What's the best upgrade you've ever done to a guitar?

Misha

• Members

Please tell me what is the best upgrade you've ever done to a guitar, which brand and model it was, etc!

I recently bought a 2008 MIM Fat Strat for 344$, was lucky enough to have a 100$ gift certificate to lower the price even more. I sent it to my tech who changed it back to a regular S-S-S Strat, put Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups (which come with 500K pot), put a new S-S-S pickguard, adjusted the action perfectly, the nut, etc...

The guitar now plays like butter and sounds better than my USA Tele! (Which means I now want to put a set of Kinman (noiseless) 60's Custom Tele pickups in the Tele :facepalm:)

What about you??? :snax:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Really, on strats with pot metal baseplates, saddles and the thin block, I think replacing all that is the biggest improvement. Pickups are pretty big as well.

Biggest improvement to the entire rig is usually replacing the speaker, esp if you have a Peavey with a Blue Marvel.

• Members

I've done a few that were pretty impressive, but the single biggest improvement was putting a set of '57 Classics into an Epiphone Dot. It was a pretty well put together guitar and took to a good setup really well, but it was pretty muffled sounding.

The Classics just opened it up so much in terms of frequency response and dynamics, but the craziest part was that it even played differently. I think that the magnetic pull was different because the strings rang out longer and it even needed the intonation to be readjusted.

• Members

best upgrade i ever did was practice playing the guitar. made it sound a whole lot better.

My teacher told me something like that today! ;)

He told me he sometimes see complete beginners with 1000 $ guitars! (I have nothing against that as long as they can afford it!)

He said it was better to put 500$ on the guitar and another 500$ on guitar lessons!

I must say though that my noiseless pickups are very useful when I use my Boss Micro BR to practice with headphones! It makes the thing sounds good without hearing that annoying "hum" from the single coils.

(BTW: Boss Micro BR + Noiseless pickups + headphones --> happy guitarist + happy neighbors! ;) ...)

Archived