NGD!!! Xaviere XV-500 tobacco sunburst

Fagmotron 3000

• Members

I got mine on Tuesday, XV-500, Honey Burst. Looks great but I can't play it til Christmas cause my boy is a getting his first guitar as well and he'll put 2 and 2 together. Anyway I noticed the action was quite high. I was going to crank down the truss rod, but mine did not come with the wrench in the shipment. I am assuming it is an allen wrench, anyone know what size? The saddle seems like it has lot of room to lower as well- which would be an easier adjustment- just a couple turns of 2 screws. Anyone know if these are shipped with the truss rod loosened, hence I would have to tighten anyway? If they are shipped tight can I just crank down the saddle to get the desired action?

• Members

I got mine on Tuesday, XV-500, Honey Burst. Looks great but I can't play it til Christmas cause my boy is a getting his first guitar as well and he'll put 2 and 2 together. Anyway I noticed the action was quite high. I was going to crank down the truss rod, but mine did not come with the wrench in the shipment. I am assuming it is an allen wrench, anyone know what size? The saddle seems like it has lot of room to lower as well- which would be an easier adjustment- just a couple turns of 2 screws. Anyone know if these are shipped with the truss rod loosened, hence I would have to tighten anyway? If they are shipped tight can I just crank down the saddle to get the desired action?

Always set your truss rod first- Gotta get correct relief- then set your action. Both wrenches should be in the packaging.

Jay

• Members

With a little adjustment here and there and you will have one KILLER electric that wll "HANG" with MOST production line elctrics out here.

If you don't believe it and are affraid to take the plunge? Play someone else's. Really, you will cpme to believe for sure.

Not much I need, but if Jay did a 339 size Semi or Hollow I'd take TWO.

• Members

Always set your truss rod first- Gotta get correct relief- then set your action. Both wrenches should be in the packaging.

Jay

Tried to PM you but your mail was full....

Thanks for the tip on the truss rod. There was an amp cord in a plastic bag inside the compartment of the hard case, but I did not see any wrenches. I'll have a closer look tonight when I get home. In the event that I can't find them, do you know the sizes I would need and I'll just go buy them?

More to the point on the truss rod adjustment. I know it is important not to overtighten them. Hence to give me some idea as to how much I will be adjusting, do you ship them fully loosened, so as not to put too much stress on the neck during shipment? Or are they somewhat tight and should only need a quarter turn or so. The strings current reside I'm guessing an 1/16" to 3/16" or so above the frets.

I know I could take this down to the local shop and get this done, but it's a more convenient for me to do something this simple myself. Re-doing the intonation should not be that big a deal for me either.

• Members

I got the truss rod, action, and intonation all set up on it yesterday and put a couple hours on it. Man, what a great player.

My parents and in laws came over today for my college graduation, and my father in law couldn't put the XV500 down for an hour. He mostly plays his Martin acoustics, and he loved rocking out the classic rock tunes on this thing!!

• Members

Well they are made in China, GFS uses their own pickups, and there is no bigtime middle man like MF or GC to put a huge markup on them, but besides that I have no clue how they make them so inexpensive either. I'm just glad they do!
:thu:

Its no mystery .A Chinese worker gets a very low wage .The whole guitar costs very little .Its low price is not a reflection of quality but a very low cost base .

Most of this type of guitar would improve no end with some Gotoh type fittings.The actual wood work is often very good but let down by cheap fittings IMHO .

Archived