Is it possible to edit an MP3?

• Members

To all you Recording Boffins....

Is it possible to edit an MP3? I have an MP3 of a song that I love that has a long intro on it and I want to remove the intro...

Don't forget, I'm low-tech!

Bruce Swedien

p.s. I guess I could transfer the MP3 to tape and then edit the tape. I know how to do that!

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Members

Audacity is a free audio recording program that you can download and install. Once it's in there you can import an mp3 and trim the intro as well as build a fade in.

If you can't hook up with Boosh and can get the mp3 posted somwhere I can get to it I'll be happy to do the deed. Won't take long at all.

• Members

Bruce, you're on Mac, right? Pretty much any digital audio editor can take an MP3 and let you work with it like a regular file. On Windows, Adobe Audition, Wavelab, and Sound Forge all do it. I assume BIAS Peak can -- I'd check it out, but my Mac isn't going to be set up until the studio is more together.

• Members

hey hey there Brice!

hey man you prolly would be better off getting the original recording or WAV file and cutting the intro off that by one of the programs mentioned THEN convert into an mp3 with that same program. you want a wavelab type of thang where you can take the file and STRETCH it and cut and paste at the exact point

then shrink it back down. much easier and quicker than any tape spliceing attempt.

I cut up MOTHERSDAY to pieces and back again and and I finde it difficult to tell exactly where i joined and spliced because of the exactness achieved by being able to enlarge the wave file to a rediculously large size.

I wa able to match up the wave forms in some spots.

but not in othre spots. OY!.. . ahahaha!

QUERY.

is it possible you may get too much degradation of signal resulting in a poor recording by converting an mp3 to wav. file and then back to MP3?

NO MUSS NO FUSS

A foreigner from faraway wished for me to send him my mp3'd files and he would re-mix some stuff I butcher'd ahahaha! OY.

I was gonne send him mp3 files over the web but I will send WAV. files through the post instead

Here's why.. . I believe there is more info/data in a wav file and he may have a better MP3 converter than me as well

you can work a wav file then convert to mp3 and its No muss no fuss! ahahaha!.

so if I sent him MP3 files would there be less data to work with and would the incidence of ARTIFACTS increase?.

• Members

Hi Brucie!

I open the MP3 as a .wav or .aif file in the editor, do my editing, save as .wav or .aif and then reconvert to MP3.

I could save it as an MP3 but the 're-convert' gives me more choices of higher bitrate.

That is the best way I know of.

Not hard at all!

Cheers,

Bro. Bill

• Members
Originally posted by Anderton

Pretty much any digital audio editor can take an MP3 and let you work with it

That's the ticket.As soon as you open it up in an Audio Editor or Pro Tools it's then a .wav(or .aiff/.SD2) file and can be treated as such.You can then save the results as anything you want or re-encode it.Chids play.

• Members

I love this forum!!!!

Thanks for your help... You folks are the greatest!

Someone found a piece of music I was looking for on a server as an Mp3 and emailed it to me. BUT - the quality was awful!

I took the cowardly way out. I found the piece of music I was looking for on Oldies.com and ordered the CD. I'll put it in Pro-Stools and I can edit it there...

Thanks again folks!!!

Brucie the Vikiing!!!!

:love::love::love::love::love::love:

• Members

Actually the world needs an MP3 editor.

It's not acceptable to convert to PCM, edit and then convert back to MP3. Double encoding creates more distortion.

Most people who want to edit won't have access to the source audio.

MP3 file structure isn't that complicated. You can even play with them in regular ASCII editors (designed to edit binary files) and most of the time the saved file will play back. But it's hardly convenient.

• Members

For $44.95, you can get Amazing Slowdowner for OS X.

I bought it and I use this program all the time for transcriptions. It allows you to import and/or export mp3 files, and you can set loop points, change the start and or end points, slow down or speed up, etc.

Amazing slow downer will definitely allow you to import the mp3 and output an mp3 that just has the start point changed (to skip the intro). Whether the software converts to another format in between, I can't say. However, I'll say that I can't notice any degradation when I do this task.

Here's a link to the site:

http://www.ronimusic.com/

• Members

Originally posted by tunanator

Actually the world needs an MP3 editor.

It's not acceptable to convert to PCM, edit and then convert back to MP3. Double encoding creates more distortion.

Most people who want to edit won't have access to the source audio.

MP3 file structure isn't that complicated. You can even play with them in regular ASCII editors (designed to edit binary files) and most of the time the saved file will play back. But it's hardly convenient.

There are some open source projects in this area. Most are aimed at cutting video in MPEG formats. google mp3 frame editor and you will find a few more.

This project has been around for a while:

http://mpgtx.sourceforge.net/

Video files are cut in GOPs, Groups of Pictures. This might not be granular enough for audio. I hate mp3 files that have been converted to WAV and reencoded to mp3.

• Members

Originally posted by amplayer

For $44.95, you can get Amazing Slowdowner for OS X.

I bought it and I use this program all the time for transcriptions. It allows you to import and/or export mp3 files, and you can set loop points, change the start and or end points, slow down or speed up, etc.

Amazing slow downer will definitely allow you to import the mp3 and output an mp3 that just has the start point changed (to skip the intro). Whether the software converts to another format in between, I can't say. However, I'll say that I can't notice any degradation when I do this task.

Here's a link to the site:

I use ASD myself Amp. I like it.

• Members

Originally posted by where02190

IT has one, and it's free. It's called iTunes. You can edit the start and stop times on an MP3, and then simply export the MP3. Presto, edited MP3.

Dohh! I am ashamed I didn't think of iTunes. Good call where.

Archived