How many of you guitar geeks have also been audiophile geeks? And describe -

GAS Man

• Members
I thought it was surprising that the Marantz receiver became one of the most coveted pieces of gear of that era.

QUOTE]

Doesn't surprise me at all.

The mid 70's Marantz stuff was very well built and engineered.

Not to mention very nice looking.

Sansui was very nice as well.

Those 9090db's are pretty sought after by collectors.

It's sad that most all those manufacturers product quality (except the more boutique brands) went to crap in a short time in the 80's.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes I am a hardcore audiophile. You can blame the people that I worked with in a radio station when I was in college for getting me into this hobby.

Acoustat 2MH electrostatic loudspeakers

Magnepan Magneplanar MG-1.5Q speakers

Audio by Van Alstine FET-Valve Power Amp

Audio by Van Alstine Omega III Power Amp

Sound Valves VTP-101i Vacuum Tube Preamplifier

Creek OBH-9 Moving Coil Phono Preamplifier

Acoustic Research ES-1 Turntable

Audio Technica OC-9MC Moving Coil Phono Cartridge

Audioquest PT-5 Tonearm

Teac VRDS-10 CD Player

MSB Daclink Digital to Analog Converter

Monarchy Audio DIP Anti-Jitter Filter

Koss ESP-9B Electrostatic Headphones

For my computer room sound system:

Sonic Frontiers DAC-1 Digital to Analog Converter

Adcom GFP-555 Preamp

Adcom GFA-5400 Power Amp

Magnepan Magneplanar MMG Loudspeakers

wow, this is some cool stuff!

here's mine:

adcom gft 555 tuner

adcom gfp 555 pre

adcom gfa 545 power amp

klipsch towers

thorens table

nakamichi deck

american audio cd player (two drawer dj version with pitch controls and all that stuff)

• Members

i've got a $3000 car audio system and i could probably spend $50000+ on my dream home setup...does that count?

car system...

HU:Eclipse CD7000

TWEETS:Seas luminum neos *active*

MIDS:CDT CL-61A *active*

SUBS:eD 13Ov2 D4's x 2 in 3 cubes vented @35hz

FS AMP:Memphis Audio 16 MC-2004.50wrms x 4

SUB AMP:eD nine.1,1200wrms x 1@1 ohm,rate @ 12v

Stinger 1 farad cap

0/1 awg knukonceptz wiring through out

big 3 upgraded with knukonceptz 0/1 wiring

Optima yellow top under the hood

i had a 250a alternator on my s-10,it's for a 2.2 4 banger and won't fit my blazer...the blazer's stock alt seems to handle it ok though...

Damon

• Members

I happen across what I happen across. Nothing extreme, but a Nikko NR515 receiver, a set of TDC speakers, and a Bang and Olufson Beogram 1700 turntable. It isn't the most powerful, or the best names, but it gets things done, and I only have about $250 in the whole setup

• Members

I'm not but my dad is... BIG time.

He just bought this for his 49th bday:

Pioneer Elite Kuro PRO-151FD

Pioneer Elite SC-09TX

Definitive Technologies Mythos ST (x2)

Definitive Technologies SuperCube Reference

Definitive Technologies Mythos 3

Definitive Technologies Mythos 2 (x2)

Definitive Technologies UIW RCS II (x2)

Furman IT-REFERENCE 20i

I really wish I still lived at home.:eek:

• Members

Since about 2 years old. I used to play Hello Dolly by Satch repeatedly. My mother was convinced the record player had repeat, but it was my toddling ass, picking up the arm and starting it over.

I'm an audiophile in that I am always searching for the best sound.

Except I'm smart.

I know that it doesn't matter what parts give you the sound you wanted. And sometimes cheap is just as good.

I especially enjoyed making trophy winning car stereo installations out of JUNK.

I built a car that everyone LOVED the sound of. It cost 132 in componets, total. All bought from stores.

It was appropriate cuz the car was a real piece of sh*t too.

I've owned hundreds of respected home speakers. I finally built my own. I've found one pair of manufactured speakers since then that can compare. They're the closest so far and it's really not that close.

I've built my own amps and preamps too.

I refurb R-Rs in my spare time.

My stereo provides me a GREAT deal of happiness.

Wow... my story is eerily similar. I'm actually into guitar because of my audiophile interests, which I've had since I was a kid. I got big into the car audio thing as a teenager, and still enjoy upgrading every car I get. Primarily, I'm a home audio guy though. Like DC, I'm smart enough to know the difference between real and snake oil improvements. I guess being an EE gives me the common sense to realize that expensive power cords and speaker cables don't do dick to improve the sound. A few years back I got into building my own speakers, and have also begun to dive into designing my own crossovers with FFT measurements and simulation software. This has really taken a back seat since I decided to pick up a guitar a couple years ago (then pick it up for good a year ago), but when I get my woodshop finished, I'll start building some designs to use the pile of new drivers I've got sitting in my garage.

As for equipment, my lineup is pretty modest. My main stereo consists of a NAD T742 receiver powering an old pair of Boston T830 tower speakers. Source unit is a Pioneer CD/DVD/SACD/DVD-A player. The bostons have a very easy to listen to, smooth sound, but lack the kind of detail that some of the sets I've built have offered. Unfortunately, the better stuff that I built was as a gift, so I didn't get to keep it.

And speaking of cheap car stereos, here's a little deal I put together for about $500 in my wife's camry which I inhereted and eventually sold:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/700618 (the good stuff is on page 2)

• Members

System 1

Sansui AU-7900, Denon DP-62L & DP-37F, Oppo DV-980H, Pioneer RG-60 & SG 50, New Advents & 3002's

System 2

Pioneer SX-D7000, PDR-W739 & CT-F950, Denon DP-59L, Allison 6's

Was very active on the Audiokarma forums until I got more into guitars.

• Members

Minor league old school stuff

Old Yamaha 2040 receiver

B&W DM6's ("pregnant penguin with Kevlar mids)

Old higher end Technics linear turntable.

Nakamichi LX-5 tape deck.

nothing special on the CD end.

Here's a picture of the speakers without covers.

• Members

All this audio equipment stuff makes me kinda dizzy.

I get the audiophile mind set, and it's atractive to follow that lead. My father was like that in in his younger days.

In the mid 70's he got a ROTEL amp that was suposedly high end, a Realistic 7 band stereo EQ, and a high en pioneer turntable.

Today I'm using this exact same setup for everything, Listening to music, movies and TV.

The only thing that's changed is that I got a DVD hooked up to it, the turnatable doesn't get a lot of use this days, and I replaced the bass speakers (for some not so good ones) since the originals pretty much turned to dust.

And I still think it sounds more lively and warm than you're average home stereo system that you buy this days.

I do want to get some better speakers sometime soon.

• Members

And speaking of cheap car stereos, here's a little deal I put together for about $500 in my wife's camry which I inhereted and eventually sold:

(the good stuff is on page 2)

DAYUM! you guys gotta go look at the box he built!

Doc, I just remembered there's a pair of those Dayton tweeters in the ceiling of my station wagon~!

• Members

I'm impressed! Those Dayton tweeters have legions of followers and lots of hacks figured out. I have 2 sets in various systems. What kind of pass caps do you have in the xover? A change to a good cap will be heard with those. Even just those Dayton caps.

Thanks. They have a great kick for bass drums. Even saxophones sound real reedy and live.

I can't remember what we used, but I'm pretty sure it was mostly Dayton parts to keep the cost reasonable. I know that I'll never buy off the shelf speakers again though. That's for sure.

• Members

The main source is a Pioneer PD-31 Elite cd player. That CD player is the last in a long line of about 50 consumer grade players. The difference is astonishing. I've mod'd many players (I have that Marantz one everybody was gaga over, sitting unused). The Pioneer PD-31 has an effortless, non digital sound, and GREAT bass. The "try every CD player you can get your hands on" trip was another real eye opener. I think I have less than 100 bucks in it. I will fix it forever. It has some respected D/As in it and good caps from the factory. I've never felt any need to do any mods to it.

It's interesting to hear about your Pioneer Elite series CD player. I've heard good things about the Elite series. I'd resigned myself to expect digital sound from CD players, but it sounds like I should take up the hunt again. My first CD player was a Magnavox, which I was told to buy because it was the same high grade Phillips components in the cheaper Magnavox cover. It died mechanically. Now I've just got some basic Circuit City Sony 5-disc changer. It works. I guess I should renew the hunt. Thanks for the tip, because I'm one of those who've long lamented the loss of the warm tone of vinyl. Sounds like I could get closer with the right player. ;)

• Members

You can, but it is NOT enough to just buy a name.

I auditioned at least 5 Elite players. The rest of them are long gone. The differences are night and day. I bought it used and had to fix the laser assy.

I think the most important thing is the ADACs used, and the quality of the caps in the output section.

The best recommendation I can give you now is to google "mod hack dvd player output". There are recent DVD players that have GOOD sound and are being hacked up to improve them to high levels. Like in the 40 buck range!:eek:

There are yahoo groups for this stuff. I looked but couldn't find them just now.

• Members

It's interesting to hear about your Pioneer Elite series CD player. I've heard good things about the Elite series. I'd resigned myself to expect digital sound from CD players, but it sounds like I should take up the hunt again. My first CD player was a Magnavox, which I was told to buy because it was the same high grade Phillips components in the cheaper Magnavox cover. It died mechanically. Now I've just got some basic Circuit City Sony 5-disc changer. It works. I guess I should renew the hunt. Thanks for the tip, because I'm one of those who've long lamented the loss of the warm tone of vinyl. Sounds like I could get closer with the right player.
;)

If the mechanics and laser of your Sony changer work good you can get a separate digital-to-analog converter to improve the audio if that is what you feel is lacking in the Sony.

Archived