Favorite jazz guitarists?

ehlpitel

• Members

Been into jazz for about 5 or 6 years now and was wondering who everyone's favorite guitarists were...

For me, I'd say it's a tie b/w Wes Montgomery and Django Reinhardt.

There are a lot of other gypsy jazz guys that I love, but those two must take the cake.

Kenny Burrell is definitely up there as well.

Here's a vid of some dude that blows my mind every time I watch/listen to this vid... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u4zxGlEDc8

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

John ScofieldI know he's a good deal more modern than the guys you mention, but he seem to be able to do it all, from fairly straight jazz through jam band/funk to fusion.

of the classic players, I probably listen to Burrell the most, there's something about that blues feel he's got no matter what he plays that I just find very appealing

• Members

Scofield is definitely good, surprisingly I only have a couple of tracks by him.

Some of Burrell's tracks or so {censored}ing sick though, his version of All Blues is out of this world, as well as his rendition of Caravan.

• Members

I love Wes Montgomery. I've listened to his Smokin' at the Half Note recording with the Wynton Kelly trio countless times. I have a multi-CD collection of Django, too. All good.

Lately, I've been searching out music from Anthony Wilson who plays with Diana Krall's group.

• Members

For me Wes Montgomery, Jim Hall, Joe Pass, Bireli Lagrene, some things from George Benson, John McLaughlin, and if you call him a jazz guitarist Roy Buchanan

Oh and Django and Joscho Stephan if gypsy jazz counts, which I guess it does

• Members

I hae a VHS cassette of Chet Atkins, Lenny Breau and George Benson all playing together. I really should transfer it it DVD.

I agree Benson should have never started singing, but the guy can still play! Plus George Benson was a forerunner in deeloping Teh Br00tlz, as he used to play with Cookie Monster on Sesame Street.

BTW - I mean Geogre Benson, not Benson Dubois:

benson.jpg

• Members

Sonny Sharrock.

[YOUTUBE]jghbGlhtFy4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]uUeAl6ledso[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]ngIm2YfaksE[/YOUTUBE]

Sadly most famous outside of jazz circle for doing the Space Ghost Coast 2 Coast Theme (which was awesome anyway), he had several definitive free jazz albums. Died young at 54.

• Members

Wes, Charlie Christian, George Barnes, Pass, Grant Green, Slim Gaillard, Teddy Bunn, etc. I guess I'm just listing here but Wes and Charlie are faves for sure.

Though I have to include Leon McAulliffe. His steel playing is so friggin' amazing! Yes, I know he's western swing, but his jazz influences are great.

• Members

favorite jazz guitarists? hmm, with the exception of Sharrock, Barnes, and Bunn, every name mentioned thus far makes it to my favorites list. great list! :thu:

i'd add some contemporary players like Howard Alden, Jimmy Bruno, Frank Vignola, Mimi Fox, Tuck Andress.

I didnt see (old guys) Herb Ellis, Bucky Pizzarelli nor Ed Bickert mentioned either...where's Charlie Christian??

Jim Hall, Wes, and Joe Pass are most likely among my top three faves.:thu:

• Members

Wes Montgomery, Earl Klugh, Joe Pass, Bireli Lagrene, Kenny Burrell, Pat Metheny, John Pizzarelli are some of my favorites.

Earl Klugh was a huge early influence on me because some of his stuff was actually playable. I sat down and learned a bunch of his songs by ear, listening over and over again. I haven't played that stuff in years, but I always want to go back to it one of these days.

Archived