It looks like I'm getting a Martin D28

Frets99

I believe Martin made this one exclusively for Guitar Center. There is a touch of neck separation but nothing that affects playability or tone. It's been inspected by a Martin dealer tech who didn't seemed concerned. It can always be sent to Martin as it has the lifetime warranty. My friend bought it initially because of it's beautiful tone. He has since moved on to a D-35 (at my, devil on his shoulder insistence.... I might add! It sounded so beautiful and I felt he deserved a treat as he is just retired) Well, because of the defect, he has offered his D-28 to me for $500. I will buy this sucker because I love a great deal and I can't think of a better deal than to get a guitar I have played and know to be sweet as summer rain for that money!!!!!:eek::eek:

• Members

If I understand you correctly, your friend bought this guitar. If so, then the warranty is in his name, and it is not transferable.

As far as the neck separation, I would guess that a tiny gap is showing between the neck heel and the body. That's not too abnormal, as long as the neck is not loose or the action is not high. If a good luthier has looked at it and not been alarmed, don't worry about it.

Now, about that price... $500 for a D-28??? :eek: That must be one helluva good friend. :thu:

Nobody ever went wrong with a Martin D-28! :thu:

• Members

FF is right, the warranty is only in your friends name and once he sells it to you is no longer valid. If there is any reason to have the neck fixed have him do it before the sale. Make doubly sure that the gap doesn't also mean there is neck angle issues (a D28 should have a dovetail so its pretty hard for me to see how a gap can form in the first place)

Otherwise, that is a killer deal and I think you'll love the git.

FF is right, the warranty is only in your friends name and once he sells it to you is no longer valid. If there is any reason to have the neck fixed have him do it before the sale. Make doubly sure that the gap doesn't also mean there is neck angle issues (a D28 should have a dovetail so its pretty hard for me to see how a gap can form in the first place)

Otherwise, that is a killer deal and I think you'll love the git.

Thanks! I'll get it all checked out beforehand for sure and post pics when I get it.

If I understand you correctly, your friend bought this guitar. If so, then the warranty is in his name, and it is not transferable.

As far as the neck separation, I would guess that a tiny gap is showing between the neck heel and the body. That's not too abnormal, as long as the neck is not loose or the action is not high. If a good luthier has looked at it and not been alarmed, don't worry about it.

Now, about that price... $500 for a D-28???
:eek:
That must be one helluva good friend.
:thu:

Nobody ever went wrong with a Martin D-28!
:thu:

Gotcha! He's a good friend. Not reach around good :o but really good....

• Members

Well seems a gd deal gd for ye and ENJOY :)

As fir the neck joint etc so what if its in your friends name after he has sold it to you

Well he's a friend so to get it checked out he can send it to where he bought it from and have the Martin checked out for ye

But according to the guys on here it seems ok so :cool::thu:

• Members

I believe Martin made this one exclusively for Guitar Center.

Wow. I never heard of such a creature. I've heard of the DSM, DSR and MMV but they're all basically 15 series with A frame bracing and MT neck joints. If you D-28 sounds half as good as the 2 MMV's I've tried then you've got a cannon on you hands.

Sheesh. $500?!? Where do you find these deals? Even a used MMV goes for around $800. :cry:

• Members

Neil's point is good (and I thought the same thing but didn't want to bring it up). I'm not familiar with a house branded D28, but yours should say D28xxxx something on the decal inside and stamped in the headblock. If it is a different model it might possibly have an MT which can open up (they are basically a glued bolt on) - your tech should be able to tell if the bolt has loosened any.

Anyway, it is still a heck of a deal and should be a great guitar.

I thought so. IMO they put any HD-28 hanging in a GC to shame. I think it may be a conspiracy though!
:freak:

That's what my friend thought when he was initially bought this one. He was looking for a Martin D-28 and this one just sounded much better to his ears.

• Members

I don't think it would be a big problem for you to just pay your friend $500 cash... and then just use him as the "owner" later if you ever want any warrantee work done by Martin.

How's Martin going to know you gave him $500 and that you are using it?

I don't think it would be a big problem for you to just pay your friend $500 cash... and then just use him as the "owner" later if you ever want any warrantee work done by Martin.

How's Martin going to know you gave him $500 and that you are using it?

It wouldn't be a problem. He's cool like that! :cool:

Archived