Anyone like rap?

Boumtje-Boumtje

• Members

I like music played by musicians using instruments rather than samples and ripped of tracks. Maybe it makes more since in the USA, but isn't so much of it just so fake? It might have been a means of expression for disposessed youth when it started but it's just a profitable musical trend for record companies now, with buffed and toned pretty boys acting tough.

YES.

YES.

and YES.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Call me old fashioned, but I like music played by musicians using instuments rather than samples and ripped of tracks. Maybe it makes more sence in the USA, but isn't so much of it just so fake? It might have been a means of expression for disposessed youth when it started but it's just a profitable musical trend for record companies now, with buffed and toned pretty boys acting tough.

making this sort of stuff requires more skill and knowledge than just being able to play a single instrument well.

all recorded music is fake, regardless of whether someone at some point actually played an instrument.

but 'rap' is just a vocal style that is used a wide range of genres, not necessarily massively commercial. tbh living in the UK, london-based grime is far more interesting than the bloated, dull, pretentious hip hop from the states.

• Members

Hay guyz, have yoo herd of this awesome nu song.. its called Soulja Boy Tell Em, and it even has a badazz dance.

Seriously.. Rap used to be nice.. for about 3 years..

I think the vocals and rhythm sound great, but after you've made a few of them, they all sound exactly the same. Anymore, it's not worth listening to, just read the lyrics.

That's just how I see it. Now, you can get some more hybrid stuff out of hip-hop and rap with other instrumentals and it sounds neat, but sadly, very few people seem to take that original route.

I also just really hate the crowd. A good portion of it nowadays is just 'gangsta' which is another word for kids trying to act tough, be materialistic, and shallow, none of which are traits in a person I can respect at all.

• Members

really only the older stuff.. Public Enemy, Beastie Boys (who do actually play instruments), Run DMC, Eric B and Rakim (sp?), the Jungle brothers..

Theres loads of stuff out there thats good and for people who downplay the 'lack of instuments', watch some of the top guys like Mix Master Mike, Terminator X (well, back in the day anyway, dunno about new guys)etc use turntables, they play those things like instruments, its not just putting on small riffs and mixing stuff.

• Members

It's great - the good stuff is.

If you're judging it by what's on the radio and in the clubs, you're an idiot. It's the rap equivalent of Nickelback. If I listened to modern rock on the radio I'd hate rock too.

If you actually LISTEN and dig deeper there is some great stuff out there - guys who sample REAL MUSIC, with a definite skill for stitching together a beat out of funky, jazzy samples. If you like music that grooves like funk, there is rap out there for you. Guys who don't pose (People Under The Stairs often rip on those kind of rappers) and are in it for the music.

Real drums. Cool bells/xylophone whatever line. Real bass (even a bass solo at the end). Great groove.

[YOUTUBE]4VFBJwqCUck[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

i think when rap first began and beat matching/mc's/and turntablists were very revolutionary in taking another leap in the musical realm as far as beat matching/sampling and then adding to song on top of all that with mc'ing (rap)

if you think turntablism isn't playing instruments you need to listen to mixmaster mike, kid koala, and dj shadow

i'm a huge beastie boys fan.

q-tip and mos def i think are also quite good and experimental in actual rapping.

i should add i hate all other rap - gangsta, money-makin.

new york rap just feels right i guess because of the entire culture of it and because of its roots there.

• Members

What chord progessions and key signitures do I need to learn to do rap music on the guitar? What type of guitar would work best? What amps? What effects? I just couldn't just hook my guitar up to a heil talk box and rap away could I? I think that I will just stay with rock and blues and jazz for now.

• Members

I do. These are some of my favorites

Cadence Weapon (going to see him on Thursday night)
[YOUTUBE]rfhxyaRMEfE[/YOUTUBE]

Grand Analog
[YOUTUBE]MrZu8EXLZNA[/YOUTUBE]

Jurassic 5
[YOUTUBE]PI4iDM09oRE[/YOUTUBE]

Dizzee Rascal
[YOUTUBE]kZGvnI37mxk[/YOUTUBE]

Lady Soverign
[YOUTUBE]I3ILUic7aN0[/YOUTUBE]

Animate Objects
[YOUTUBE]_o7eiBlxR7M[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Like with any genre, the mainstream stuff is pretty weak, but rap can be pretty awesome if you know where to look.

I just recently picked up a vinyl copy of Enter the Wu-Tang: 36 Chambers. I love it. So much fun to listen to.

• Members

Nope.

I did back in the late 80's/early 90's, back when it was a lot more innocent fun.

As far as modern rap, if they can play an instrument and/or their band does, I respect it, but I still don't want to hear it. Most modern rap just doesn't relate to my culture, and it is too boring and computerized musically.

Archived