What Song Do You HAVE To Sing Along With?

• Members

There's a handful of artists that, when they're playing, I can hardly keep from singing along with (or trying to, good or bad).

It's not quite accurate to say that I wish I could sing like them, 'cause I sing along even when I know I can't sing like them and never will. But dang, hearing their material just makes me want to sing, period.

So throwing my pride aside:

Stevie Wonder material from, say, I Was Made To Love Her through Reggae Woman sets me going. Sort of like trying go one on one with Kobie, 'tho..

Also Robert Plant/Zeppelin material, I can go about two minutes before my pipes give out. Guys like him must have vocal chords made of titanium.

And Van Morrison.

I should stick to easier people to emulate, say George Harrison or Lyle Lovett - more limited range, not a lot of volume, etc.

But those guys don't inspire like the guys with the big, big pipes.

nat whilk ii

• Moderators

Some less than stellar art makes me want to sing along. Certain songs just make you want to howl. Even if you don't like them...

I get knocked down, but I get up again

They're never gonna keep me down

By Chumbawumba. Is that right? I mean, it's a stupid song, and when I mention that I like to sing along I get stares and ribbed for it etc. And they're right, it's stupid. But you know, he does get knocked down and he manages to get back up and I think that's pretty cool. And they're a bunch of drunk Scots, my lineage. And like I said, he gets back up! 'Nuff said.

Close to You by The Carpenters (Whaaaaa-ahh-ahh-ahh-ahh)

When I Need You by Leo Sayer (Just hold my hand... and I'm with you)

The vamp at the end of Stairway... And as we wind on down the road!

Frankenstien by Edgar Winter. No words but I can go "Doo-doot-doot doo doot-doot-doo! Then the Arp fill after; nahnernahnernahnah. And the opening drum fill; Blech-eh-dung...

• Members

I have to do the vocal harmony lines to Badfinger's "No Matter What".

Ditto: "Ten Storeys High" by David & Jonathan [Gawd, I lu-u-urve this undiscovered little Spectoresque gem. :love::thu:]

buYNwqTDI-c&feature=related

Ditto: "Dedicated To The One I Love" by The Mamas & The Papas. [Watch Cass fudge her entry here! :eek:]

m7REVN93-CQ

Ditto: "Dawn (Go Away)" by The Four Seasons. [And how fabulous is this mid-60's video? Blue will approve, I suspect.]

B6_7-nipBMs

Ditto: "Baby, I Love You" by The Ronettes. [Just a slideshow here... This will NOT get Blue's official Seal Of Approval! :facepalm:;)]

gbbRkHazUIg

Ditto: "When I Grow Up To Be A Man" and "Don't Worry, Baby" by The Beach Boys [Oh dear. Two vids now that Blue will hate. :facepalm: ]

HWSMdcpgJsw

• Members

I used to think that I sounded great when I dueted with the former Cat Stevens on "Wild World." Cat and me -- we had a thing together. Too bad he went all fundamentalist on his own self... unbecoming for a guy who made his name singing about peace and love to go on to condemning apostates of his own faith to death (I refer to his affirmation of the death fatwah against Salman Rushdie, of course). Ah... but back in the day... Cat would come on the tinky AM radio in my old Karmann Ghia and... well... it was a magic time for us.

PS... assuming I'm the only "blue" here...;) It took me a while to figure out where my approval came in... (not the hugest 4 Seasons fan)... but I get it, the slideshow vs video thang... Hey, I'm not offended by someone linking to the stuff... I'm offended by it, in a sense, by it taking the place of a real video on Youtube -- but specifically by not being distinguishable from real videos when I'm searching YT. So, someone pointing me to a track and warning me it's a slideshow has got nothing to fear from the stormy tides of my ever-fluxing wraths...

• Moderators

I used to think that I sounded great when I dueted with the former Cat Stevens on "Wild World." Cat and me -- we had a thing together. Too bad he went all fundamentalist on his own self... unbecoming for a guy who made his name singing about peace and love to go on to condemning apostates of his own faith to death (I refer to his affirmation of the death
fatwah
against Salman Rushdie, of course). Ah... but back in the day... Cat would come on the tinky AM radio in my old Karmann Ghia and... well... it was a magic time for us.

Ah yes... I remember it as well. You were awesome.

And Ras, Badfinger's No Matter What would be just about the best example out there. Great call. "Knock down the old grey walls... be a part of it all!"

• Members

Ah yes... I remember it as well. You were awesome.

And Ras, Badfinger's No Matter What would be just about the best example out there. Great call. "Knock down the old grey walls... be a part of it all!"

Mention of Badfinger reminds me that I used to have a ball dueting in the car with Harry Nilsson on Badfinger's "Without You" as well as "One Is the Loneliest Numbers." Me and Harry... we could hit those high notes. And when I hit them... they stayed down.

• Members

PS... assuming I'm the only "blue" here...
;)
It took me a while to figure out where my approval came in... (
not
the hugest 4 Seasons fan)... but I get it, the slideshow vs video thang... Hey, I'm not offended by someone
linking to the stuff
... I'm offended by it, in a sense, by it taking the place of a real video on Youtube -- but
specifically
by not being distinguishable from real videos when I'm searching YT. So, someone pointing me
to
a track and warning me it's a slideshow has got nothing to fear from the stormy tides of my ever-fluxing wraths...

I know, I know. I'm jes' yankin' yer chain, amigo! :thu:

• Moderators

Yeah, Harry Nilsson. I still do sing with Harry a lot. And The Dog Night's version of One. The whole

"is the loneliest number

one, is the loneliest number

One, is the loneliest number that you'll ever do"

That's kind of hard to resist. The delaying of the "...one". It just feels good. Or lonely I mean.

• Members

I like singing along with "Redemption Song" by Bob Marley, but I feel like a poser trying to sing in a Jamacin accent.

That never seemed to bother Clapton...or Phil Collins...or Sting...or UB40 - wait, I think there's a Jamaican guy in UB40, but anyway,

you have company.

nat whilk ii

Archived