Fishman Neo-D single or Fishman Neo-D Humbucking ?

Misha

• Members

Hi!

I finally got a soundhole pickup! Actually two. I got the Fishman Neo-D single coil yesterday and then read about the Neo-D Humbucking. Result: I stopped at the music shop on my way home tonight and now I have both.

I'll probably keep only one unless I decide to keep the Neo-D Single for my little S&P Ami Parlor! (The other one is for my Larrivee OM-03).

I didn't not try any yet! I don't know how my THR-10 sounds with an acoustic guitar. Since it's just for fun, it should be fine, I guess.

I also got a Art Tube MP Studio V3. Another toy to try! A part of me wants to try everything, the other part tells me to go to sleep because I worked all day even if I was supposed to be off and I'm tired!

I don't know which part is gonna win yet... but what do you think about the new gears? Did I do ok?

• Members

No experience with either but I will be very interested in YOUR reaction since I occasionally get calls for sound hole mag pickups. In fact I have a Weissenborn right now that really needs one. I happen to like humbuckers in electric guitars but that's a different animal. Let us know what you think - better yet, post some clips

• Members

In the reviews, people say it sounds like an acoustic though it is a humbucker!

I will install it and tell you what I hear! I won't record anything tonight because I can't play very loud - I still have neighbors all around me - but I'll try to record something soon!

• Members
Given your issues with P90s in your Godin (http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...th-p90-pickups) I'd suggest the humbucking version.

Probably a good idea! The P90s don't like my fridge! It's under control now, though! I really love this guitar!

I should go to bed but my little setup is fun tonight! (Even if I forgot to buy new strings!)

• Members

I hard-wired a Neo-D into a Walden some years back. The idea of taking it off and putting it on and dealing with the cord wasn't my idea of tidy so it went in permanently. I liked it well enough but remember that mag pups are not giving you the true sound of your guitar. They can't. They're strictly magnetic. Some acoustic enhancements have been touted to give a representation of your guitar but that means they put acoustic guitar modeler circuits in them. But, you get what you pay for and mag pups are not going to deliver microphone-like performance. They only sense metal strings cutting across magnetic flux fields in the same manner as they do with an electric guitar, not the frequencies emanating from your soundboard. Still, they sound good enough to the undiscerning audience.

• Members

I tried it both and it sounded good to me. There's a difference between the single coil and the humbucker. The single coil seems to be more punchy, you know, a bit like a Strat!

The humbucker is silent though! Really noiseless. It's more bassy. It's obvious that to get both to sound similar, you need to tweak the amp's EQ.

Both sound good when fingerpicking. For now, the humbucker wins because it's noiseless.

Don't forget that I don't have a dedicated acoustic amp, I use my Yamaha THR-10 but there's an acoustic setting on it. There's also a flat setting that sounds fine..

I should be able to try it more during the weekend. When I get back from work, it's already late and I'm afraid to disturb the neighbors around me if I play too loud.

For the price, it seems nice!

Of course, there are more expensive pickups on the market but I don't want to spend too much! I always end up spendig more than I wanted because I'm picky about sound but at the same time, I know that I would sound much better with this pickup and a lot of practice, maybe lessons, than with an expensive pickup, no lessons and all my time spent shoping for an expensive pickup!

• Members
I hard-wired a Neo-D into a Walden some years back. The idea of taking it off and putting it on and dealing with the cord wasn't my idea of tidy so it went in permanently. I liked it well enough but remember that mag pups are not giving you the true sound of your guitar. They can't. They're strictly magnetic. Some acoustic enhancements have been touted to give a representation of your guitar but that means they put acoustic guitar modeler circuits in them. But' date=' you get what you pay for and mag pups are not going to deliver microphone-like performance. They only sense metal strings cutting across magnetic flux fields in the same manner as they do with an electric guitar, not the frequencies emanating from your soundboard. Still, they sound good enough to the undiscerning audience.[/quote']

I listened to a couple of clips on Youtube and I agree, microphones sound best, most of the time. At my place, I would probably hear- at least partially - the fridge, climatizer, the cats meowing, cars on the street, etc, with a microphone, though.

Systems that blend a condenser mic and a magnetic pickup are another option, but more expensive. My Larrivee plays very well. Maybe it's worth a good system!? Or I could get a cheaper electro-acoustic but then I would probably miss the playability of the Larrivee. At least for now, the pickup is practical because it allows me to use my acoustic with a looper pedal. (I have a Ditto Looper.)

Well, I'm still evaluating my options! Maybe a better amp (The THR-10 is very good for electric guitar. I don't know how it is rated for acoustic, the speakers are very small,) would make it sound just fine to me! I'm not sure yet!

Have a good evening!

• Members

You're not preventing the addition of a piezo/internal mic later so I think this is a good step.

When I installed mine I actually drilled a second output jack hole in my guitar so I could route them separately. Nothing says "WTF am I doing?" like drilling a big hole in master grade rosewood. :) I don't regret it though, the versatility is great.

• Members

Well,

I finally kept the Humbucker (Neo-D Humbucking), exchanged the Neo-D Single and the Art Tube MP Studio V3 for a Yamaha THR5A.

I'm trying this new setup right now. I need to install the sotware for the THR5A, I think. :-)

Archived