GFS VEH

goatman

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Jay - you might want to tweak those images again. looks a lot like the cover to the Diver Down album.

The cover of the Diver Down album is just a Diver Down flag used by scuba divers all over the world. No trademark or copyright infringement there.

031795_big.jpg

• Members
yes- it's called the "Microsoft Windows Vista" pickup- We're going to use the vista logo on the boxes....

Dammit! You know that's a trademarked................. oh wait...
:D

Actually I tend to think our Fat Pat does a nice job- In a week or so we have a new set of Alnico II pickups that we've really managed to tame the high end for a vintage wound set- very smooth upper mids with extreme high end clarity- which, combined with a dark amp and use of th etone control- gives you the Joe Pass thing.

Got clips?

• Members

I think the big problem a few of you guys have is you assume this is some sort of an evil corporation run by a team of ruthless businessmen, rather than a couple of schmucks who play guitar...

I don't believe you're evil, and I don't believe there's a team of ruthless businessmen, but let's not forget Jay Abend was responsible for this:

http://bedrock27.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/1200bradjoead.jpg

And you want us to believe, that your'e just another "Jay the Guitar Player", and that you know nothing of the whole late-70's gain scene? That you're unfamiliar with EVH?

Here and at other times (cough, Power Rails, cough) you've insisted that you know NOTHING of what products are coming from your competitors in your industry.

I just don't understand why you're trying so hard to paint yourself as a clueless moron. Okay, moron is a strong word, but what would you call Steve Ballmer if he claimed ignorance of Apple's OSX even existing? I know you're no CEO of Microsoft, but seriously, You make it sound like you guys sit around playing guitar and drinking beer all day until the phone rings and someone wants a unique sounding pickup. Then it's "to the Jaycave!" If that's the case, then you've got plenty of time to surf the web and keep up with what others in your industry are doing. Not to mention recording some cotton-pickin' clips for the rest of your pickups.

But I digress. That you have no idea what's going on with your competitors is a big pill for your customers here on HCEG to swallow.

- Ryan, The Computer Guy

• Members

Ryan-

Here's the thing.

EVERY SINGLE ASSUMPTION you make in this post is wrong. EVERY ONE.

You do not know me or my company- and you have made some very, very wrong guesses here.

I have given you the exact honest story exactly as it happened... i did not know there was an EVH model pickup until TODAY. And yes- as I have said before- we always called this proto project the "Vintage Hot" or the "Vintage Extra Hot"- We specifically chose against using the "VH" on the box...

I am certainly not a clueless moron- but I am also not an evil genius.

You can believe what you want... You can make up likely sounding stories to your heart's content... but the truth is the truth.

And what we do here all day long is ship orders... and not much else. I always have half a dozen projects on my bench at any given moment. Certainly I've heard of Edward van Halen- but this is not some sinister plan to rip anyone off... I knew there was a Van Halen amp and guitar but I had no idea there was a pickup- and ours really has nothing to do with that item anyway as far as what it actually is.

And you know what- if we never had referenced the "VH" thing anywhere it probably would not have mattered much- we're just trying to hit specific tonal reference points- and people seem to figure it out just fine.

And yeah- I'm just Jay The Guitar Player....

• Members

"So the VEH started life as a project to get the warmth of our Fat Pat with extended high end- on a budget."

I think this is an important statement, because it places your products in relation to one another. Your recordings worried me a bit until I read you statement about "recording the MP3 a bit too hot". Now atleast I can understand that the breakup is just a fault of the recording, and not a true character of the pickup. I hope you get the chance to re-record it. Also, it might help us to sort out the sounds of your many pickups if there was a Guitar/amp setup/settings listed with the recordings, OR if we could just know you always test with the same guitar/amp.. just a thought. Keep up the good work.

• Members

What assumptions did I make? Let me go back and read my post . . . .

*scroll scroll scroll*

I don't know if you can call it an assumption since it was basically a restatement of what you already said, but I asserted that you named it VEH before you wanted it to sound like EVH.

Was that wrong?

And don't for a second think that I see you as a guy who sits around and drinks beer and plays guitar all day. I know your business tragically probably has little to do with being a guitar player on a daily basis, and I realize that your business is insanely busy and in order to keep costs low you do a lot of the work yourself, leaving you little time to sit down and record clips of your pickups.

Those statements were just my innocent observations of what your forum persona projects when it comes to new products that resemble other products in existence.

The EVH pickup is not exactly heavily marketed or extremely well known outside of fan circles (I didn't know about it until your pickup came out, honestly), and in fact if you google EVH pickup, you get a thread over at guitargeek about how Guitarfetish just came out with an EVH pickup and is probably going to get sued. :lol:

Honestly, if you had explained right up front that you weren't copying the SD Pickup, you were copying EVH's tone, as you later quasi-admitted to, I don't think I would've even bothered with my first reply. When you claimed that the VEH wasn't like ANY product except that it was a humbucker, I literally rolled my eyes. But if you say you didn't know about the SD Custom '78 when you made that statement, who am I to question it?

• Members

Would 11k or 12k be considered high output? I think the 498t is 14k.

i dunno, i think they are medium output, and its just this that seems to give them their cool tone. ive always considered the 498 a strong pickup upper medium output (got one in my firebird) . interested in putting the VEH in my Strat though.

• Members
I don't even know where to begin tearing this idiocy apart..

1.) You mention "Eddie" in the ad copy..

2.) You use Eddies trademarked (better look it up again) stripes on the packaging.. There is nothing random about your packaging.. You knew damn well what youw ere trying to do..

3.) When you get the C&D letter, please post it? I'm curious what EVH's lawyers will have to say about it..

Have a nice day..
:wave:

Ravan way to go there. I thought Jay was your friend. Noice going throwing your friend (and ours) under the bus here. I remember one other thread you were critical of Jay and he tried to put you in your place. I am wondering if you are just generally anti GFS...

• Members

And what about the boxes they come in? Is that artwork going to still use the trademarked EVH graphics?

btw, doesn't Seymour Duncan have some sort of trademark on zebra pickups? Seriously.. At one point, Dimarzio and others couldn't do zebras or soemthing like that.. I'm sure someone else will know that story..

No, Seymour Duncan doesn't have a trademark on that. Dimarzio does have a trademark on double creme pickup bobbins for humbuckers.

Archived