your favorite RHYTHM guitarists.......

Bobby D

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm talking players whose RHYTHM playing inspires me. Whether they are, or are not, the only guitar player in their band, or whether they also solo, ain't the point. All the players I cited bring the funk, deliver the groove and know EXACTLY how to chop it out.

Which is the point of this thread.

well in that case the title of the tread should be great guitar players. When you say rhythm players ,,, to me it means chord type support for the rhythm section where another instrument does the lead. You know your typical two guitar band. one plays the solos ,, the other plays chords. Good rhythm guitar players can play well with another guitar ,, good power trio guys many times cant fit in very well with another rhythm guitar or keyboard. They just suck u too much space in the groove. Its a pet peeve of mine. These guys are great guitar players , but are a pain in the butt many times to a rhythm guitar or keyboard.

• Members

well in that case the title of the tread should be great guitar players. When you say rhythm players ,,, to me it means chord type support for the rhythm section where another instrument does the lead. You know your typical two guitar band. one plays the solos ,, the other plays chords. Good rhythm guitar players can play well with another guitar ,, good power trio guys many times cant fit in very well with another rhythm guitar or keyboard. They just suck u too much space in the groove. Its a pet peeve of mine. These guys are great guitar players , but are a pain in the butt many times to a rhythm guitar or keyboard.

100% correct ^^^^

It's an art to be able to play minimal rhythm guitar so as to interlock with the rest of the band.

it's one of the reasons I get paid to play guitar. It's not my flashy lead skills or dynamite good looks, that's for sure!

• Members

100% correct ^^^^

It's an art to be able to play minimal rhythm guitar so as to interlock with the rest of the band.

it's one of the reasons I get paid to play guitar. It's not my flashy lead skills or dynamite good looks, that's for sure!

You know, it took me a couple of years off guitar as a bass player to see that you're right. My old band was just two guitars fighting each other for attention!

• Members

EVH.

His Rhythms are pure Genius on the early Works especially.

He don't give up on him that early.

Listen to some of the rhythm work on OU812. It's incredible, much better than the solo work.

My list

KEEF!!!

Rich Robinson

Steve Cropper

James Burton

EVH

Prince

Keef and Rich would be my favorites tho.

• Members

One of my faves that comes to mind is Tom Johnston of the Doobie Brothers. Long Train Running is one of my favorite rhythm guitar songs of all time. I actually ran into him around town recently and he stopped to chat for a few minutes.

I also agree with others here who mentioned Andy Summers and Bob Weir.

Archived