Amps that Strats Love

Deeprig9

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've found great sounds in the Dr Z line of amps.

They're boutique, but reasonably priced for that genre of amps.

I had a Carmen Ghia that loved pedals... and had a very beautiful base clean sound. My attitude is... if the amp has a core clean that's great... I can add pedals to taste to get the rest of my sounds.

That being said, I far prefer natural tube amp overdrive to any pedal. So smaller amps that drive easily are great in a on-stage mic'd environment.

M

• Members
Man, the amp that loves everything:

http://superseventeen.com/home.html

They bring out the best there is in everything! Maybe a few more coins than your original goal, but completely astounding amps. 17 watts gets pretty loud. They also make 33 watters and a 50 watt model, but I'm tellin' ya, 17 watts is a really good place to be.

IMG_0547.jpg

Me frickin around in front of one of mine. I also have a 1x12" combo. Both 17 watts. Both all I need.

I wanted to mention Goodsell, but didn't. I'm glad someone did. There was one on ebay with a BIN of $950 - with the live.com discount that would have been around $620.

• Members

Hi. For you strat players, what amps do strats love? Right now I play through a jc120 and it's a one-trick pony. I would like to upgrade to something. I just really don't have the time to spend at music stores trying them out, plus I feel awkward playing licks in music stores and trying to decide if I like the amp or not. Plus, I'm sort of a recognizable person and I feel uncomfortable amp shopping and having people point and whisper and what not. I was thinking about the Mark III or IV, finding a Hiwatt, or something like that. Something under $1500 hopefully. The Lonestars have a good pitch on the mesa site, but I've read the explosion stories as well.

What do you play through and takes your strat to another level?

I think MarkIII or IV would be good. I have a studio 22 with some mods that make it something like a mark jr or a 22 on steroids and my strat sounds great through it. Much better than through my valveking:facepalm:

Archived