brazilian fretboard better, or hype?

zosoKing5

• Members

I've never played a guitar with one. Since it is not the same, I would have to assume it influences the sound to an extent, although likely a tiny one. Every little component of a guitar contributes to the sound. But it's pretty hard to compare, to do so you'd need to somehow take the fretboard off the neck and put a new one one :freak:

I do have to say a lot of the guitars I've seen with Brazilians do have a lot of figure to them, but I doubt it's worth the price from a player's standpoint. I don't think you hear too many people complaining about the {censored}ty Indian boards on their guitars. If only my Heritage had BRW, then it would really sound good! ;)

• Members

The good old growth stuff has been used up, unless you can find some NOS that someone squirrelled away. Like most things guitar it's mostly an issue of looks and marketing. There may be some people with sensitive enough hearing to tell the difference between BRW and IRW or Ebony, but I'm willing bet 99% of us would not be able to pass the Pepsi Challenge with sound clips. Hell, half of the people on this forum can't tell a PAF from Boutique or a tube amp from a PODxt in a blind clip test. Those differences are probably more audible then the difference in fretboart materials. Just another assholes opinion, so take it with a grain of salt! :)

• Members

Its HYPE. Paul of PRS fame did an article about them last year. You can't hear any difference between the Indian Rosewood or the Brazilian.

Gee the guys around the different boards all day everyday. I'd be inclined to believe him.

I couldn't tell the difference on my Jackson which had a brazilian board. I think it had a very pretty almost Orange looking Lines through it. But that was it IMO.

Archived