Winter you say? Must be time for a US road trip

steve mac

• Members

So with long suffering missus in tow, we are abandoning the blue skies and sunshine at home for the cold and damp. (We got the looks not the brains 🙂).

We will be in New York City this Tuesday for a few days, so she who must be obeyed can try to bankrupt us and then flying into Nashville for Christmas. After that it's the usual pick up a 4x4 and go where the mood takes us ending up a few weeks later back in NY to fly out. Maybe going up the east coast or west and up through Ohio, Missouri or well who knows.

As always we are looking for recommendations of small venues that have live music anywhere near our route. Best of all if any Harmony Central members are playing it would be great to go and watch and have a drink with you. We are very polite and will not heckle too much 😀.

Any and all advice gratefully received. Much love to everyone for the holidays.

• Members

the only gig i have on the books right now is floridas regional burning man event, love burn... jan 26-28 on virginia key, south of miami beach... probably some tallahassee gigs to be had in the meantime but all of this is way far south of your schedule of events

• Members

most festivals in winter here are in the south... miami forcast for that week is in the 80s during the day, 70’s at night... winter in florida... brrrrrrrrrr.....

i know, its terrible... middle of winter, the end of december, on the beach of a tropical island for a week... i’ll be ok...

• Moderators

If you are in NYC, get into the subway, take the 'E' train to 71st/Continental, walk 2 blocks south, go under the rail overpass and you are in what you will recognize as looking for all the world like jolly olde England...where I grew up :wave:

I've been out of NYC for so long I doubt any of the venues are still there...of course, the West Side Tennis Stadium where the Who played is still there, just turn right when you go under that rail overpass and walk another block....:music001:

Of course you are always welcome here, but you've been here before...but I'll do ribs if you show up! :wave:

• Members

I had a buddy who was in NY NY a few months ago. Said he really enjoyed Smalls Jazz Club. A funky place with (apparently) reasonable cover and great music. Although I haven't been in New York since I was a kid, I've even heard of Smalls. Other friends have also visited The Village Vanguard and Birdland, but they might be much pricier. Sorry, no non Jazz suggestions.

Another trick in a big city is to google a musician you like that lives in the area. They often have odd little house gigs they do when not on tour.

Archived