Good Rickenbacker Alts

xrleroyx

• Members

Not saying that they aren't out there, but I have personally never played a guitar that was similar to a Ric. They have the neck thru feel and laquered fret board thing going on. It seems that the Ric is one guitar that hasn't really been cloned.

• Members

if you stop at sound, then get a Danelectro. the DC-59 and 56-U2 really sound great and can get close to the Ric sound for cheap. feel is a completely different story. i've never played another guitar that feels like my Ric 330. most manufacturers won't make a guitar with such a narrow fretboard. and when they do, it's usually attached to a laminate body. i do think that much of the Ric feel comes from the carved body and solid back (not top, Ric attaches the back to the guitar). it just has a different response than a laminate, like a Gibson ES-330.

• Members

Telecaster will get you close; some of the earliest REM recordings were actually at Tele, as was most of the Smiths' first album. A '69 Thinline gets even closer, I think, thanks to the carved hollow body. However, I did play a Ric 330 over Christmas break...its sound is somewhere between the twang of my Tele and the growl of my Riviera.

• Members

DV020_Jpg_Jumbo_481891.023_metallic_blac

Sure, it won't sound anything like a Ric but it looks nice next to one:

800px-TheBanglesLiveinSydney2010.jpg

I really can't imagine having anything but a 350SH if I wanted anything Rick-y.

ric350sh.jpg

It's also super expensive.
:(

I'd play with either or both of those....or all three...:eek:

• Members

Telecaster will get you close; some of the earliest REM recordings were actually at Tele, as was most of the Smiths' first album. A '69 Thinline gets even closer, I think, thanks to the carved hollow body. However, I did play a Ric 330 over Christmas break...its sound is somewhere between the twang of my Tele and the growl of my Riviera.

This is true - I have a Squier VM Thinline Tele (the one with the 24.75" scale length) and a Rick 620 and there is a tremendous amount of overlap in their tones. The Tele can go further into ice-pick land and the Ric is a little fuller sounding (even though it has lower output - go figure), but I find them almost interchangeable for what I'm doing these days, which is mostly a lot of jangly pop like REM and the Lemonheads. You should check out the Squier - I'm constantly amazed at that guitar - great value and a very fun guitar to play.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I use a Burns Double Six (which has a much friendlier fret board width than a Rick) with a Janglebox, it dose all the McGuinn and Byrds, Harrison, early Townshend stuff etc with ease.

Have a listen here to Chimes of Freedom (Byrds) played on an Ibanez solid 12, it will give you some idea of just what this box is capable of.

http://www.janglebox.com/jangle_clips.htm

Enjoy

Cheers

J_N.

• Members

If you're looking for a 6 string Rick copy then try and find a Tokai RG43 (with a glued neck, some were bolt on), I had one for years and I now have 3 Ricks and the Tokai was as good if not better and it had toaster pickups that were around 7.2k Ohms, the modern Rick P/U's are much hotter unless you spend the cash and upgrade to the scatter wound reissue Toasters.

If you are looking for an old Rick 1960's sound then you need to use Tape Wound strings, not the Rick Compressed wound or ground strings it must be Tape wound, and with low output pickups.

Cheers

J_N.

• Members

If there's one thing Rickenbacker hates, it's Rickenbacker copies. They force ebay sellers trying to sell old Greco copies or whatever to take them down.

Try looking on the Rickenbacker Forum, John Hall is totally paranoid about Rick copies and its a lot of the Fanboy members that grass up people who try and sell a Tokai, Greco and the original Rick copy Shaftsbury and there is a make (from Canada I think) Dillion and others and most are good guitars but the Rick Forum spies are everywhere and it's hard to sell one without interference from Rickenbacker.

I own 3 Rickenbacker guitars (2 going up for sale soon) and because I don't live in the USA I can't buy Rick spares from any US dealer as Rickenbacker will only let them sell to the domestic USA market, anyone caught selling outside the US will have their dealership taken off them... I mean, just how petty and puerile is that. I own Genuine Rickenbacker guitars and can't even buy Rick strings and spares from a US dealer 'cause I live in New Zealand.... pathetic.

And if that wasn't enough you can't (or couldn't) mention the word Janglebox in a post or the word Janglebox was deleted from your post, just because Roger McGuinn collaborated with Steve Lasko to get the sound right and Roger now endorses and uses a Janglebox and that got right up John Halls nose.... even more pathetic.

OK, Rick whinge over.

Cheers

J_N.

• Members

This was a PM from the man himself, sent to someone on another forum about why he hates people selling Rick copies. Take it for what its worth and make your own mind up about it......

Let me put it in terms closer to home- what if I recorded one of the songs

you wrote and sold it for my profit? Would that be right and would it make

you happy? And what about the guy that buys that music- especially if he

knows I stole it, isn't he thumbing his nose at you?

You write songs, I make guitars; you have the absolute exclusive rights to

your creations and I have the exclusive rights to mine. If we didn't have

that right, we wouldn't bother to create.

Cheers,

John Hall

Chief Executive Officer

Rickenbacker Int'l Corp.

3895 S. Main Street

Santa Ana, CA. 92707

Cheers

J_N.

Archived