Agile guitar... horrible intonation/honest opinion/not another glowing review/etc

sickman

• Members
However we have established that he has no working clue about intonation.

He really doesn't need a strobe to do a 'decent' intonation - it won't be perfect, but guitars typically never are (or never are everywhere on the neck, or never for very long.) He does need a reasonable accurate tuner though.

And some instruction on intonation.

And the willingness to do it.

Hell, I do it on every string change.

Edit:

FTR: I do not, nor have ever owned an agile. But I'm skeptical of the opinion of anyone who does not understand basic intonation.

It like saying a Ford is a POS because the timing is off.

I'm going to give it a try... which is why I posted this looking for information on how to intonate. For something that so many of you seem to think is so easy to do you sure don't explain it very well. :confused:

I have been playing around 15 years and the only other guitar I had this problem with was an Epiphone acoustic. This is different because this guitar I can get in tune below the 12th fret, the Epiphone wouldn't get or stay in tune at all.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A guitar can only be deemed a 'turd' when the individual making a claim is of the level being abel to ascertain it himself. The OP can't intonate an Agile.. let alone if it were a Fender, a Gibson or any other guitar...

I think the problem lies between the floor and the guitar at this point.

I'm not disagreeing.

When I gigged with it it sounded good and was intonated properly. I put it in the case and brought my Gibson out two months ago. I decided to bring the Agile out this weekend and noticed the problem.

• Members

Perhaps you guys are just douchebags. Yep that's it.

Help the boy out or step off.

I love that you insulted the OP on the first page, and have the audacity to tell others that they must help or leave. Dude, get off the {censored}ing high horse.

• Members

Haha what a {censored}storm.

One Agile here. Decent guitar, hardly the Holy Grail of guitars.

Set intonation: Using your cheap-ass non-strobe tuner that only rich guitar geeks would own anyway, tune the E string as perfectly to E as possible. Then fret it at the 12th and check tuning. If it is sharp, the string needs to be longer. Move the saddle back a bit. If it is flat, the string needs to be shorter. Move the saddle forward a bit. Retune the open string, fret it again, check results, repeat till pretty damn close, go to next string, repeat.

I have guitars all the time that I don't touch for a while and they "go out" during that time. They are made of wood and wood can be unstable. Go figure.

• Members
Haha what a {censored}storm.

One Agile here. Decent guitar, hardly the Holy Grail of guitars.

Set intonation: Using your cheap-ass non-strobe tuner that only rich guitar geeks would own anyway, tune the E string as perfectly to E as possible. Then fret it at the 12th and check tuning. If it is sharp, the string needs to be longer. Move the saddle back a bit. If it is flat, the string needs to be shorter. Move the saddle forward a bit. Retune the open string, fret it again, check results, repeat till pretty damn close, go to next string, repeat.

I have guitars all the time that I don't touch for a while and they "go out" during that time. They are made of wood and wood can be unstable. Go figure.

LOL... I will need a $300 tuner to get a $200 guitar in tune! Hahaha. ;)

I was just thinking it would be funny if this was a result of the strings going bad while it was sitting in its case. If that is the case quite the the s**tstorm for nothing.

• Members

I'm not disagreeing.

When I gigged with it it sounded good and was intonated properly. I put it in the case and brought my Gibson out two months ago. I decided to bring the Agile out this weekend and noticed the problem.

I meant no disrespect to you in my statement. Learning how to intonate (even on a cheaper tuner) is definitely something that should be on your 'to-do' list.

And to be honest -- the title of thread is very flame worthy... no where is there an honest opinion.. you should have stated I have an Agile and I don't know how to intonate it. You made it seem as though you had a review of a guitar .. but then couldn't even tell us what model (though it has nothing to do with the situation). Finally a 'problem' as you described it would indicate that you tried to rectify it and that you couldn't.

.. I'm just sayin'

Good luck!

• Members

You used the words "Agile" and "horrible" in the same zip code as each other.. Around here, thems fightin words! I'm fine with it myself, not a fan of cheap imports, but probably 90% of the people here own one or want to own one, and they're gonna tear you apart for saying anything against the holy Agile.. :poke:

Very true!

In terms of the OP, have a tech look at it to see if there are any neck issues. You may have gotten a bad one. They seem to be good guitars as plenty of people in these forums who know what they are talking about like them, so they cant be too bad - doesn't mean that I'll get one though.

• Members
I meant no disrespect to you in my statement. Learning how to intonate (even on a cheaper tuner) is definitely something that should be on your 'to-do' list.

And to be honest -- the title of thread is very flame worthy... no where is there an honest opinion.. you should have stated I have an Agile and I don't know how to intonate it. You made it seem as though you had a review of a guitar .. but then couldn't even tell us what model (though it has nothing to do with the situation). Finally a 'problem' as you described it would indicate that you tried to rectify it and that you couldn't.

.. I'm just sayin'

Good luck!

Yeah... It's an Internet forum. Nothing to get worked up about. Hopefully I can figure it out and better to experiment on my Agile than Gibson... ;)

• Members

Very true!

In terms of the OP, have a tech look at it to see if there are any neck issues.

Tech didn't say it had any neck issues, but when he set it up he said it's as good as it's going to get short of any fret leveling. Really, I'm not looking to sink a ton of money into this guitar.. I just bought it to see what the fuss was about. No real problems other than it wouldn't stay in tune when I first got it (yes I know how to tune a guitar, tech seems to have fixed it), I wasn't a fan of the stock pickups (replaced them with a pair of Duncan's), and now this...

• Members

Tech didn't say it had any neck issues, but when he set it up he said it's as good as it's going to get short of any fret leveling. Really, I'm not looking to sink a ton of money into this guitar.. I just bought it to see what the fuss was about. No real problems other than it wouldn't stay in tune when I first got it (yes I know how to tune a guitar, tech seems to have fixed it), I wasn't a fan of the stock pickups (replaced them with a pair of Duncan's), and now this...

If anything, you can use it to practice your modding skills:thu:

You are right not to sink too much money into it.

• Members

theres no such thing is a piece of {censored} guitar. i have a guitar with crooked frets and a mis aligned non compensated stop bar bridge and even THAT intonates just fine.

the little screws on the bridge adjust the sadles for intonation. if a string is sharp at the 12th fret, you want to lengthen the string - move the saddle away from the nut. if its flat, you do the oposite.

another thing to note, especially if youre a new player (dont know if the OP is) is that agressive finger pressure can severely sharpen notes around the "middle" of the fretboard. this happens by either accidentally bending - which that area is most sensitive to - or plain ol pushing the string over the fret so hard that it actually stretches. when you test the intonation with the tuner, you can see this effect by changing finger pressure at the 12th fret.

anyhow, this is why i think its important for all guitarists to know how to set up guitars. even if you still arent going to do the work on your own, knowing WHY everything does what it does will help you figure out whats wrong in short order.

• Members

can i play tooo!!! you guys are sooo cool.

how bout we just help the poor guy learn to set his guitar up correctly and he wont have to complain about this or any other guitar's intonation again?

theres no such think is a piece of {censored} guitar. i have a guitar with crooked frets and a mis aligned non compensated stop bar bridge and even THAT intonates just fine.

the little screws on the bridge adjust the sadles for intonation. if a string is sharp at the 12th fret, you want to lengthen the string - move the saddle away from the nut. if its flat, you do the oposite.

another thing to note, especially if youre a new player (dont know if the OP is) is that agressive finger pressure can severely sharpen notes around the "middle" of the fretboard. this happens by either accidentally bending - which that area is most sensitive to - or plain ol pushing the string over the fret so hard that it actually stretches. when you test the intonation with the tuner, you can see this effect by changing finger pressure at the 12th fret.

anyhow, this is why i think its important for all guitarists to know how to set up guitars. even if you still arent going to do the work on your own, knowing WHY everything does what it does will help you figure out whats wrong in short order.

good advice:thu:

I think people tend to get a bit too worked up about brands. The OP had an important question.

• Members

theres no such think is a piece of {censored} guitar. i have a guitar with crooked frets and a mis aligned non compensated stop bar bridge and even THAT intonates just fine.

Yeah...I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that not one portion of the quote above is remotely true. There are most certainly {censored}ty guitars, and you don't have a guitar with crooked frets and a mis-aligned tail piece that intones just fine.

Shenanigans, I say.

• Members

Yeah...I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that not one portion of the quote above is remotely true. There are most certainly {censored}ty guitars, and you don't have a guitar with crooked frets and a mis-aligned tail piece that intones just fine.

Shenanigans, I say.

what, is my name iansmitchel now?

• Members

Fanboy = one who blindly defends their favorite (anything) and attacks anyone that dares to speak poorly of that (anything).. Sure, I'm a Carvin fanboy, I'll admit that happily.. But clearly, you are an Agile fanboy... Nothing wrong with that, but have the nerve to admit it..

Now, answer Ben's question..

just cuz you got 11 gems, doesn't mean the OP did.. That's true of any brand, even Carvin and even Agile..

Find where I blindly defended Agile in this thread. Go.

Ben postulated that it was a piece of {censored}. I questioned his experience with the brand. He has yet to answer.

You suck at this.

• Members

Find where I blindly defended Agile in this thread. Go.

Ben postulated that it was a piece of {censored}. I questioned his experience with the brand. He has yet to answer.

You suck at this.

Well, allow me to answer. I have never played one, nor do they appeal enough to me to WANT to play one. I feel that this is irrelevant, however.

I questioned whether THIS particular guitar was a piece of {censored}. I could care less about the brand, every brand puts out a POS every now and again. Why do I need experience with Agile to question whether the OP got a turd? Is that entirely outside the realm of possibilities?

Again, just because you own 11 and are happy, does not mean that there can't be a crappy one out there.

If someone came on and said "my Gibson won't intonate properly", I could question the same thing.

You're just kind of being a prick to everybody who doesn't share your view. It's juvenile and I'm got no more use for this thread.

• Members

there is a five parter on you-tube about the 3100 Agile les paul and the first part is about changing out the bridge. if it doesn't hold intonation this should be your first option.they bought a bridge from the bay for 20.00 and put on that new 3100. another option is to get a tube of screw thread sealant and reset the intonation and then apply the sealant to the screws. I would however just get a good bridge installed. problem solved.:)a guitar going out of intonation is not unusual when its a cheapo and should be the first indication that the bridge is substandard even if it is an Agile.you should watch that video.

• Members

LOL... I will need a $300 tuner to get a $200 guitar in tune! Hahaha.
;)

I was just thinking it would be funny if this was a result of the strings going bad while it was sitting in its case. If that is the case quite the the s**tstorm for nothing.

It quite well could be.....One of my strats suddenly really went out on the high notes...the high e string...I intonated and tuned and intonated and tuned...and was actually getting a bit worried.....then I took one look at the rusted piece of {censored} I was trying to tune and thought...yeah it has been a while since I changed the strings....problem solved...

It's like working on a car....always start with the cheapest most obvious possibility and then work your way backwards...

I live in a very humid place and cheaper strings (ernie balls/boomers..etc) will start to corrode in about 2 weeks or so....next time I'll do a string change before I get to worried.

Archived