The best vintage sounding guitar strings

Kitarist

• Members

i think strings make a huge difference if your looking for that authentic vintage tone...I usually perform a retro set of classic songs from the 50's up to the 70s and to get that authentic retro tone I will change the entire set of strings on my guitar for each song with an appropriate set of strings for that song.. I 'll change through about 10 packs of stings a gig while the audience waits in between songs......theres just no such thing as going to far when it comes to getting that original "tone"........

oh and yes I also toss grand ma's screen door in the back of the gig van just in case someone in the audience requests a chet tune..... im still not sure what to do if someone requests an old delta blues tune that was played by tying a string to the front porch and using a slide,,, :idea: maybe i'll just have to toss grand ma's front porch in the van and bring it along too..;)

hmmm...anyone know where i can get some authenic 1940's toothbrushes so i can bend me up some chet thumb picks...:lol:

lol...sorry i couldnt resist being a sarcastic twit.....im just having fun with the whole "quest for the secret hidden treasure of the tone cult" lol... :D:lol:

(eat your heart out Rob Reiner re-spinal tap he he :lol: )

OK SERIOUSLY NOW... back on topic..

there might be something to this, if you look at ernie ball's site he is selling a set of nickel plated strings but he is also selling a set of PURE NICKEL strings...so is this reflective of what strings were originally made from ???

and who knows maybe there is a tonal difference...that is very noticeable.??

anyone tried both sets ? any comments on tone notices????

ernie ball nickel plated link

ernie ball pure nickel link

:)

Archived