Best Opening Riff of All Time...

steve_man

• Members

In my mind Hendrix was the Master of Complicated ...well Semi Complicated opening riffs. That often immediatly set the emotional stage and automatically showwed his Mastery of the fretboad.

Little Wing...........Jimi

Voodoo Chile............Jimi

Red House...............Jimi

The Wind Crys Mary..........Jimi

But with the 50's Rock and Roll and the Classic Rock of the 60's the catchy 5-8 note opening riffs were mainstay of that music. The open Riff continued throughout the song on Bass and the Guitars would weave in and out of it. And drift off into different leads that would often wind returning to the opening Riff?

Thats what Classical Rock is, and how I think of it when I write it!!! Those simple Riffs were all there were at the Garage Band level. The music developed and became more complicated as the 60 wore on. The 3-minute cuts became history bacically when the 45's did?

Sunshine of your Love...........Cream/EC

Smoke on the Water..............Deep-Purple/Richie Blackmore

And so, so many more that have been mentioned to the Britsh Invation with the Beatles and Stones, Animals, .......WE Gotta get outte Here. Tired of Waiting, All Day and ALL of the Night........KINKS were Masters at these type of RIFFS and HITS.

And on in to the 70's with Zepplin and the 80's with AC/DC etc etc.

To me that "IS" Rock and Roll.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Charles is Right also............The Blues, Hey you heard what MUDDY said. The BLUES had a BABY, and they called that BABY..ROCK + ROLL!

But John Lee Hooker and all though the Blues you see this happening with a slightly different twist to it.

You see it weave through Boogies, Swing, 12-Bar Blues like Sonny Boys HELP-ME.

But thats it man..........thats the START of a GREAT SONG IMHO. Wanna wright a HIT? Start there!

• Members

And, of course, the king of intros, CHUCK BERRY -- Johnny B Goode, Roll Over Beethoven and all his eight million other variations thereof. Like T-Bone Walker and BB King before him, Chuck always gave his songs intros which were instantly recognisable as him -- when they popped out of a radio or jukebox, they said, 'Heads up, folks --here's Chuck's new one!'

This was a lesson well learned by the British Invasion/R&B groups mentioned above (Beatles, Stones, Kinks, Who etc etc), all of whom used archetypal intros to stamp their thumbprint on every song within the first few seconds.

• Members

JAM BANDS with an almost CULT following like CCR back n the day. Or better yet Gratefull Dead with Shakedown Street and so many other hits. Or Quicksilver M.S. all had their cuts that revolved around a RIFF.

Gratefull Dead to THIS DAY [RAT-DOG] will go so far off, that "IF" your stoned ..........you'll forget what their playing or think they started another song?..........only to return to the Original Riff ?

• Members

Okay, without mentioning any songs by name, some of you folks are offering up stuff that's just inane. Gawd. Here's the best opening riff of all time. You can even alternate pick it if you want, instead of using the lame slow sweep approach.

Archived