Is a 1994 MIM "Squier Series" the Equivalent of the Current $400 MIM?

Utterist

• Members

I found a guitar on my local craigslist, and it says it's a "Squier Series" on the headstock. I remember reading that they called the MIM's "Squier Series" in the 90's.

Is this guitar the equivalent of a modern day Squier, or a modern day MIM?

• Members

Closer to a MIM standard Fender.

One of my first guitars was one of those - it was basically the same as the older MIM strats, with a few differences. (tuners and pickups i think - just to make it a bit cheaper, hence why it's called squier series).

I remember reading that they made those because the squier factory burned down (or something like that).

• Members

I'd say they were a very slight step down from the then-current MIM Standard. I think they were only made in 1994 and 1995 when they were moving production of Asian Squiers from Korea to Indonesia and China so a 1994 or 1995 MIM Squier Series Fender was about equivalent to a 1994 or 1995 MIM Fender, but with lesser quality tuners, saddles, electronics. Basically, the bodies and necks were the same on MIM Fenders and MIM Squier Series.

I'd consider them a definite step down from a 2008 or 2009 MIM Standard though. MIMs now have very decent tuners, bridge, saddles, trem block, pots etc. I would expect to pay $130 to $150 for a nice condition MIM Squier Series, or maybe $170 for one in perfect condition. But if was into the $225 or $250 range, I'd ante up the extra $100 or so to get a current standard MIM.

• Members

I'd say they were a very slight step down from the then-current MIM Standard. I think they were only made in 1994 and 1995 when they were moving production of Asian Squiers from Korea to Indonesia and China so a 1994 or 1995 MIM Squier Series Fender was about equivalent to a 1994 or 1995 MIM Fender, but with lesser quality tuners, saddles, electronics. Basically, the bodies and necks were the same on MIM Fenders and MIM Squier Series.

I'd consider them a definite step down from a 2008 or 2009 MIM Standard though. MIMs now have very decent tuners, bridge, saddles, trem block, pots etc. I would expect to pay $130 to $150 for a nice condition MIM Squier Series, or maybe $170 for one in perfect condition. But if was into the $225 or $250 range, I'd ante up the extra $100 or so to get a current standard MIM.

Ditto on pretty much what he said.

When you go check-out this "Squier Series", bring a set of Allen wrenchs. I think you find that the truss rod adjustment nut takes a SAE (not metric) wrench, which I think indicates that the neck was actually made in the Corona, USA plant.

• Members

Ditto on pretty much what he said.

When you go check-out this "Squier Series", bring a set of Allen wrenchs. I think you find that the truss rod adjustment nut takes a SAE (not metric) wrench, which I think indicates that the neck was actually made in the Corona, USA plant.

Yeah, at that time, I think all the necks for Fender were made at the same plant whether they were MIM Squiers, MIM Fenders or MIAs.

• Members

I agree.

Here is a MASSIVE thread in "another" forum in which Keith Brawley (at the time VP at Fender in charge of Squier) gives the lowdown on all things Squier up to about 2000.

http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html?db=2000&topic_number=13885

• Members

I found a guitar on my local craigslist, and it says it's a "Squier Series" on the headstock. I remember reading that they called the MIM's "Squier Series" in the 90's.

Is this guitar the equivalent of a modern day Squier, or a modern day MIM?

Neither. It's just under the equivalent of a 1994 MIM Standard. Today's MIM Standards have quite a few enhancements over the MIM Standards from those days.

EDIT: See what Cratz2 has posted. Also, Lowbrow is familiar with these models.

• Members

Depends on what you are after. But 100 bucks is a good deal. You coul probably get that out of the neck, if it is clean playing now.

For 100 bucks I'd jump, unless it was a turd.

The necks are nice (naturally) but the hardware is nothing to crow about.

It's surely a better neck than a current Squier Standard.

It's probably an equal or better quality neck than a current MIM, but different cuz of the finish.

I bought this Squier Series MIM Fender out of the Spam thread. It was way modified; it's now a string thru with a hardtail bridge and P90s. I bought it specifically for the neck and was not disappointed (after a fret level and setup). Turns out it is a cool guitar, too.

P90Tele004.jpg

P90Tele002.jpg

• Members

Yup, my P-Bass is a MIM Fender with "squire series" in very small script on the curved part of the headstock. It's a mid-90's model. Bought it in college. Plays as well as any MIM Fender I've ever picked up. Of course, I added new electronics and a new pickguard.

bass1.jpg

• Members

i have a black mn4 laying around somewhere. i think i paid around 100 for it and believe me, it is a steal. one of my 2 mim's is also a 94 and they are pretty much identical sound wise. the finish is better on the mim but not THAT much better. the fret work is about the same but the squier series has a sightly thicker neck and the frets are a bit bigger. the finishing on the frets isn't quite as nice either. the pots and switch on mine are the exact same as the mim from the same year. the pups actually look the same as well, but younever know obviously. so i agree with the 'slightly less' than mim quality. but again, well worth 100 bucks. $200~ is reasonable for one imo.

{censored}, give me a min i'll see if i can't find it in my mess of {censored}.

here's a pic of my mn4... haven't seen it in a good 2 years lol. pretty much one of those, 'hell for 100 bucks i'll take it!'.

• Members

I have an NC-serial number bullet series strat that was apparently made in 1994 in china. I find it hard to believe that fender was making crap guitars in 2 countries badged with "squier".

I like it and screwed a bunch of real fender stuff on it. I paid $75 and it was a piece of crap. It's still not a nice guitar, but it looks bitchin' and I play it out alot. It was in great shape. The neck is big and round. A deep U I think. 22 small 70s fender-ish frets. Snall peghead. Bathtub rout. Body isn't plywood (i plugged bridge screw holes and redrilled for a MIA vintage fender one), but it is pretty heavy. If feels like it's thicker than my late 80s 62 ri.

This strat has the best fender vintage trem set-up out of all my guitars. Stays in tune and really good bounce. Floats a little tiny bit.

Archived