International Traveler...

Well, here I am just about hitting the road again. I was a home for 10 days after a 3 weeks trip, and then I'm leaving again for another 3 weeks. That is the best way for keeping single!

What encouraged me to write this, is the fact that I have had to be completely aware of the international news prior to flying.

* After 9/11 all the rules for getting into a plane changed, for first, worldwide.

* Two years ago, there was a take over of government on Ecuador, 1 day prior to my visit.

* Three years ago, I had to cancel my trip -and I was already in Brasil, in the middle of the tour- to Bolivia because they were having a serious borderline problems with Chile and they just closed their frontiers, denying access to foreigners. It sucked big time.

* Last year, one day prior to my arrival, there was a serious shooting at the president's office in La Paz, bolivia. Our distributors office is half block from that place.

... and today, I'm reading all news I can and making phone calls to be informed about what is going on in Venezuela, where Radio Caracas Television (RCTV) was shut down because a government's order of cancelling their broadcast license.

... But yes, that is the way on my beloved Latin America.

Do any of you have been catched in the middle of something similar while traveling?

• Members

Do any of you have been catched in the middle of something similar while traveling?

Nope , But I was held and bodysearched once when I tried to take a plane from Amsterdam to Venezuela.

Searched for drugs ahahahahaha,... there's not an asshole in this world that tries to take drugs from Amsterdam to Venezuela but they picked me out of the line.....??

Yeah right,... the first Moron to try to bring cocaine to south America,....

• Members

I was in India during the 50th Anniversary of their Independence, with fireworks and dancing and singing. Part of this time, I was in Kashmir, where there was NO celebrating whatsoever, just stores shutting down for the day.

I was in Hong Kong during the handover from Britain to China, with fireworks going off and people hanging out in the streets.

I was followed by the Burmese military in Yangon (Rangoon) for two days just before I left because I met with Aung San Suu Kyi, the leader for the democracy movement in Burma, and a Nobel Peace Prize Winner. I was scared {censored}less.

I was in Morocco in 1999 when the king died, and the street flowed with people chanting his name, singing songs, raising banners of his image, and expressing the emotions of losing their leader in a very uniquely North African way, where the streets suddenly surge like a river of humanity.

I've been stopped at roadblocks in Kashmir for searches, where I witnessed the Indian military striking defenseless Kashmiri farmers over the head repeatedly with sticks or shooing them away like they were cattle.

I've been stopped by giant crowds celebrating the Dalai Lama's birthday in Ladakh (in the Himalayas)...we of course joined them and went to their giant picnic filled with tens of thousands of people playing music and dancing and eating...and eating...and eating...

• 6 years later...
  • Members

We were stopped once (as were a few other cars) by military men in the Yucatan...... they said something to me in Spanish, my girlfriend said she thought they wanted to know where we were going. I blurted out Chichen Itza and they looked bored and let us go. Lots of machine guns though. I leave for Russia soon and I hope that is going to be okay. Made it to Greece last year and they demonstrated 2 days while I was there. One of the days I was in Athens and if you were away from Syntagma Square you barely knew anything was going on. About a week later they were planning another demonstration and we heard they may close some of the historic sites. We were planning on Mycenae and it did open....but most tourists stayed away and we pretty much had the place to ourselves. So far.... so good!

• Members

For all the traveling I do, I've never been caught in that kind of an international issue. Argentina was a little creepy during the years when they "disappeared" people, but I didn't feel like I was in any personal danger.

The closest I ever came to civil unrest was when I was doing a seminar in Montreal, the whole Quebec separatist thing was going on, and there were demonstrations in the street...I couldn't get to my hotel, and they had to drive around and put me up somewhere else. But, it was Canada! Demonstrators ask for your permission to block your car, and then they say "excuse me" and look like they feel all guilty about inconveniencing you. :)

I guess the time a bunch of skinheads came after me in England counts for the something, or the guy with the broken bottle in Boston who said he was going to "cut my face good," but those weren't civil unrest...just usual street crime morons. Fortunately, God is merciful because He made sure drunks can't run as fast as people who aren't drunk.

Now, airplanes...that's a whole other thing. I have plenty of airplane horror stories. There's nothing quite like a foam-covered runway to add a little excitement to the landing process.

Archived