your favorite RHYTHM guitarists.......

Bobby D

• Members

Everybody talks about lead guitarists, solos, shredding, etc.

How about rhythm?

As a professional, you will more than likely be playing RHYTHM about 95% of the time. Unless you are Buckethead:cop:

For me, my absolute favorite and big influence on my playing has been:

ANDY SUMMERS

I favor the "less is more" approach, with some nice chorus and delay.

I absolutely adore Andy's sound, and the way he inverts chords, uses lots of ambiguous voicings tonally, and keeps it "open" sounding.

And then there's always Malcolm Young.

So how about you?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just a few to be going on with (some of whom are also renowned lead guitarists, but purely in terms of their riddims):

Pete Townshend

Keef!

Wilko Johnson

Steve Cropper

Jimmy Nolen

Catfish Collins

Jimi Hendrix

Bo Diddley

Johnny Ramone

Elvis Presley (you LISTENED to the acoustic guitar on them ol' Sun records?)

John Lee Hooker

SRV

Chuck Berry

Steve Jones

Mick Ronson

Leo Nocentelli

Bob Marley

• Members

CSM brought up quite possibly one of the ultimates:

Leo Nocentelli.

he is THE MAN.

Having cut my teeth as a teenager gigging in New Orleans, you can be assured that I watched The Meters very closely.

And ANYONE who wants to inject some real funk rhythms into their playing could do a lot worse than to pick up "Best of The Meters" and start woodshedding some of those funky parts.

He's kind of a weird dude to be around, and has that attitude that everybody owes him something -- I think he feels underappreciated and that everybody stole his licks...and he's partly right.

Damn, he is the essence of FUNKY.

• Members

-Malcolm Young, of course.

-James Hetfield

-SRV

-The guys from Thrice

-The guys from Lamb of God

-Matthias Jabs and Rudolph Schenker (if you don't know anything other than Rock You Like a Hurricane you're missing out.)

-Randy Rhoads - who else could play killer metal rhythm guitar with every triad inversion known to man?

Hell, I could go on forever on this one...

• Members

My all-time fave...Rich Robinson. tight, tight, rhythm player, but can also hold his own on the lead/solo side of the fence too.

Keef and Ronnie Wood

and finally...one of the most overlooked guitarists out there...Izzy Stradlin.

• Members

I really dont think dumping power trio guys into the rhythm guitar player catagory ,, is right. They are not rhythm players they are lead players.

I'm talking players whose RHYTHM playing inspires me. Whether they are, or are not, the only guitar player in their band, or whether they also solo, ain't the point. All the players I cited bring the funk, deliver the groove and know EXACTLY how to chop it out.

Which is the point of this thread.

Archived