Peavey T-60's heavy? Maybe not!

Brian Krashpad

• Members

Someone on another board asked me how heavy my new (to me) Peavey Fury bass was, and it occurred to me that I had a shipping scale at work that would weigh pretty accurately.

Now, my bass IS heavy-- right at 10 pounds! (That's a full pound more than my Fender Jazz.)

But my T-60 is NOT heavy. Under 8 1/4 pounds! So much for the "T-60's are too heavy" canard.

Admittedly, my T-60 is a painted one, and so probably poplar instead of heavy Northern Ash like on the naturals. But if anyone wants a T-60 and is concerned about the weight, they can just buy one of the solid-color poplar ones.

Now you know.

• Members

I have an old "Patents Applied For" version. It is massive! It could very well be the heaviest guitar I have ever seen. I don't have a scale that would weigh with good accuracy in the 11-15 lb range or I'd give you a number.

Back in the late 70's common "wisdom" was that heavier guitars sustained better, so back then the weight of this thing was something to be proud of. It is a good guitar and very under appreciated. Then again, I don't gig with it. For some reason it is just not much fun to play compared to my other guitars. I think that it is a combination of that big slab of a body and the weight does get to ya after a bit.

• Members

I have an old "Patents Applied For" version. It is massive! It could very well be the heaviest guitar I have ever seen. I don't have a scale that would weigh with good accuracy in the 11-15 lb range or I'd give you a number.

Back in the late 70's common "wisdom" was that heavier guitars sustained better, so back then the weight of this thing was something to be proud of. It is a good guitar and very under appreciated. Then again, I don't gig with it. For some reason it is just not much fun to play compared to my other guitars. I think that it is a combination of that big slab of a body and the weight does get to ya after a bit.

Mine is a PAF headstock with toasters (rather than rails) also.

The natiurals ARE heavy, because they're Northern Ash. But Peavey made the solid color ones from poplar. They're not so bad.

• Members

One of my worst guitar regrets is not buying a T60 that was at a small shop a couple years ago. I didn't have any money on me so I went home to get some. Got back and they had sold it. $125 with an aftermarket Duncan pickup in the bridge and the stock pickup in the original case.

He would have held it for me if I would have just asked him to.

:facepalm:

That one was pretty heavy though. I'd guess 10 lbs. Nine minimum.

• Members

I had a black t40 that weighed a ton.

A friend had a black t60 that was every bit as heavy as a previous sunburst one.

I would expect pretty much all of the T-40's to be heavy, they're just a big instrument.

From all the people with heavy solid-color T-60's it would appear that the solids were done in both poplar and Northern Ash, depending on what was available. Although I guess it's also possible for up to a couple pounds variation in between two poplar ones.

• Members

I'd love to pick up a painted T-60.....
:love:

*sigh*

I got mine 3 or 4 years ago w/ohsc for $200. It was New Year's Eve day and everything in the pawnshop was marked down by a third (was tagged at 3 Benjies).

I didn't even dicker.

I first got interested in T-60's because an acquaintance of mine, on the local (Gainesville Florida) nascent (c. 1980) punk rock scene, had a white one. His name is George Tabb and he was in a band called Roach Motel. In punk circles they're somewhat well known, not only because the Roaches were one of the first successful Florida punk rock bands (they also had a fanzine called Destroy, iirc, and a small DIY label), but also because George went on to write a longtime column in national zine "Maximum RockNRoll," and subsequentlywrote a couple autobiographical books. He still plays T-60's.

I believe there is or was a bluesman called Johnny Copeland who plays/played a white T-60 also.

• Members

Woah.....that's nice.....

I find the black and the sunburst the most attractive!
:love:

Yeah, I also like the red and white.

The black one matches well with that ol' Fury bass I just picked up, they look like siblings, which they are I suppose. I almost bought a natural T-60 about 5 years ago, but it had some minor issues, I dallied, and it was sold from under me. All's well that ends well, though.

• Members

I had a really nice '83 burst T-60 which I was very much digging for a while. Joined the T60 forum and everything. Loved the pickups and it was indeed a brick sh**house of a guitar.

While the weight never bothered me, I found my hand would cramp up too easily on its very skinny neck. Poor technique on my part I know, but that neck just seemed to keep that guitar in its case vs. my other guitars.

Bought it for $220 w/ OHSC, sold it for $375.

If you dig skinny necks though, T-60s are incredible guitars and values.

• Members

My natural T-60 is definitely the heaviest guitar in my little collection. I always end up sitting down to play it. Gigging with it would be tiring, I would think. Mine stays home.

My favorite line about T-60s, I think from an HC review - "If you were playing it in a bar, and the bar caught fire, you could use it to smash a hole in the wall and escape". :)

Steve

Archived