Get in here people....This is not a drill!

PhilBilly

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Relax, dude. Son > guitar. And it's fixable.

After I settled down and he got the courage to apoligize he was bawling. I told him that while I was angry that I loved him more than any guitar and that I forgave him. I told him that just because I was mad that didn't mean that I didn't love him.

• Members

Hanging on.

OK if you can hinge it back down to where it sits flush and see no gap just glue and clamp per my earlier post. if the two pieces do not match up you are gonna have to seperate them to clean out the torn fibers and splinters. this may seem daunting at first but it must be done to achieve a clean joint. ANY GAP WILL CAUSE A GLUE JOINT TO FAIL!

• Members

Dude, i hope you don't maul your son just for a guitar. what kinda guitar?

No I wouldn't hurt him. I don't believe in spanking.

Epiphone SG G-400. It's a cheap guitar. But it means a lot to me. We are poor people and my wife worked really hard to scrape to money to get it for my birthday 3 months ago. It meant a lot to me that she did that.

• Members

OK if you can hinge it back down to where it sits flush and see no gap just glue and clamp per my earlier post. if the two pieces do not match up you are gonna have to seperate them to clean out the torn fibers and splinters. this may seem daunting at first but it must be done to achieve a clean joint. ANY GAP WILL CAUSE A GLUE JOINT TO FAIL!

Gorilla glue is great for this because you dampen the wood prior to applying the glue, and the slight swelling helps eliminate gaps. It oozes like a mofo, though, so let it DRY before carefully excising it with a blade of some sort.

• Members

Did he take the guitar out of the case you no doubt keep it in and do that?

Or did he accidentally knock it off a stand in an easily accessible place for him?

Guitars are worth money, children are priceless

Took it out of the case. And was screwing around with it. It slipped off his shoulder and waapaa it broke. He knows he's not allowed to touch it when I'm not around.

"Guitars are worth money, children are priceless" Truth

• Members

OK Thank you.

• Members

Gorilla glue is great for this because you dampen the wood prior to applying the glue, and the slight swelling helps eliminate gaps. It oozes like a mofo, though, so let it DRY before carefully excising it with a blade of some sort.

OK thank you.

• Members

After I settled down and he got the courage to apoligize he was bawling. I told him that while I was angry that I loved him more than any guitar and that I forgave him. I told him that just because I was mad that didn't mean that I didn't love him.

Very good dad.

You did the right thing there.

Now if that was my kid:cop:

Just kidding

• Members

OK Thank you.

you're welcome. good luck.

i gotta hit the rack (3 am wakeup call) but plz feel free to pm me if you need more help/moral support. i grew up in my father's wood shop and have one of my own so i do have experience in these matters.

later...

• Members

In it's case (which he's not supposed to open)

In the closet (which he's not supposed to open)

In my bedroom (which he's not supposed to open)

The forbidden fruit always tastes the sweetest...

Sorry it happened, but don't be too rough on junior. Accidents happen.

and yeah, it does look like an easy fix.. Couple clamps, some glue, razor blade to scrape, and some clear coat in a can..

Archived