No announcement yet.

Home made Les Paul

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome! Subscribed
    "I feel kind of sorry for the guys who know so much about playing. I pick it up, put my finger in the wrong place and - ah, a song!"~ Keith RichardsHow to disagree

Comment

Coming along nicely!
      Since Dylan went electric, man things just ain't been the same; now DJs are making records, could you please just be ashamed? -- Two Cow Garage

Yes, I can actually play: Falstaff

Comment

Wow...very impressive. Thank you for sharing your work with us.
        Originally Posted by caveman

I'll bend over backwards to make things work but I'll be damned if I'll bend over forwards.

Digital Me

Comment

Very nice! You do not disappoint in the pic department.

Comment

Awesome! Or as they say in New York, "What're you lookin' at?"
            Hold mah beer an' watch this!

Comment

That looked like a scary cut. I'm at the same stage and debating wether or not to use templates or just throw caution to the wind and do it free hand.

I also commend you on planing the neck angle by hand.
              http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...nother-guitar.

Comment

That looked like a scary cut. I'm at the same stage and debating wether or not to use templates or just throw caution to the wind and do it free hand.

I've got a carve top going & am making templates so I can do it freehand & monitor where I'm at at all times.
                don;t always remember this so...best to all!
                education...how ya gonna know what to do...'less ya know what to do
                people will not always believe what you say
                but they have no choice but to believe what you do
                studied as a science...practiced as an art

my build threads:

archtop #1 mahogany/maccasar ebony
                archtop #2 maple/brazilian ebony
                GreatDanes blacktop Les Paul
                purpleheart/maple neck-through

Comment

In the archives at MIMF there is a set of "contours" taken off an actual Les Paul ( think I have the file and could e-mail it). It is a little crude but would be helpful if you wanted to duplicate the exact LP curvature. However it would be a bitch to try to route to each of those lines - my system was pretty mickey mouse as you can see from the photos and I only routed two contours.

The other thing is that most plans have the cross sections of the body (and neck). Make a copy of the drawing (Kinkos), cut out each of the cross section (the outside portion) and glue it to a piece of wood. Cut this out on a bandsaw and you've got perfect body templates.

I say that, but I didn't do it. It was very easy to just work the three levels with my little planes and smooth it with 60 grit sand paper.

Of course you could alway build a router follower or a CNC or buy the top precarved - but think you would miss a lot of fun.

As far as planing the upper bout - you want a relatively flat surface as 4 degrees but it doesn't have to be perfect. You can see in one picture that I'm not quite parallel with the protractor, I'll keep planing until that is touching the whole length. The router template should be perfectly flat on top - that sets the bottom and sides of the neck pocket which is the reference for your tenon. The top will stand a few thou higher than the neck and after the neck is glued in place I'll bring it down flat - that insures that there is no drop off like you often see on acoustics. I glued the fretboard on the neck after the neck was set - I know many people glue it on before but that would make working in this area a lot more difficult. The final shaping of the upper bout was done after the neck was in place. You'll see all of this when I get there.

Comment

I've got a carve top going & am making templates so I can do it freehand & monitor where I'm at at all times.

I know that you have done this a lot more than I have, but I think that at least the recurve should be done with a router. You want it exactly the same depth all the way around - both for symetry and because your binding needs to cover the join. Either routing from the top or with a table would work as long as you make some kind of follower that rides on the side. The recurve is approximately 1 inch or a little less and appears to be flat.

As I said above, the SM plans have cross sections down the center line and three across the body - it would be very easy to make templates (and in retrospect I should have)

Comment

I had a nice piece of mahogany neck material and some veneers that I thought might look good on the headstock. I don't like hand mitering fretboards - if you get one fret off by even a few thousands it can't be used. Besides, this is a weird radius that I didn't have a sanding block for, so I bought a fretboard from StewMac along with one of their double acting "hot rod" truss rods.

I like a scarfed headstock joint - it is strong and saves wood

and a stacked heel block

Once the neck blank is glued up there are a couple of operations that have to be done while it still has parallel square sides. Routing the truss rod channel is one (the blue tape is to tell me when to stop - that marks the end of the channel)

One thing I really like about the hot rod truss rod is the small size of the adjuster, that means a minimum cavity needs to be routed - as you all know this is a weak area on Gibsons

The other thing that needs to be done with parallel sides is cut the tenon. It can be roughed on the band saw, leaving it just a hair oversized. At this time the neck heel is also marked at 86 degrees to match the top.

Cut with my Gents saw

and the band saw. I cleaned it up with chisels to fit the pocket.

Comment

Lets finish roughing the neck tonight. I've made all the parallel cuts on the band saw so I can now start with angles and curves. First the waste on the side of the neck (leaving the headstock full width)

The basic method of making a curved neck is a lot of flat facets. Starting at the head and heel

You make flat cuts with planes and spokeshaves

The another flat cut

Until you can start rounding it off

I undercut the sides of the neck heel and do a little "flossing" to fit it to the body

Cut out the basic headstock shape (I made a router template but apparently didn't take any pictures). Anyway, here is the rougly shaped neck and body - starting to look a bit like a guitar

Comment

Sweet. You make this look easy but that is a lot of work great job so far
                          Member of the Mazi Bee Militia
                          Current Guitar Gear - 03 Gibson Les Paul Classic, 03 Highway One Strat, 92 Gibson AJ, 2001 Martin 000-16GT
                          Amps - '60 Ampeg Mercury M12, Marshall Class 5, '73 Vibro Champ, Fender Custom Vibrolux Reverb
                          FX - Fulltone OCD Version 2, Line 6 Pod HD400, EH Holy Grail Plus, Fulltone Fat Boost FB-2, Dunlop Wah

Comment

Lovely!
                            Besides being a guitar player,
                            I'm a big fan of the guitar.
                            I love that damn instrument.
                            -Steve Vai

Comment

A-Mazing!
                              Gibson DC Standard Lite / Charvel TX Custom / Yamaha FGX730SCA / XT Live / Blackstar HT 20

Good Deals with: thedeadhorse, ChrisTheAsian, Wolfbane20, Scotty66, GringoLoco, Monochocke and a few others

Comment

Holy crap. Awesomeness. PLEASE continue. If you end up building your own tube amp from scratch after this, though, I'm going to have to sell all my tools and take up macrame or something. Not that there is anything wrong with macrame.

You are one hell of a brave man taking that hot piece of hog to your belt sander. I have a similar belt sander in my little man cave. Very useful, but also a treacherous little bastard that doesn't care much for symmetry unless it is being watched very carefully. Also, it has a hell of an appetite for my thumbs.
                                I guess I kinda lost control, because in the middle of the play I ran up and lit the evil puppet villain on fire. No, I didn't. Just kidding. I just said that to help illustrate one of the human emotions, which is freaking out. Another emotion is greed, as when you kill someone for money, or something like that. Another emotion is generosity, as when you pay someone double what he paid for his stupid puppet.I.K.F.C.E.S.C.Potato SocietySAWG

Comment

Working...
                                X