Get in here people....This is not a drill!

PhilBilly

• Members
Wait... a G-400?

Fixing the hole you punched in the bedroom door might actually cost more than the used value of your guitar. Sounds like the acorn didn't fall far from the tree when it comes to destructive misbehavior.

:poke:

Leave him alone.. Everyone here has had a moment of stupidity over something like this.. If you haven't, you will eventually. :rolleyes:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Had my daughter break the headstock off my Nighthawk Custom a day after I got it.(After a 6mth wait) I have since broken it twice at the same spot myself.Ce est la vie

Ya I'm sure it's only the first of a hundred things that are important to me that my kids will break. I should probably just accept it.

• Members

Wait... a G-400?

Fixing the hole you punched in the bedroom door might actually cost more than the used value of your guitar. Sounds like the acorn didn't fall far from the tree when it comes to destructive misbehavior.

:poke:

It's been established that that was a bad idea, Lets move on shall we.

• Members

well since he took it out and broke it and didn't just happen to knock it off a stand, I would certainly have a stern talk about staying out of dad's things. I believe in spanking, but not well after the fact like this and certainly not out of anger. I think he probably feels pretty bad already.

If you can afford it, have a competent tech fix it. I have a guy in my area that is really good and really reasonable. but you're a ways away in ohio. Best of luck. I'm sure it will be fine in the end.

• Members

blow out the crack with some canned or compressed air to clean it out, overfill the crack with 3 dollar wood glue, clamp, wipe the excess glue that oozes out off with a damp rag, leave it alone for a day, then clean it up and you are good as new, don't be nervous about doing it yourself :thu:

• Members

After I settled down and he got the courage to apoligize he was bawling. I told him that while I was angry that I loved him more than any guitar and that I forgave him. I told him that just because I was mad that didn't mean that I didn't love him.

It's easy to get mad. Plenty of guys would have flown off the handle. It takes a good dad to calm down and realize why you're mad and that your son didn't mean any harm.

You're a good dad, you acted naturally, but most importantly, you pulled back like a good dad would. Congrats.

• Members

It's easy to get mad. Plenty of guys would have flown off the handle. It takes a good dad to calm down and realize why you're mad and that your son didn't mean any harm.

You're a good dad, you acted naturally, but most importantly, you pulled back like a good dad would. Congrats.

Thanks...I needed that.

• Members

gorilla brand glue I've heard works well.

NO!

gorilla glue expands. Its an awful wood glue

Go get tight bond wood glue and a 'c' clamp.

Put a generous amount of the glue on both surfaces, and clamp it really tight. Make sure to put wood block on both ends of the clamp so the metal clamp isnt digging into your guitar, be sure to use wax paper to separate the wood blocks from the guitar, so that they dont get glued down, AND make sure its set in there right.

And be sure to wipe off the excess glue.

If what i said made it sound daunting well sorry, but it really is a super easy fix

• Members

NO!

gorilla glue expands. Its an awful wood glue

Go get tight bond wood glue and a 'c' clamp.

Put a generous amount of the glue on both surfaces, and clamp it really tight. Make sure to put wood block on both ends of the clamp so the metal clamp isnt digging into your guitar, be sure to use wax paper to separate the wood blocks from the guitar, so that they dont get glued down, AND make sure its set in there right.

And be sure to wipe off the excess glue.

If what i said made it sound daunting well sorry, but it really is a super easy fix

That makes sense. I wondered about gorilla glue. I used it on my end table and it worked but it grew out of the cracks. Not a big deal it's inside the drawer.

• Members
That makes sense. I wondered about gorilla glue. I used it on my end table and it worked but it grew out of the cracks. Not a big deal it's inside the drawer.

yeah, stay away from that for guitars.

Wood glue will be fine, i fixed this break with it, and yours is alot cleaner.

acoustic_7_by_ejendres.jpg

the rubber band is all thats holding it together in that pic

• Members
In it's case (which he's not supposed to open)

In the closet (which he's not supposed to open)

In my bedroom (which he's not supposed to open)

Ahhh HELL NO. I very, very rarely have to spank my son and I never do it in anger, but if he doesn't listen to me or directly disobeys me or the wife he's getting a spanking. It ain't even about the guitar; its about disobeying me.

Sounds like the little guy understands why he isn't supposed to and he's probably really sincere about his apology. My kid knows that before the spanking comes the really (and I mean REALLY) long drawn out explanation of what he did and why it was wrong. I think that the talk is worse than getting spanked. :lol:

• Members

I said why did you touch it when you know you weren't supposed to. He just kinda looked at me. I said you wanted to be like Dad didn't you. He just nodded.

Aw, man. That's too cool for words. Priceless.

Good for you for not taking your frustration out on your son. Better the door than him. Like Mike Fiasco said, you're a good dad.

• Members

Due to the fact that it fills gaps better and is more resistant to heat under stress, I'd recommend epoxy. It's not a joint you would ever want to disassemble later...which is about ther only reason you's use a glue like hide glue or aliphatice resin which are less strong and affected by heat and humidity.

• Members

i've heard just the opposite. something about gorilla glue expanding and forcing the joint apart as it dries.

Gorilla Glue can be quite messy to use. It's a polyurethane glue that expands and foams up.

For this job, I think something like Titebond Wood Glue would work better. Not nearly as messy, and creates a very strong bond.

Here's a link if you want to read up:

http://www.titebond.com/WNTitebondIIITB.asp

Archived