My tone totally sucks! Help!

chiro972

• Members

I just can't seem to get a good tone out of any of my guitars and amps. Should I take them all in to a tech and have them gone through? Or should I sell them all and buy one really expensive guitar and amp??

Or....

Should I.............

Just keep {censored}ing practicing????? :poke:

Sorry, I just am in a sarcastic mood. I have decent but not great equipment, and I really do think my tone sucks in many ways. But its all me folks. I just am not where I should be after so many years of playing around with these damn instruments.

For those who might read this later and think they will find the holy grail of tone in someones reply. Just realize like me that you suck and just need to keep practicing!! :wave:

• Members

it seems like you have some nice guitars. i sort of agree with the whole "tone is in the fingers" thing, but a well made guitar and a good tube amp certainly add to it. go try out some different amps, if you still dont like anything, then the problem may be elsewhere.

• Members

"Mama said, there'll days like this". I think a few of us have been down that road a time or two. I will say, by way of more concrete suggestion, I did just get a Super Champ XD a week or so ago - and the Sun has been shining and the birds singing at my house ever since.

• Members

Honestly, the whole topic was meant to be tongue in cheek. I actually do have a superchamp xd. Awesome amp. Still doesn't change the fact that I suck and it just seems sometimes folks are looking and looking (including me) for that elusive combo that will make them sound great, when the truth is, tone really is in the fingers.

I have recently seen vids of SRV playing a squier strat. EVH when he had tone was using a guitar that looked like it was found in the garbage.

I just need to keep practicing......:(

• Members

Honestly, the whole topic was meant to be tongue in cheek. I actually do have a superchamp xd. Awesome amp. Still doesn't change the fact that I suck and it just seems sometimes folks are looking and looking (including me) for that elusive combo that will make them sound great, when the truth is, tone really is in the fingers.

I have recently seen vids of SRV playing a squier strat. EVH when he had tone was using a guitar that looked like it was found in the garbage.

I just need to keep practicing......
:(

Yeah but you have a cool SOH. What makes me :facepalm: are the ones that take themselves so seriously when it will never happen, no matter what they buy. But hey, it's all guitars so good stuff. :thu:

• Members

Are you sure everything is hooked up right? It is possible it is all in your line levels.....Tube amp? Bias is set right? Guitar pickups at right hight ( for your preference).

Good tone is something that changes with every room you play in. Understanding how to obtian what you want is the key....not in the equipment but how to use it properly....

• Members

he has a tube amp, the Crate v8.

the equipment list looks ok to me.

Tube =/= Automatically great amp.

I found the V8 a little lacking, just a volume and one tone control.

A new better would be the best.

What a great amp can do for your tone... :love:

• Members

I just need to keep practicing......
:(

Dude how long you been playing?

I recently provided clips to this forum and that's something I never do (wife never heard me playing until we were dating for 3 to 4 months (she forced me to play something)).

Do you have to ability to put clips up for us to hear how bad you "suck"?

Chances are you're stuck in a rut and are very down about it. Either way, play through it and/or post some clips. :thu:

• Members

1. Player

2. Amp

I've never heard a bad or mediocre player with great tone. Plug a hack player into Eric Johnson's rig and the tone WILL NOT be good. Tone is an active thing - you need to play the tone with your pick attack and vibrato. The amp is an instrument too. It's not designed to be a pure reproduction of your sound, it is supposed to color it.

I feel bad for those people who are always buying and selling gear. You need to learn to play your guitar and amp to get a good sound and that involves spending time with your gear. My style definitely changes when I switch from Strat to 335.

The amp is really a huge factor. Everyone who is seriously about their tone should own a good full size tube amp. The little guys (Champ 600s, V8s, etc) with smaller speakers and low headroom/wattage just don't produce as much body or punch in the sound, even a clean sound.

• Members

1. Player

2. Amp

I've never heard a bad or mediocre player with great tone. Plug a hack player into Eric Johnson's rig and the tone WILL NOT be good. Tone is an active thing - you need to play the tone with your pick attack and vibrato. The amp is an instrument too. It's not designed to be a pure reproduction of your sound, it is supposed to color it.

I feel bad for those people who are always buying and selling gear. You need to learn to play your guitar and amp to get a good sound and that involves spending time with your gear. My style definitely changes when I switch from Strat to 335.

The amp is really a huge factor. Everyone who is seriously about their should own a good full size tube amp. The little guys (Champ 600s, V8s, etc) with smaller speakers and low headroom/wattage just don't produce as much body or punch in the sound, even a clean sound.

This is 100% on the nose. All of it.

Unfortunately, acquiring gear is easier than learning to play well.

Learn to play well first. It's hard but it's gratifying.

Archived