brazilian fretboard better, or hype?

zosoKing5

• Members

As most gibson fanatics know, Gibson stopped using brazilian for the fretboards in 03, and the price has been jumping on the R8's year after year. Im really happy with the way my ebony fretboard plays, but i have to know, can any of you actually feel a difference in the brazil fretboards? There are so many factors that could make it feel different- the fretwire, actual neck, neck finish, neck width, the strings...

I know about the historical implications, just that brazilian fretboards were used on original 58 and 59 les pauls, which would mean there will never be an exact reissue of a 58 again. But as far as sound and feel is concerned, if you think there is a notable difference throw it up here, id like to know why.

• Members

I found this online:

Fretboard materials also exert an influence on overall tone, although they probably act more as icing on the cake than as a layer of the cake itself. Brazilian rosewood fretboards and their denser rainforrest counterparts add sparkle and ring, and Indian rosewood fretboards can help fatten up the midrange. Wenge, a dense, dark-colored African hardwood unrelated to the rosewoods, has tonal properties remarkably similar to those of Brazilian rosewood.

here:

http://www.pantheonguitars.com/tonewoods.htm

I only have one guitar (it's an acoustic) with a Brazilian board and it's pretty mellow, but it's almost 40 years old.

I think that it's probably 80% hype and 20% fact, or maybe 90/10.

• Members

They all have different densitites, so presumably wood would have some effect on tone. That said, the fingerboard is what, maybe 1/10 of the mass of the guitar? I have really come to appreciate Pau Ferro as a fingerboard wood (smooth, brighter than rosewood, darker than ebony) but according to warmoth, it is brighter than braz rw

• Members

Ive got a bunch of BR guitars. Its hype.

It only looks good when its brand new, not to mention most newer pieces you see with it are crap cuts of wood.

What do you think is going to change your tone more?

What kind of fretboard you use, or what kind of guitar speakers you use?

Now guess which one is cheaper?

• Members

Same question as for necks & body woods and the same answer. Every bit of wood is different. The influence of a fretboard at playing volume would be hardly noticable at best. having said that I have 6 pieces of fretboard sized Brazilian Rosewood thats been racked in my shop for 20 years, any offers...

• Members

I think fretboard material has an effect on tone. That's why I like guitars that have dot inlays with no neck binding. :cop:More wood is better right!
:)

Does one kind/pc of rosewood have a dif' tone compared top another kind/pc of rosewood...I imagine it does.

I like dot inlays and no neck binding too.

• Members

I think fretboard type has an affect on the guitars sound, but once amp'd up I think it's largely irrelevant.

Good marketing by some companies though has given it some kind of mythical status which, as always, people get sucked into. I'd rather save the money on the fretboard material and see it spent elsewhere on the guitar.

• Members

I have a few 60's guitars with Brazilian boards.

Of course, I have no idea how it effects the sound, as they've always had them and so I have no basis for comparison.

However, I also have (or had) some guitars with African and Indian rosewood boards. There is a difference in look and feel.

The old Brazilian is almost closer to the look and feel of today's ebony than the other rosewoods. It's dense, dark and smooth with tight grain.

One of mine, my `61 Gretsch Corvette, often fools other guitarists who think it is ebony.

• Members

They all have different densitites, so presumably wood would have some effect on tone. That said, the fingerboard is what, maybe 1/10 of the mass of the guitar? I have really come to appreciate Pau Ferro as a fingerboard wood (smooth, brighter than rosewood, darker than ebony) but according to warmoth, it is brighter than braz rw

I LOVE pau ferro. Maybe my favorite fretboard material, at least for any guitars that would tend to be on the bright side naturally. I really ages well too.

• Members

It's largely but not entirely hype (specifically with fretboards) ... it's extremely difficult if not impossible to tell the difference between Brazilian and Indian rosewood on an acoustic guitar's back and sides much less a fretboard. Plus, BRW is unstable and prone to cracking. It's beautiful wood, though.

My favorite fretboard is on my Gibson WM-00 acoustic ... I think it's made of Morado.

• Members

I know about the historical implications, just that brazilian fretboards were used on original 58 and 59 les pauls, which would mean there will never be an exact reissue of a 58 again. But as far as sound and feel is concerned, if you think there is a notable difference throw it up here, id like to know why.

I'm sure that the fret board wood adds it's part to the sound of the guitar - most particularly with acoustic guitars. Plug your electric into the amp and all bets are off on just how the board wood impacts the tone - the signal chain and amp will be the determining factors.

I can see dissecting the woods as far as feel among the different woods go, but I doubt any of us can feel the difference between Brazilian rosewood or any other well finished rosewood.

To get into which species of rosewood fret boards sound better on an electric guitar is just cork sniffing.

I'm sure that there are some that will profess to being able to tell the difference between BR or any other rosewood with a blindfold on plugged into a dimed out Mesa Triple................

Archived