Amps that Strats Love

Deeprig9

• Members

Hi. For you strat players, what amps do strats love? Right now I play through a jc120 and it's a one-trick pony. I would like to upgrade to something. I just really don't have the time to spend at music stores trying them out, plus I feel awkward playing licks in music stores and trying to decide if I like the amp or not. Plus, I'm sort of a recognizable person and I feel uncomfortable amp shopping and having people point and whisper and what not. I was thinking about the Mark III or IV, finding a Hiwatt, or something like that. Something under $1500 hopefully. The Lonestars have a good pitch on the mesa site, but I've read the explosion stories as well.

What do you play through and takes your strat to another level?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Because of the other host of issues that come with owning a Mesa like one of those. Also, can't think of any people that play strats through them off the top of my head. Trey dumped his for the deluxe reverb. He can play through any amp he wants. There must be a reason he dumped them after ten years. Maybe got tired of the maintenance?

• Members

Great list but don't forget the Bassman.

I have used the Bassman setting on a Pod for some good sounds when recording, but based on the pod, the Bassman would get me back into the 1-trick pony thing again. But yes, that is a great sound.

• Members

Deluxe is also on my list, thanks to Dr. Anastasio, forgot to mention that. I've played through a Princeton Chorus quite a bit, is that comparable to what the Reverb feels like? Thanks!

If I am thinking of the right amp, the Princeton Chorus is very different. Fender tends to recycle many of their names for various amps. The Princeton Reverb is a 1x10 6V6-powered tube amp, but way back I had a "Princeton 65" which was an inexpensive 65W 2-channel solid state 1x12". I believe the Princeton Chorus is a solid state amp as well. Which doesn't mean it's necessarily a bad amp as I do think Fender makes some of the better sounding clean SS amps out there, but not very similar to the Princeton Reverb. And of course there's also the Princeton Recording amp to further confuse things :facepalm:

• Members

Because of the other host of issues that come with owning a Mesa like one of those. Also, can't think of any people that play strats through them off the top of my head. Trey dumped his for the deluxe reverb. He can play through any amp he wants. There must be a reason he dumped them after ten years. Maybe got tired of the maintenance?

True. I'd be skeptical about owning a 20 year old amp as well no matter how reliable its said to be.

But yeah, strats and fender amps are like blonde hair and big tits.

• Members

My '05 Am Dlx Strat w/Fralin Vintage Hots and SP43 bridge pups, loves my 60 watt, '94 Fender Blues Deville 410. Also, I recently got a Valvetech Amplifier Company Hayseed 15 head which is a hand wired clone of a 60's Vox AC 15...Through a Celestion Alnico Blue 112, the Dlx Strat loves this amp head and speaker!

• Members

Man, the amp that loves everything:

http://superseventeen.com/home.html

They bring out the best there is in everything! Maybe a few more coins than your original goal, but completely astounding amps. 17 watts gets pretty loud. They also make 33 watters and a 50 watt model, but I'm tellin' ya, 17 watts is a really good place to be.

IMG_0547.jpg

Me frickin around in front of one of mine. I also have a 1x12" combo. Both 17 watts. Both all I need.

• Members

Blackface Fenders - Twin Reverb, Super Reverb, Deluxe Reverb, Princeton Reverb depending on volume needs.

I'd concur with that, but you can also go Tweed Fender, like the Bassman, for a bit more Marshall-esqe tone added in.

But I've also got a JC120. I think they tend to get over rated, like you're saying, "a one-trick pony", but what I've done which definitely improved mine is top plop a Vox ToneLab on top of it. It doesn't get it all the way there, but it certainly has added a lot of good tones to the JC.

The amp I have that I like the best for strats is my '65 Twin Reissue. Even with the ToneLab, the JC120 doesn't get that close to the deep note thunk that the '65 Twin creates. I also have a DRRI, but it also doesn't have the same thunk to the notes that the 2x12 '65 produces.

• Members

After Run through a series of try's

--> A TUBE AMP

--> In my case(I cannot play so loud) a 74 Vibro Champ

-->One day a Vintage Twin Reverb or a Mesa mark IV

When I shifted from Line 6 Spider jam ,which is a fairly good Amp to the Vibro Champ--> all vintage apart a 78 year transformator and a new Jensen Alnico Speaker(The original dint survive the shipping)--> a new world opened.Since then I bought some pedals(need the reverb) but play the Champ 95 %.Its simply sounding so great with the Highway one(and so unforgiving.you are not perfect on the fretboard Line 6 will work arround it-->the Vibro-->youll hear it instantly)

Roland

• Members

IMO, the Fender Twin Reverb is THE amp to play a strat through, if you want fender cleans. I almost bought one not to long ago, and it sounded like pure fender magic. If I played in a blues band, I would have a Twin Reverb.

However, I play in a mostly rock, hard rock band and fender cleans are not on the agenda. That said, I uses strats and my hot rod deluxe (modded a bit) on the drive channel and it sounds huge. FWIW, I never use the "more drive" channel, which if ass had an actual sound, it would be the "more drive" channel of the hrdx. I use a tube screamer and a rat, as well as my tonelab. The hrdx, imo, is an awesome working musicians amp - and strats love it.

Archived