him scoring a sweet endorsement deal with Gibson, but I can't imagine ever being slightly tempted to buy that guitar, even if I was filthy rich and could afford it.

• Members

:confused:
He played semis live all the time back around 2112 , Farewell to Kings,Hemispheres

I wasn't even 10 years old at the time.

Since my teen years, and therefore every time I've seen him play, he's been on solid-body guitars almost exclusively, except the occasional brief acoustic intro.

• Members

A decent ES 335 can be found for around $2k if you look around, Even cheaper used.

Why would anyone want a signature when there are decent models for less.

I guess his model is an ES 345 or 355 with the vari-tone. Some people hate them and remove them. (Why not just buy an ES 335?)

I find the one on my Lucille interesting. It gets a lot of different tones.

But when I want more 'chunk' I play my ES 335.

The entire ES line of Gibson guitars are pretty good IMO, with out looking for a sig model.

• Members

L&M in Winnipeg has had one on the shelf for months now. I luv Rush and have been playing their tunes since '79 but I gotta tell you after playing that axe in the store, that it's totally overpriced for the quality and versatility of it. I'll look for one on eBay in a few years but I guess its collectability will keep the price high.

Love that avatar! I once saw an old Trans AM with that cover art airbrushed on the hood.

Archived