My tone totally sucks! Help!

chiro972

• Members

What about basic diagnostics first before buying another amp. (Also FWIW I have to say modellers these days are awesome for someone trying to find their away) Volume, EQ and gain levels should be the first port of call. Even string gauge is pretty crucial. Delay/reverb and compressor effects should be looked at too. Not saying buy a Delayla right off the bat or something like that but go around and test stuff out. Allthese things can be used to enhance the things you like and reduce/eliminate the things you don't

Find what you like first rather than focusing what you don't like. Your tone may suck but there has to be something you like about your gear or else you wouldn't have bought. (if you didn't and still bought it then shame on you). Work on that as a platform.

• Members

Actually I need to update my sig. I have a superchamp xd, but it's all about the playing.

So Doctor Morbius. Are you a real doctor??? I could really use the finger lengthening thing. My fingers are so frigging short. But that is just another excuse. One of the best local players I know has the shortest, stubbiest sausage fingers I have ever seen and he is amazing.

You guys, this thread really was a joke but I appreciate the suggestions.

• Members

Amp amp amp! That's what it's all about. How you set your amp, the tonal spectrum of the amp's preamp (especially the treble and mid frequencies), the size of the amp enclosure or cabinet, the speakers, and the kind of distortion you're using (if any).

I don't buy the 'tone is in the fingers' argument. I've heard the pros (guitar heroes, whatever you want to call them) play through different amps and/or with different EQ settings on the amp or the mixer (when the amp is miked through the PA or studio mixing console) and to my ears some tones sound good and some sound downright horrid. For example, not all the tones that Van Halen got with his Marshall 'Plexi' head were good. I like the tones he got on the second album and the 5150 album, but the amp tones on all the other albums I heard basically sucked.

• Members

I have a similar problem. No matter what work I put in tweaking tones, or basic maintenance like cleaning/replacing strings, I can't get away from my own perception that my tone is just horrible. Weak, thin and scratchy with no balls or girth.

My gear is as follows:

- Fender Lite Ash Strat (10-54 strings, Seymour Duncan single coil pickups)

- Agile AL200 LP copy (10-54 strings, upgraded humbuckers)

- Yamaha Pacifica 821D (HSH, FR trem etc)

- POD XT Live (with bass expansion/collector classics/,etal shop expansion packs) - running into mixer and studio monitors

- Vox AD30VT hybrid amp

So reasonable quality kit, at least.

I'd LOVE to either:

plug my Strat/Agile LP into proper, full size tube amps

or

plug a Gibson LP or American Strat into my POD XT/Vox AD30VT

...just to ascertain whether it was my gear at fault, but I've never had the opportunity.

Archived