No announcement yet.

Home made Les Paul

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCORE!
    What 'cha all think - will this give me the vintage bluesy sound that I think I want?

I think that amp is awesome. Even seems to match the finish on the guitar.

Very nice choice.
    Information is not knowledge
    Knowledge is not wisdom
    Wisdom is not truth
    Truth is not beauty
    Beauty is not love
    Love is not music.
    Music Is The Best.

- Frank Zappa

Comment

• Nice Choice Freeman. That should be a fun little amp. I use a few amps with my les paul - a Marshall Class 5 for quiet(er) natural breakup, a Fender Champ 12 for quiet cleans and a 1960 Ampeg Mercury M12 for the loud cleans and dirt (jumping the two channels together on it).
      Member of the Mazi Bee Militia
      Current Guitar Gear - 03 Gibson Les Paul Classic, 03 Highway One Strat, 92 Gibson AJ, 2001 Martin 000-16GT
      Amps - '60 Ampeg Mercury M12, Marshall Class 5, '73 Vibro Champ, Fender Custom Vibrolux Reverb
      FX - Fulltone OCD Version 2, Line 6 Pod HD400, EH Holy Grail Plus, Fulltone Fat Boost FB-2, Dunlop Wah

Comment

• Great score! The amp is a perfect companion for this great guitar.

Have you thought about shielding the cavities? I've used copper tape to make a big difference in noise on a couple of guitars. There's a paint too.

Comment

• Nice score on the amp! What kind of tubes does it take? I know, I could look it up myself . . . but I'm too lazy.

The guitar is looking nice well. Keep the updates coming. I can't wait to see what the finished product looks like!
          Guitars: Seagull S6+CW, Epiphone LP Standard, Ovation CU247, Gretsch G5120, Seagull S12 (w/ JJB Prestige 330), Martin GPCPA3 Mandolins: Mid-Missouri M-2, WWII-era Octave MandolinAmps: Fender Princeton Chorus, Marshall AVT50H/AVT412, Crate VC120HEffects: EBow > AKG Wireless > Boss TU-2 > Boss PH-3 > EHX Doctor Q > Dunlop 535 Wah > Boss OS-2 > Boss EQ-20 > Boss CH-1 > Boss NS-2 > Boss RV-3
          LHGCC Participant ~ Jimmy Caper

Comment

• Nice score on the amp! What kind of tubes does it take? I know, I could look it up myself . . . but I'm too lazy.

The guitar is looking nice well. Keep the updates coming. I can't wait to see what the finished product looks like!

Five 12AX7's in the preamps stages, a pair of 6V6's in the output. 15 watts of class A. Should be good enough for what I want to do.

I'm getting impatient too..

Comment

• Five 12AX7's in the preamps stages, a pair of 6V6's in the output. 15 watts of class A. Should be good enough for what I want to do.

I'm getting impatient too..

Well, finish the damn thing then.

Comment

• I'm really impatient. If I had any sense I would hang this up for 3 or 4 weeks and let the finish cure, but I'm having trouble waiting that long I know all of you folks would do the right thing and wait...... But I can't

So, lets gently buff this thing out and see what happens. First we sand it with 800, 1200 and 1500 and water - the idea is that each grit will remove the sanding scratches left by the previous.

Its smooth but dull

Next two levels of polishing compound - I use StewMac's since it is designed for guitar finishes.

and an inexpensive Grizzley wheel.

Here is the top

and back, I'm going over it with a swirl remover

The finish is soft and I don't want to damage it so I'm going to stop here, put it together, then in a month or so take it all apart and really buff it good.

Told ya I couldn't wait

Comment

• sweet....this thing is going to be gorgeous when your done.

Comment

• Even if I had the skills for this I would not have the patience.

To play something you personally built from scratch must be a bit special. Yes I am jealous.
                    “One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching”
                    Gerard Way

Comment

• Crap! We have to wait a month?! What to do....what to do.....
                      WTB: Hamer Phantom GT!! PM Me.....

Buy Jackson Guitars!!!

Comment

• Been following this thread since the beginning and I must say, very impressive work. I love the color.. that is the icing on the cake. I only wish I could do something like that with even a fraction of the quality. Unfortunately, I was blessed with no mechanical ability whatsoever. I can barely screw a light bulb in.
                        Good trader/seller: Woody_in_MN, GibsonQC, m90guy, maltomario, drmojoxl, RockinIt, souperman08, Hand Amputation, D-log

Comment

• This is turning out VERY well. Nice amp also. HNAD.
                          dharmaforone.bandcamp.comListen to my music and such.Strat - Jazzmaster - Bunch of fuzz and delay pedals - map.

Comment

• Crap! We have to wait a month?! What to do....what to do.....

No, if I was good and patient we would have to wait. But I'm not. Stay tuned.

I've just got to say thanks to everyone who has been so wonderful about this. I appreciate your comments and compliments very much - both the build and this thread have turned out to be more rewarding that I ever would have thought.

Comment

• No, if I was good and patient we would have to wait. But I'm not. Stay tuned.

I've just got to say thanks to everyone who has been so wonderful about this. I appreciate your comments and compliments very much - both the build and this thread have turned out to be more rewarding that I ever would have thought.

Oh, good. A month of drool is a lot to clean off my keyboard.
                              Hold mah beer an' watch this!

Comment

• No, if I was good and patient we would have to wait. But I'm not. Stay tuned.

Does that mean that you're going to build a LP for every one of us who supported you in the process? Come on! PLEASE?
                                - Gibson ES-335
                                - Gibson Hummingbird
                                - Fender Strat MIM
                                - Ovation Tangent & Tangent Bass
                                - Vox AC15C1 - British Racing Green

F-Holes

Originally Posted by GreatDane

the player plays, but the instrument should inspire.

Comment

Working...
                                X