Best Opening Riff of All Time...

steve_man

• Members

You're right, that always has been a cool opening riff.

Charles, you're also right about The Clash's "Clash City Rockers". I've thought it was cool since I first heard it in High School back in 1979

[YOUTUBE]Sa2VtNRtu04[/YOUTUBE]

Dont forget the slamming intro to AC/DC's "Sin City"

[YOUTUBE]iWn9QqMcb2I[/YOUTUBE]

"Blackened" by Metallica is always brutal

[YOUTUBE]DU_ggFovJNo[/YOUTUBE]

There is also the hip coolness of The Smithereens "Blood and Roses"

[YOUTUBE]ybqf9Ck9_lg[/YOUTUBE]

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Probably not in the best of all time category, since clearly Crazy Train gets that, but I love the intro to Detroit Rock City.

Yeah Detroit is cool, Crazy Train has to be in the top 10, but I think Sweet Child O' Mine has to be the best opening riff and welcome to the jungle

• Members

Do Beatles songs really have"riff"s? I mean, yeah, recognizable openings, but not riffs. "If I fell in love with you" almost made the list.

Oh, and crazy train isn't really all that recognizable to the average joe or jill.

But the average joe doesn't really listen to rock these days, its all just crap, if you don't know crazy train, you have to check it out, sounds brilliant!

• Members

[YOUTUBE]CUDWLp1yIWw[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]6KtF7ql3FJc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]ggLbeVlvpKw[/YOUTUBE]

and others that i find cool

[YOUTUBE]Tja6_h4lT6A[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]DbT3-_-QypE[/YOUTUBE]

(last one .. the intro solo it's like :cop:)

[YOUTUBE]y1llKWeNUcQ[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

No, Lamb of God doesn't have anything even remotely close to the best opening riff of all time. Come back in a year when you've grown up a little bit. I saw those guys a year or so ago, after like 20 minutes, I thought they just kept playing the same song over and over, was like being tortured for an hour. And I do like heavy music.

Smoke on the Water and Highway to Hell popped into my head first. I like them both a lot but I don't know about the "best" which is just way to subjective of a way to describe something. To me best would be probably something from Sabbath like Electric Funeral or Sabbath Bloody Sabbath or Dragonaut from Sleep. I also really like Dunwich from Electric Wizard, you check this out, just too cool:

[YOUTUBE]RdW8lt6u4RY[/YOUTUBE]

• Members
No, Lamb of God doesn't have anything even remotely close to the best opening riff of all time. Come back in a year when you've grown up a little bit. I saw those guys a year or so ago, after like 20 minutes, I thought they just kept playing the same song over and over, was like being tortured for an hour. And I do like heavy music.

yeah..i know.. never said they have the best opening of all time, just that i like them. About the growing up.. i think listening to heavy music is the thing i have to grow out of.. (i like tube amps, don't like the idea of a huge effect chain, and i don't think shredding is good playing and i'm 17 :blah:)(and i'm also very modest as you can see :p)

• Members
yeah..i know.. never said they have the best opening of all time, just that i like them. About the growing up.. i think listening to heavy music is the thing i have to grow out of.. (i like tube amps, don't like the idea of a huge effect chain, and i don't think shredding is good playing and i'm 17
:blah:
)(and i'm also very modest as you can see
:p
)

Yeah, sorry my comments came out harder than I meant them to -- typically LOG is enjoyed by younger folks who tend to outgrow that style of music. I know when I was younger I liked stuff that I thought was the tits but looking back on it, really wasn't that great. You never know, LOG may go done as one of the greats in metal.

• Members

Here's the first 5 that came into my head:

Layla (Surprised more people aren't mentioning this)

Seven Nation Army (The White Stripes. Might not like them, but that is a VERY iconic riff, especially for my crowd (I'm only 19))

Baba O'Riley (Synth riff FTW!)

Sunshine of Your Love (I know people who don't even know who Eric Clapton is that know that riff)

My Generation (Pete banging out those power chords is pretty memorable)

• Members

even those who don't like 80's rock have to admit that those opening chops for RATT's Lay it Down is absolutely what rock n roll is all about. A man hasn't fully embraced who he is until he's witnessed 5 lovely ladies jello wrestle to that jam.

If I had to explain what rock n roll is to an intelligent being from another world, I would use 5 examples.

Cheap Trick - Surrender

AC/DC - Back in Black

Van Halen - Panama

Ratt - Lay it Down

Ozzy - Bark at the Moon

Archived