Audio Interface -OT sort of

recordingtrack1

• Members

I have struggled with my M-Audio Delta AP 192 audio for a couple of years now. The last drivers were written for it in 2012. I'm getting more and more pops and crackles every time I use it. I am losing this battle and have finally decided it is time to surrender. It seems like they could just write new drivers for it...... but NO! Planned Obsolescence, perfect example.

Anyway, I have been wracking my brain trying to find a nice audio interface, probably USB 2.0, that can record at 96k/24bit, that won't break the bank. It got me wondering what some of you guys are using for audio reproduction. Any suggestions?

I realize this question is OT, but then again, it's how we record our guitars......right?

• Members

Sick of workarounds and hoping to future-proof my setup, I sprung for an RME Babyface. I haven't recorded very much with it yet, but damn is it painless to use. My Firebox was on it's last gimpy leg and nothing else looked worth messing with. I've had two M-Audio rigs and two by Presonus. They were okay, but it felt like the time for me to get a pro-sumer interface.

I saw the RME on Craigslist and read a lot of reviews. Alternates like the Apogee Duet would've shackled me to the Mac, and after my weekend with the Focusrite 2i2 drivers, I wasn't going to touch the Forte. So I spung and I'm thrilled. The Babyface is rock solid*, easy to use, and it sounds gorgeous!

*My throughput latency went from just over 11ms to 4ms.

• Members
Sick of workarounds and hoping to future-proof my setup, I sprung for an RME Babyface. I haven't recorded very much with it yet, but damn is it painless to use. My Firebox was on it's last gimpy leg and nothing else looked worth messing with. I've had two M-Audio rigs and two by Presonus. They were okay, but it felt like the time for me to get a pro-sumer interface.

I saw the RME on Craigslist and read a lot of reviews. Alternates like the Apogee Duet would've shackled me to the Mac, and after my weekend with the Focusrite 2i2 drivers, I wasn't going to touch the Forte. So I spung and I'm thrilled. The Babyface is rock solid*, easy to use, and it sounds gorgeous!

*My throughput latency went from just over 11ms to 4ms.

I'm glad you posted this as I was about to pop for a Focusrite 2i4. I hate to spend too much but maybe I need to dig a little deeper in my pocket. I need MIDI I/O for sure as part of whatever I buy. 4ms sounds magnificent!

• Members

we have now a focusrite saffire 40 in our rehearsal room, yes its firewire so not what yu are looking for. i just wanted to state that we are pretty happy with it and all the options. yep it take some time to understand how it all works and the firewire in the beginning was a pain the a...

so i would not generally say focusrite sucks

• Members

I'm glad this topic came up. I've been looking for a USB interface to allow me to use my Studio Projects C1 again instead of my Zoom H2. The latter sounds like I'm recording inside a drum as it picks up way too much ambient noise, as if the rear facing small condenser mics are never truly turned off. It would be slightly less portable but I'd be using it on my laptop anyway.

I DON'T want to spend a ton of money though. I just want something that gets rid of that ambient hiss that I used to get through my old Behringer mixer. Low latency would be great but if it drives the price up I can work around it. So far I was looking at the Planet Waves widget looking thing but it just screams "you get what you pay for" all over it and looked more like a sex toy than an audio interface. Speaking of which, I was thinking around $100 - which is what the PW widget was.

• Members
I'm glad this topic came up. I've been looking for a USB interface to allow me to use my Studio Projects C1 again instead of my Zoom H2. The latter sounds like I'm recording inside a drum as it picks up way too much ambient noise, as if the rear facing small condenser mics are never truly turned off. It would be slightly less portable but I'd be using it on my laptop anyway.

I DON'T want to spend a ton of money though. I just want something that gets rid of that ambient hiss that I used to get through my old Behringer mixer. Low latency would be great but if it drives the price up I can work around it. So far I was looking at the Planet Waves widget looking thing but it just screams "you get what you pay for" all over it and looked more like a sex toy than an audio interface. Speaking of which, I was thinking around $100 - which is what the PW widget was.

I get the thing about sounding like you are recording inside a drum. I have a Tascam DP-008 recorder. It is only 16bit (first mistake), but when I use the onboard mics, it sounds hollow--no matter what I do. I can't seem to get rid of that. It's funny that I have to use my mixer and regular condenser mics to get a passable sound out of it. Kind of defeats the purpose of the "portable" aspect, which is what I bought it for in the first place, LOL.

I'm starting to like the idea of a Roland Quad-Capture, but it's a little above what I wanted to pay. I like most of the reviews I read on it. Still have not totally ruled out the Focusrite 2i4, but reading way too many short life-cycle reviews on Focusrite stuff--including Misha's experience. Makes me fearful.

• Members
RME's stuff is really good. I just got a Fireface 802' date=' but I would expect that to be out of your price range. I had an Apogee Firewire Duet, which I am now trying to sell. Only works with Mac OS, though.[/quote']

I love the way you put that, LOL. Yes, us poor unfortunates who can't afford the good stuff will just have to make do with what Walmart has on sale......(just ribbing Glenn, I know you didn't mean it the way it sounded.)

I don't need all those inputs and don't really care for firewire, personally I built my computer with enough horsepower to handle anything I throw at it.( Intel Quadcore I5 processor, 2 SSDs and 32 Gig of RAM) I would keep my Delta 192 if I could get driver updates for it. It does a wonderful job and handles MIDI flawlessly. Potentially very low latency on my audio, it just pops and crackles no matter where I set the buffers If I wanted to pay 7 or 8 Benjamin's for an audio interface, I've been blessed enough to be able to do that. Realistically, I just don't have the need.

It wouldn't take much to write the drivers for it. Seriously! I've read a lot of complaints on various forums about this and other cards that are now obsolete.

• Members

I love the way you put that, LOL. Yes, us poor unfortunates who can't afford the good stuff will just have to make do with what Walmart has on sale......(just ribbing Glenn, I know you didn't mean it the way it sounded.)

I don't need all those inputs and don't really care for firewire, personally I built my computer with enough horsepower to handle anything I throw at it.( Intel Quadcore I5 processor, 2 SSDs and 32 Gig of RAM) I would keep my Delta 192 if I could get driver updates for it. It does a wonderful job and handles MIDI flawlessly. Potentially very low latency on my audio, it just pops and crackles no matter where I set the buffers If I wanted to pay 7 or 8 Benjamin's for an audio interface, I've been blessed enough to be able to do that. Realistically, I just don't have the need.

It wouldn't take much to write the drivers for it. Seriously! I've read a lot of complaints on various forums about this and other cards that are now obsolete.

No, I didn't mean it like that, lol. I spent a pile on this because I want it to be somewhat future-proof. I never expected to pay as much for an interface as I would for a 21" iMac. You might want to look at MOTU, or this:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/mackie_onyx_blackbird.htm

It definitely is a matter of getting what you pay for, like most things. And one thing I've learned over the last 17 years or so is that compromising and settling for things that aren't quite up to scratch and expectations just ends up costing more in the long run when the limitations of the cheap gear become a hindrance to the muse, rather than facilitating it and having to be replaced with what I should've bought in the first place.

Was that a run-on sentence? biggrin.gif

• Members

No, I didn't mean it like that, lol. I spent a pile on this because I want it to be somewhat future-proof. I never expected to pay as much for an interface as I would for a 21" iMac. You might want to look at MOTU, or this:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/mackie_onyx_blackbird.htm

It definitely is a matter of getting what you pay for, like most things. And one thing I've learned over the last 17 years or so is that compromising and settling for things that aren't quite up to scratch and expectations just ends up costing more in the long run when the limitations of the cheap gear become a hindrance to the muse, rather than facilitating it and having to be replaced with what I should've bought in the first place.

Was that a run-on sentence? biggrin.gif

Well said and not run on. I know exactly what you are saying. I'm digging deeper and trying to find that spot where I can justify the expense. There seems to be a price jump from cheap to expensive without a solid middle ground. I have looked at MOTU and like it. I also like the Roland stuff. Thanks for the blackbird suggestion. I will check it out.

• Members

When looking for a sound card a I've been recommended a Steinberg UR-22. (Out of stock at the time.)

I finally got a Native Instruments Komplete Audio-6 . More expensive but I had enough shoping for a sound card and spending fuel! I like it a lot! I really like it so far. No complain about it. It works perfectly! So, no regret!

A friend of mine showed me her Studio Projects B1 mic, today. We have to try it with my sound card to record someday!

• Members

I've been looking at those. I'm glad you like yours. From the video reviews I've seen it has a lot of bang for the buck.

I like it that it has two sets of audio outputs so you can run balanced and unbalanced outs to two different monitor sources at the same time. One of the best things is that it has extra line levels inserts on the back. That way I can run my mixer into it without having to plug and unplug. I can then run all my other stuff through my mixer and have up to twelve channels for input in addition to the dedicated inputs built in to the NI. Of course my Mackie isn't the quiet-ist mixer I've ever seen but it ain't too bad. I could mix an entire set of drums with the Mackie and it would do just fine. I have a decent Fostex noise gate/compressor I could run on the input signal to help tweak out the noise. Using dynamic mics, I'm sure it would be tolerable.

For $229 this unit seems to be a good deal. I'm really glad you are liking yours, Misha.

Archived