Thinking about selling my 69' sg special....

spoonie g

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A P90 that sounds thin?

Hmm....thought of replacement pickups?

And it's a VERY beautiful guitar.

its very thick compared to the sg classic ri i used to have, but come on, im comparing a p-90 to a humbucker- its going to sound thinner. and theres no way in hell id take those pickups out. they blow away the ri's pickups by a long shot.

• Members

its very thick compared to the sg classic ri i used to have, but come on, im comparing a p-90 to a humbucker- its going to sound thinner. and theres no way in hell id take those pickups out. they blow away the ri's pickups by a long shot.

When you say "thin", do you really mean "bright"? Change the settings on your amp, add a clean boost or a little overdrive, do something different. They don't respond exactly as humbuckers and you shouldn't expect it.

I agree with the others, if you sell it you will probably regret it. I know I would.

D

• Members

When you say "thin", do you really mean "bright"? Change the settings on your amp, add a clean boost or a little overdrive, do
something
different. They don't respond exactly as humbuckers and you shouldn't expect it.

I agree with the others, if you sell it you will probably regret it. I know I would.

D

Well, if I'm compensating with a boost or overdrive, then obviously it is thinner. P-90's are great pickups, but come on, they arent as thick sounding as humbuckers. Are we in bizarro-world here or something?

• Members

Well, if I'm compensating with a boost or overdrive, then obviously it is thinner. P-90's are great pickups, but come on, they arent as thick sounding as humbuckers. Are we in bizarro-world here or something?

You sound like you've already made your decision, so what are you asking?

D

• Members

Not trying to push my pedals or anything but give a boost like my LWB a try with it (same as that Z guys SHO). Its kinda hard to describe the magic they add. If you run it at unity gain its the effect you don't notice till you click it off.

• Members

Not trying to push my pedals or anything but give a boost like my LWB a try with it (same as that Z guys SHO). Its kinda hard to describe the magic they add. If you run it at unity gain its the effect you don't notice till you click it off.

Thanks, but I didnt really like the presence the sho added. Im already running a pretty bright rig as is is.

• Members

That's a 69? I'm not an expert at gibsons but I thought the specials had wrap around tail pieces? Oh wait I see the wrap around bridge....but what's that added tail piece? I've never seen one like that....looks like it has a trem or something? Has it been modded? It is gorgeous by the way.

The reissue you played...was that the custom shop reissue SG special with the wrap around tail piece? Or the cheaper USA factory specials that come with humbuckers?

Damn...out bid...

I called up gibson before I bought it and they confirmed the serial indicated it is a 69'.

These look the same:

http://www.thewho.org/sg.htm

I have the bar as well, but it didnt make it in that photo.

I owned a reissue w/ p-90's that Gibson made the past 5 years (but apparentally dont anymore). It wasnt a custom shop and quite a few people on this board have them, i believe. A lot of them were web-only I believe.

• Members

I called up gibson before I bought it and they confirmed the serial indicated it is a 69'.

These look the same:

I have the bar as well, but it didnt make it in that photo.

I owned a reissue w/ p-90's that Gibson made the past 5 years (but apparentally dont anymore). It wasnt a custom shop and quite a few people on this board have them, i believe. A lot of them were web-only I believe.

Man, that guitar is awesome and I hope you don't regret selling it. I just bought a similar one yesterday.

• Members

That would be the SG Classic I believe. And they are still being made for GC/MF and its tributaries only.

I would NOT sell that special - that is a lifer, even if its only used to record.

• Members

That would be the SG Classic I believe. And they are still being made for GC/MF and its tributaries only.

I would NOT sell that special - that is a lifer, even if its only used to record.

Yeah thats what it was, the classic. It wishes it sounded like this one. The thing is though, it sounds very different through all of my amps. It sounds kind of "plinky" and unrefined through my ac-30, very screamy and kind of like loose old ac-dc through my jcm 800 and for some reason, you arent going to believe this but sounds really really damned good through my crate gx-15?

• Members

The Seymour Duncan SFX-01 Pickup Booster pedal has a "Resonance switch that thickens single-coil signals, supercharging them with the sound of vintage pickups and high-output humbuckers". It drops the resonant peak of your pickups.

Please do not sell that guitar...unless you sell it to me...but now I do not have money, so please do not sell it.

• Members

The custom shop makes or made up until recently..not sure which...a proper reissue of the special. I think they are much thinner than a regular SG which probably has something to do with how they sound....along with the P90's of course. Looks pretty nice and probably sounds very similar but I still would prefer an original.

yep they still do make it.

http://www.gibsoncustom.com/flash/products/designer/SGSpecial/SGSpecial.html

Archived