The best vintage sounding guitar strings

Kitarist

• Members

well some strings i tried really sounded weak thin and were shrill sounding.

Of course the most important is the amp then the guitar and pickups and blababla.... but just try a few set of different strings and you will see how it changes the tone a lot

I really like the ernie ball and GHS strings they sound great :D :D

• Members

The Gibson reissue vintage nickel things sound real good for a few minutes.

The DR Tite fit sound REALLY smooth and last much longer too. You can actually feel and hear the difference. I havent tried their Pure Blues yet, but if they're anything like the Tite Fit, i'm sure they're excellent too.

Read up on those, how they're made etc. and try some, you probably wont go back to anything else.

• Members

tony iommi and BB king played .08s, plain G.

Tone, yet again; fingers.

I don't know about the fingers in this case...perhaps the melted bottle caps and leather. :lol: But yeah, a lot of the guys with monstrous tone used thinner strings and it didn't effec their careers adversely.

From personal experience I prefer good old EB slinkys, but I wouldn't call them super vintage or anything; just good strings. d'Addario's are brighter sounding to me but don't last very long.

That's about as much as I can offer here, but I do have a friend that used the pure nickel EB's and absolutely loved them. I played them on his guitars and they do sound great, but than again his gear is really nice so that has something to do with it. He did say that they didn't last very long though. They are supposed to be made to sound like the old vintage shit though so who knows.

• Members

I have a set of Snake Oil Brand Vintage Nickel strings on a P90 guitar & they sound pretty damned good. Very mellow.

+1. I've been using SOB's for a while and they really work well. My wife hates the shrill transients she gets with new strings on her bass; she dropped in a set of Snake Oils and she was really happy with the sound.

My big issue with DR's is that the windings will occasionally come loose from the core, due to their core design. I chatted with my guitar tech, and he's found similar problems as well.

• Members

+1. I've been using SOB's for a while and they really work well. My wife hates the shrill transients she gets with new strings on her bass; she dropped in a set of Snake Oils and she was really happy with the sound.

My big issue with DR's is that the windings will occasionally come loose from the core, due to their core design. I chatted with my guitar tech, and he's found similar problems as well.

I haven't had this happen yet. How long do you go between string changes?

• Members

I have had this happen and I think i know how you can prevent it. The instructions that come with the strings say to wind the strings slowly and also to bend the string at a 45 degree angle under where you are going to cut it. I have found if you do this you will not have that problem.

Archived